• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what to replace kowa tsn 663 ed with? (1 Viewer)

meltoc

I am looking to change exchange my kowa 663ed with something bigger.

I am a target shooter and at 100yds there are occasions that i can not see my .22 shot holes. Mainly on sunny days.

There are two second hand scopes that are available that have larger objecive lens and are trusted models. Both for same price.

Leica televid 77 and kowa 823 ed.

Which would the better buy. Would it really be worth spending roughly £300 to change into them (ie would I notice the difference?)

I am not in a position to try as they are geographically miles away.

Thanks for help in advance

I will assume you are using the maximum 60x mag the Kowa 663 can deliver. Unless you can increase magnification beyond 60x on ANY scope you will probably waste your money. Only fieldscope choices with more than 60x magnification now are the Nikon ED82 w/25-75x and the Zeiss FL85 w/20-75x. But 75x may not even be enough. You need to test by measuring the distance you can CLEARLY see the holes naked eye and divide that into 100yds to get the minimum mag needed. If you need more than 75x you need to get an astro scope like a relatively inexpensive Celestron C5.

There are some Field scopes that accept astronomy eyepieces,with ,or without the use of adapter.....also ,a large scope will deliver a brighter image at 60X,and due to longer focal lenght ,it would grant more magnification when using the same eyepiece...The eyepiece used in the 663 granting 20X for instance,would give 25X in the 823....

So the question is ..what power do you mostly use?

I am a target shooter and at 100yds there are occasions that i can not see my .22 shot holes. Mainly on sunny days.

I assume that heat haze is the cause of the problem as .22 holes at 100 yds and 60x magnification should normally be easily discerned.
A larger objective would be counter-productive as it would be even more sensitive to atmospheric disturbances.

John

picture the scene
targets out at 100yds, a whole row of them. Target in front and a backer (white piece of paper) directly behind the target. The backer is there to aid the vision of the shot hole.
I would say that in the main I have difficulty see-ing the shots when the shadow of the neighbouring target falls on my backer. Especially when it is sunny (yes with mirage)

Thanks for all the help meantime

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back