• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Golden Oriole? (1 Viewer)

Hi Michael - Fancy bumping into u: remember me from Millfield House, Jesmond Dene?
The most striking feature of the mystery bird was its bright red eye! If I remember correctly the bill was slightly downcurved! It was also flying from bush to bush by the side of a lagoon. [Black-winged stilt and Greenshank were there every day.]

eric nicho said:
.... The most striking feature of the mystery bird was its bright red eye! If I remember correctly the bill was slightly downcurved! ...
A strikingly noticeable bright red eye makes it sound far more like an African Golden Oriole than a Eurasian (whose eyes look more brick-red to me). Still not happy about the grey-blue bill though. Was there any spotting or streaking through the throat/breast?

helenh

There was streaking on the breast I think. The bill was definitely greyish blue not pink or red. .[?]
Incidentally my Heinzel/Fitter has blackbird and GO only half an inch difference! [10 & 9.5 respectively]

If it's a GO then the streaking on the breast and lack of pink bill would indicate a sub-adult male - but I still don't like the bright red eye for Eurasian (but I'm not an expert - I've mainly seen them in Kenya where they're a migrant in both late Autumn and early Spring). Being used to seeing them alongside African Golden Orioles which have a really striking bright red eye may be confusing me!

eric nicho said:
Hi Michael - Fancy bumping into u: remember me from Millfield House, Jesmond Dene?
The most striking feature of the mystery bird was its bright red eye! If I remember correctly the bill was slightly downcurved! It was also flying from bush to bush by the side of a lagoon. [Black-winged stilt and Greenshank were there every day.]
Hi Eric,

Hadn't realised it was you, Eric's a common enough name so I didn't make the connection . . .

Been out birding all day today, only just got in to find over 150 new posts to plough through

Michael

I take it the bill was definitely that colour originally, and was not just dirty/stained? not meaning to cast any aspersions on your observations Eric, just I often see blackbirds etc that have been eating berries with odd coloured bills.

helenh said:
If it's a GO then the streaking on the breast and lack of pink bill would indicate a sub-adult male - but I still don't like the bright red eye for Eurasian (but I'm not an expert - I've mainly seen them in Kenya where they're a migrant in both late Autumn and early Spring). Being used to seeing them alongside African Golden Orioles which have a really striking bright red eye may be confusing me!

Im coming round to the idea that it was a weaver: but the only one in my Birds Of Gambia which is a possibility is village weaver.

Ashley beolens said:
I take it the bill was definitely that colour originally, and was not just dirty/stained? not meaning to cast any aspersions on your observations Eric, just I often see blackbirds etc that have been eating berries with odd coloured bills.
I'm pretty certain it was naturally that colour [but of course it's a possibility!]

eric nicho said:
Im coming round to the idea that it was a weaver: but the only one in my Birds Of Gambia which is a possibility is village weaver.
If you're certain on the size (ie close to a Blackbird) then I'd be surprised if it was a Village Weaver - they're only about 155mm at max size. That said they're chunky birds which can look bigger than they actually are! Of course it could be an escaped cage bird - are weavers bred for size by cage bird fanciers?

Golden Oriole records from the Canaries are rare and tend to occur in March, April and May with the males appearing a few weeks before the females, at least on Fuerteventura (Aves del Archipelago Canario). The only winter record was from Tenerife in 1985.

helenh said:
Of course it could be an escaped cage bird - are weavers bred for size by cage bird fanciers?

No, I have never heard of that... Anyway, how was the jizz (& bill shape)? Oriole versus Ploceus Weaver - we are talkin' two very different birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back