• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do other alphas compare to the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25 Combo? (1 Viewer)

"So we have a situation where the Ultravid HD doesn’t differ markedly from the Ultravid BR and the Ultravid BR is an almost identical copy of the Trinovid but closed in a lighter casing. It seems that for almost 25 years, Leica haven’t introduced any innovative optical solutions to its key series of binoculars. Of course, the weight reduction and hydrophobic coatings are appreciated, along with a slight transmission increase or a tad wider field of view.

Still, such a reputable company should have done better, especially if you take into account the length of the period of time we are talking about. As a result of such stagnation, Leica devices started to compete with each other: you can still buy a second-hand specimen of Trinovids in mint condition for half the price of the new Ultravids HD-Plus."

From Allbinos.
Or..... Leica smashed it out the ball park 20years ago...But I see little enough difference to spend the huge increase.

So I am looking for a compromise... binoculars that has great optics (priority), at least like the two that I have, lighter than EL8.5x42 and still very comfortable for long-day use, not the short eyecup problem of the 8x25... I don't seem to have much problem with non-flat-filed binoculars as long as the optics are excellent (contrast, clarity, no CA etc.), in fact, I feel that it has a more natural image when looking through...
You are describing FL 8x32, which should be added to your list. NOS or other nice examples can still be found. (UV may not meet your standard for CA)

I think those two binoculars you have are among the best in category. It wasn't too long ago that the EL 8.5X42 was THE binocular to have. I'd say not much has changed but advertising and new models with very similar optics and much higher prices. The VP 8X25 is probably as good as you are going to get in an 8X25.

A GREAT binocular that I have recently been using, and smaller/lighter than the EL would be the Leica Ultravid HD+ 8X32. It would be something a little different than what you have with no compromise optics.

I agree on both the VP 8x25 quality and the Leica 8x32 as an option. For a cheaper 8x32 option but still very good image quality perhaps the Meopta Meostar?

You are describing FL 8x32, which should be added to your list. NOS or other nice examples can still be found. (UV may not meet your standard for CA)
That is a good suggestion. I like FLs. Again, I've never used a pair of 32s, but I own a pair of 42s and they are in some ways the best binoculars that I have ever looked through. Phenomenally bright with excellent colors. Also, just nice to hold and to use. I bet the 32s are awesome.

Good call on the Meopta Meostar.... It is right up there in the oprical quality department, built like a tank, and stellar warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back