• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do other alphas compare to the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25 Combo? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

Hello there,

Now I have the Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25. So far I like the combo a lot. But when I did the bird photography in the field, the EL8x42 started to get heavy and the 8x25 was too small and uncomfortable for a long time use (especially short eyecups). So I am looking for a compromise between the two. I am looking for binoculars that has great optics (priority), at least like the two that I have, lighter than EL8.5x42 and still very comfortable for long-day use, not the short eyecup problem of the 8x25. So I am wondering if I could get some comments on the quality of these binoculars compared to the EL 8.5x42 and Victory 8x25. I don't seem to have much problem with non-flat-filed binoculars as long as the optics are excellent (contrast, clarity, no CA etc.), in fact, I feel that it has a more natural image when looking through. I do hate seeing pine trees looking like a sheet of paper through EL8.5x42.

I am interested in,

Zeiss SF8x32
Swarovski EL8x32 (rather hard to find)
Zeiss SFL 8x40
Zeis SFL8x30
Are there any good Nikon option and other brands in this range that is worth considering?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

Last edited:
I would get the SFL 8x40 and the SFL 8x30 to replace what you have. The SFL 8x40 is hard to beat for an all around binocular, and the SFL 8x30 would give you a smaller, lighter more comfortable binocular for hiking since it sounds like you don't care if it is pocketable like the Zeiss Victory 8x25.

The SF 8x32 would give you a wider FOV than the SFL 8x40, but it has more glare and the colors are more accurate and truer on the SFL. Even though the EL 8x32 is a fine binocular it has quite a bit of glare also which the SFL 8x40 doesn't and the SFL has a much better faster, smoother focuser.

The SFL 8x40 and SFL 8x30 are much better binoculars than the Nikon MHG 8x42 and Nikon MHG 8x30 optically, and IMO they are easily worth the difference in price if just for the smoother focuser alone. I compared them, and I am very cheap, and I kept the SFL 8x40 over the MHG 8x42.

The SFL's have a wonderful fast smooth focuser which has to be the high point of the binocular.

Last edited:
Hello there,

Now I have the Swarovski EL 8x42 and Zeiss Victory 8x25. So far I like the combo a lot. But when I did the bird photography in the field, the EL8x42 started to get heavy and the 8x25 was too small and uncomfortable for a long time use (especially short eyecups). So I am looking for a compromise between the two. I am looking for binoculars that has great optics (priority), at least like the two that I have, lighter than EL8.5x42 and still very comfortable for long-day use, not the short eyecup problem of the 8x25. So I am wondering if I could get some comments on the quality of these binoculars compared to the EL 8x42 and Victory 8x25. I don't seem to have much problem with non-flat-filed binoculars as long as the optics are excellent (contrast, clarity, no CA etc.), in fact, I feel that it has a more natural image when looking through. I do hate seeing pine trees looking like a sheet of paper through EL8.5x42.

I am interested in,

Zeiss SF8x32
Swarovski EL8x32 (rather hard to find)
Zeiss SFL 8x40
Zeis SFL8x30
Are there any good Nikon option and other brands in this range that is worth considering?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn
With the short list you have there, is there anyway for you to check them out before buying?, all the optics on there are premium, but try the test for ergonomics, structural facial features etc. which in the end will decide if they are user friendly. There are many threads of premium glass not working out for individuals because of this.

If your primary focus is bird photography and the binoculars are mainly being used to spot for your camera, you'll probably want something quite light and handy: even one of the smaller bird photography camera setups is going to be pretty large and bulky.

It looks as though you don't wear glasses - if so, the small 8x30s like the SFL or Nikon's Monarch HG, although light, handy and having a good field of view (which can help in finding targets for your camera) and easier to use for long periods than the 8x25, might have similar issues with narrow eyecups. I've read some suggestions that fitting aftermarket rubber eyecups might help with this. If you can't get along with an 8x30, try a light 8x40/42 - the SFL is the obvious candidate, but the Nikon Monarch HG in the same format is worth trying as well. Maybe also Leica's Ultravid - lots of photographers seem to like the "Leica view".

I think those two binoculars you have are among the best in category. It wasn't too long ago that the EL 8.5X42 was THE binocular to have. I'd say not much has changed but advertising and new models with very similar optics and much higher prices. The VP 8X25 is probably as good as you are going to get in an 8X25.

A GREAT binocular that I have recently been using, and smaller/lighter than the EL would be the Leica Ultravid HD+ 8X32. It would be something a little different than what you have with no compromise optics.

You mentioned Nikon. The Nikon Monarch HG 8X30 would be a nice way for you to go as well. It won't be quite up to the Leica standard but it's smaller/lighter/less expensive. I've owned one several years and I use it all the time. The reason is it's the smallest/lightest really nice binocular I have.

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg

I think those two binoculars you have are among the best in category. It wasn't too long ago that the EL 8.5X42 was THE binocular to have. I'd say not much has changed but advertising and new models with very similar optics and much higher prices. The VP 8X25 is probably as good as you are going to get in an 8X25.

A GREAT binocular that I have recently been using, and smaller/lighter than the EL would be the Leica Ultravid HD+ 8X32. It would be something a little different than what you have with no compromise optics.

