• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Leica Scopes (1 Viewer)

You need to know that I have not tried it, I have just read what other people think. It could be amazing. I don't think anyone at bf has yet evaluated it. Try to found one at a local store and try it out, maybe it will suit you. :)

I love my Swar HD80.. Just was thinking of mabe getting a leica 82MM possibly. Thanks, jerry

.....it has a, blue I think, color bias. This is something both the Zeiss diascope and from what ive heard the Leica suffers from. It is a quite nasty feature, imo, since it can really make it harder to id birds when the colour is of the essence.
The Swarovski on the other hand got a clear and lovely neutral tone ;)

I don't know about the latest editions of these brands. But it used to be the other way around. My brother's Swaro has a blue cast, whereas my Leica APO 77 and Nikon EDIII 60 scopes are fairly neutral. The Zeiss scope used to have a yellow cast. Maybe still has, though my FL binoculars are quite neutral.

The times has changed maybe ;) Yeah the Zeiss is yellow, I meant colour bias when I wrote "both", not "blue colour bias". The Diascope must have some coating that cause the yellow that their FL series does not have.

I don't know about the latest editions of these brands. But it used to be the other way around. My brother's Swaro has a blue cast, whereas my Leica APO 77 and Nikon EDIII 60 scopes are fairly neutral. The Zeiss scope used to have a yellow cast. Maybe still has, though my FL binoculars are quite neutral.

I've got one of the 82mm Leica scopes and love it. I used to own a 77mm Televid and found that to be very color neutral. The 82mm Televid is superb and I would say it's as good if not better than the other contenders on the market. Having said that, for $4K one should be able to have higher expectations for this scope.
Jerry, I see you live in Ohio. I'll be at the Midwest Birding Symposium in September. If you are in the area, stop by our booth and I'd be happy to let you take it for a test spin to draw your own conclusions.
Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Looked through one at the bird fair last year.
It was a tempting scope, very good, clear image.
However, I like my APO77, and of course the old lenses and digital camera adaptor I have don't fit the new scope. The new scope is awesome though, but over two and a half grand is a bit much.

I've got one of the 82mm Leica scopes and love it. I used to own a 77mm Televid and found that to be very color neutral. The 82mm Televid is superb and I would say it's as good if not better than the other contenders on the market. Having said that, for $4K one should be able to have higher expectations for this scope.
Jerry, I see you live in Ohio. I'll be at the Midwest Birding Symposium in September. If you are in the area, stop by our booth and I'd be happy to let you take it for a test spin to draw your own conclusions.
Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Hi Ben, Many thanks for the heads up on this event as i had no idea about it. I am very serious about getting this new Leica 82MM APO Unit. Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan is getting one in this Saturday AM for me to just look at. I wont be buying it at the store as the sales tax is heavy on 4grand. I already have a Straight HD80 Swar and am looking for a angled unit possibly. How do I obtain the address to the show in Lakewood, Ohio..?

Thanks, Jerry

Hi Ben, Many thanks for the heads up on this event as i had no idea about it. I am very serious about getting this new Leica 82MM APO Unit. Cabellas in Dundee, Michigan is getting one in this Saturday AM for me to just look at. I wont be buying it at the store as the sales tax is heavy on 4grand. I already have a Straight HD80 Swar and am looking for a angled unit possibly. How do I obtain the address to the show in Lakewood, Ohio..?

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry,
The event is at a resort community called Lakeside.
Here is a link: http://www.lakesideohio.com/
I've never been there so I don't know much else about it.

The event website lists the trade show hours etc: https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/mwb/main.php

Right now we have an 82mm APO with an eyepiece that was demoed at a birding event in Alaska. If you don't mind a mark on the bottom of the tripod mounting foot, I can give you a very competitive price on it (we got a deal on it from Leica).

Ben

Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back