• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax DCF SW 8X25? Anyone have/use these? (1 Viewer)

Tantien

Hi All,

Looking for a good review of the Pentax DCF SW 8X25. Other than the narrow FOV, these look like good sharp binos. I recently, very briefly tried out these at an optics show and did like them, but would like any other opinions on them.

Thanks!

Glenn

Glen,

They are nice and bright with neutral colour rendition and excellent sharpness. Field of view is quite narrow as you say. Focus is accurate and true and build quality is also good.

Nice compact option

Regards

Steve

Glen,

They are nice and bright with neutral colour rendition and excellent sharpness. Field of view is quite narrow as you say. Focus is accurate and true and build quality is also good.

Nice compact option

Regards

Steve

Excellent! Now I need to determine if that narrow FOV is a limitation. I'm now seeing that wider FOV appears to detract from sharpness, so is a trade-off (learning as I go).

Thanks much Steve.

Glenn

I, too, had the opportunity to try these out at one of the optics shows. They are impressive for the price with good centerfield sharpness and color rendition.

I just purchased this bin from Amazon and then found this thread. Sadly, I have to retire my Olympus PCIII 7x21 since I just started
wearing eyeglasses. The Olympus is just terrible with the glasses. I tried to adjust , but the ER is just too short (11mm). This Pentax has 21mm ER according to the listed specs. I'm hoping the image quality is as good as the Olympus. The Olympus has a nice wide FOV, so I am downgrading here with the Pentax. However, the Pentax is waterproof and folds up. I keep my compact in my handbag, so it should fit nicely although it is a little heavier than the Olympus, but alas I can't have it all.

Glad to see these nice comments about this binocular. I'll post my impressions after I receive it.

I just purchased this bin from Amazon and then found this thread. Sadly, I have to retire my Olympus PCIII 7x21 since I just started
wearing eyeglasses. The Olympus is just terrible with the glasses. I tried to adjust , but the ER is just too short (11mm). This Pentax has 21mm ER according to the listed specs. I'm hoping the image quality is as good as the Olympus. The Olympus has a nice wide FOV, so I am downgrading here with the Pentax. However, the Pentax is waterproof and folds up. I keep my compact in my handbag, so it should fit nicely although it is a little heavier than the Olympus, but alas I can't have it all.

Glad to see these nice comments about this binocular. I'll post my impressions after I receive it.

Annabeth, welcome to the world of the "four eyes." It's not all bad. There are lots of binoculars that work well with glasses these days. Depending on the style of your glasses and the design of eyecups, about 16mm of eye relief and up generally work well for me. Anything over 20mm generally strikes me as more than needed. 21mm should work well though, as long as the eyecups are right.

I had a Pentax 8x42 with 23mm of eye relief--just too much. I got blackouts with them. So I resorted to rubber O-rings that backed the cups out a couple mm. I did the same with mt 8.5 SV (20mm relief), but my new glasses sit a bit further from my face so I'm taking them back out again. Sometimes you have to tinker and experiment.

Let us know about the Pentax. And let us know if having the astigmatism corrected makes a difference. For me, it's absolutely essential, but my astigmatism must be kinda bad.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm grateful that my CL is fine with the glasses.
Wearing glasses has improved my bird watching experience already.
It's like the CL has been upgraded. It's a significant improvement.
I'm happy that I finally got glasses. I was in denial for quite a while there
until I realized it was my eyes and not the bins.

I used the Pentax a bit in the field yesterday and today.
I also put it head to head against the Olympus 7x21 just
20 min. ago using the optics test printout chart (I hung on the
wall in my living room).

Pros of the Pentax:
1. Feels very comfortable in the hand with nice smooth
rubber armor.
2. ER is good for glasses/specs.
3. Fits nice in my handbag; nice and small.
4. Decent bright view.

Cons:
1. Very tedious lining up to the small exit pupil wearing the glasses.
2. IPD adjustment is frustrating on these fold up compacts. It doesn't stay
set for too long.
3. diopter gets knocked out of its setting sometimes.
4. Loose, cheap eyecups.

The 7x Olympus out resolves the 8x Pentax at the same distance
Viewing the chart. The Olympus PCIII was purchased for a third
of the cost of the Pentax.

I've decided to return the Pentax, as I feel it's a bit
frustrating to use. Others may have a very different
experience with this compact and really like it.
It's not a bad bin at all...just not the best for me.

Last edited:
Annabeth,

So which of the compacts are you going to give a shot next? I have been kicking around the idea of picking up another as well. Eye relief isn't as much of an issue with me considering the narrow diameter eyecups found on most of the compact models but when I am doing my research I will make note of eye relief measurements for you. What is your max price limit? $100?

Annabeth,

So which of the compacts are you going to give a shot next? I have been kicking around the idea of picking up another as well. Eye relief isn't as much of an issue with me considering the narrow diameter eyecups found on most of the compact models but when I am doing my research I will make note of eye relief measurements for you. What is your max price limit? $100?

well, I don't think I'm going to concentrate on a compact for the time being.
I will just use the CL during the work week in place of the Olympus. I used the Olympus primarily during the work week on my lunch breaks (and sometimes before work) at the local parks. Maybe I won't replace my
CL and instead use it as sort of my 'compact' (albeit a large compact lol). I was thinking of simply bringing the CL with me to work in its case and bringing it out on lunch when I want to sit in the park. I'm not sure if this will work out, but I'll give it a try.

I'm having a hard time with the idea of replacing the CL. I just like it too much. I was going to replace the CL with the Meopro that is still on it's way shipping to me. But, I may just keep them both and then get my 10x for duck viewing and stuff like that. It's a new configuration for me; the idea of 3 bins of different powers for different uses, so I will see over time if this strategy works or if my original plan of obtaining just one all-around bin like a high end 8x32 will seem better. I'll work it out over time and find out what I like. I've never owned a 10x so it is something I want to try out. Plus, I've only had one full size before. I'm thinking of a 10x42 ... hope I like it. I won't know unless I try.

sorry for so much info.

Ok. Let me know if you change your mind.

Will do Frank...and thanks so much. I may ask you about some 10x models
in the near future if you don't mind. That Sightron 10x42 has average ER, but then again so does my CL which works fine with my glasses.
However, it's probably safer to order something with long ER listed. That sports place down the street will supposedly be getting a new
order of bins in soon according to the guy in the gun shop. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back