• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grass snake (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
We haven't had a grass snake in our garden for at least five years when I found one in our top pond.

Yesterday morning OH was quite taken aback to find one slithering around in a flower bed. According to my Collins book, grass snakes have become rarer in recent years. They like compost heaps to lay their eggs in ... and we have five compost heaps! :eek!:

Are grass snakes becoming rarer?

I seem to remember as a kid seeing Grass snakes on a regular basis, even caught one for a pet (that was before we knew better) it must be close to a decade since I saw my last one. Have they become very scarce or is West Yorkshire a poor location for them? My childhood was in Cheshire. I See Adders most years which I never saw in Cheshire so its not all bad.

Mick.

There are nine subspecies of grass snake
Not quite...
According to "The Snakes of Europe" (Kreiner, 2007.), there are 12 subspecies in Europe (based on info gathered by Kabisch, 1999.), and two more outside Europe (on Cyprus and from E Cilicia to N Syria), bringing the total number up to 14.

But the exact number of subspecies of Natrix natrix is a subject widely debated. Some accept this current situation, others think that the subspecies' are actually different forms (like the zig-zag, zebra and melanistic forms of the Adder).

I think a thorough study needs to be made in all of Europe and DNA samples (as well as morphological data) need to be collected, so that this situation can finally be resolved.

Are grass snakes becoming rarer?
Yes they are.
and we have five compost heaps!
If your compost heaps are "the way they like them" (big enough to have a constant humidity/temp. rating in at least one part, and that the rating is the one they need), I'd suggest you don't overturn the heaps during egg laying season and during the time it takes the young to develop.
Then, when the young do start emerging, you'll see plenty. :)

Then, when the young do start emerging, you'll see plenty.

Am not sure if that is a good thing or not! :eek!:

Very interesting information, thank you.

I noticed this afternoon that it has shed its skin.

Attachments

• skin1.jpg
    skin1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 79
  • skin2.jpg
    skin2.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 76
  • skin3.jpg
    skin3.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back