You mentioned Nikon. The Nikon Monarch HG 8X30 would be a nice way for you to go as well. It won't be quite up to the Leica standard but it's smaller/lighter/less expensive. I've owned one several years and I use it all the time. The reason is it's the smallest/lightest really nice binocular I have.

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg
Glad to see the UV 8X32 works for you.

Ultravid 32s are great. Also, Leica has a lot of great models over the last few generations, so you can get some truly excellent binoculars for a good price if you are interested in going down the used route. I have the 8x32 Trinovids from the mid 2000s and they are very good.
From your list, I'd get the SFs. I've never used a pair of 32s, but I owned the 10x42s and was very impressed.

Ultravid 32s are great. Also, Leica has a lot of great models over the last few generations, so you can get some truly excellent binoculars for a good price if you are interested in going down the used route. I have the 8x32 Trinovids from the mid 2000s and they are very good.
From your list, I'd get the SFs. I've never used a pair of 32s, but I owned the 10x42s and was very impressed.
Choosing between the SF 8x32 and the SFL 8x40 or SFL 8x30 comes down to three things. If you would rather have a larger FOV and you can tolerate a little glare get the SF 8x32, but if you don't mind a slightly smaller FOV with less glare get the SFL 8x40 and if you want to spend way less money get the SFL 8x40 or SFL 8x30.

Choosing between the SF 8x32 and the SFL 8x40 or SFL 8x30 comes down to three things. If you would rather have a larger FOV and you can tolerate a little glare get the SF 8x32, but if you don't mind a slightly smaller FOV with less glare get the SFL 8x40 and if you want to spend way less money get the SFL 8x40 or SFL 8x30.
Yeah, I've been reading your SFL reviews on that other thread. They sound really nice. I haven't tried them yet personally, so by all means. I'm sure the weight savings between a 42 vs 40 or a 32 vs 30 is also appreciated.

Swaro 8x30 Habicht.... despite it's shortcomings.... the view is to die for.
Put up with its' faults and smile everytime you look through them.
Then hand them down as an heirloom.(y)

I forgot to add the Ultravid 8x32 into the list as well. I have never tried these ones. Is it worth going after the newer version or do the old ones still be just fine?

I forgot to add the Ultravid 8x32 into the list as well. I have never tried these ones. Is it worth going after the newer version or do the old ones still be just fine?
Very little difference, you would be hard to spot it!!! I've ended up with late serial number BN's... which were before the Ultravid, the Ultravid HD, and of course the Ultravid HD+.....they were actually VERY close to the current Ultravids.... surprisingly close!!
In a recent post on this forum, someone just posted he bought some Ultra HD+'s, and sold them as they were not enough of an improvement over the BN's.
Leica will service them for you if required.
8x32 Ultravids are a great binocular though... if they work for you.... short eye relief and very small. Built to perfection.

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_1521.jpeg
Chill’ you have such a nice collection - I can’t recall if you’ve tried the SFL’s? I remain very impressed with both!

Chill’ you have such a nice collection - I can’t recall if you’ve tried the SFL’s? I remain very impressed with both!
Yeah! I do have the 8X40 SFL. I think I bought it around December 2022 because I used it and the Retrovid 8X40 on the December bird count. Really just an excellent binocular. May be the best thing Zeiss has done in years. In using it it comes across more of a 42mm than a 32mm though to me. I tend to think of it as a lightweight 42mm instead of a super 32mm.

F7046DD6-8229-4894-A4C9-8C8A3950B75D_1_201_a.jpeg

Very little difference, you would be hard to spot it!!! I've ended up with late serial number BN's... which were before the Ultravid, the Ultravid HD, and of course the Ultravid HD+.....they were actually VERY close to the current Ultravids.... surprisingly close!!
In a recent post on this forum, someone just posted he bought some Ultra HD+'s, and sold them as they were not enough of an improvement over the BN's.
Leica will service them for you if required.
8x32 Ultravids are a great binocular though... if they work for you.... short eye relief and very small. Built to perfection.
"So we have a situation where the Ultravid HD doesn’t differ markedly from the Ultravid BR and the Ultravid BR is an almost identical copy of the Trinovid but closed in a lighter casing. It seems that for almost 25 years, Leica haven’t introduced any innovative optical solutions to its key series of binoculars. Of course, the weight reduction and hydrophobic coatings are appreciated, along with a slight transmission increase or a tad wider field of view.

Still, such a reputable company should have done better, especially if you take into account the length of the period of time we are talking about. As a result of such stagnation, Leica devices started to compete with each other: you can still buy a second-hand specimen of Trinovids in mint condition for half the price of the new Ultravids HD-Plus."

From Allbinos.

Yeah! I do have the 8X40 SFL. I think I bought it around December 2022 because I used it and the Retrovid 8X40 on the December bird count. Really just an excellent binocular. May be the best thing Zeiss has done in years. In using it it comes across more of a 42mm than a 32mm though to me. I tend to think of it as a lightweight 42mm instead of a super 32mm.

F7046DD6-8229-4894-A4C9-8C8A3950B75D_1_201_a.jpeg
Nice picture. Interesting that the SFL 8x40 is smaller than the Retrovid 8x40.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back