• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 82 - first impressions (4 Viewers)

Will K

Too well-known member
United Kingdom
I recently upgraded my spotting scope to a Leica APO Televid 82. I found a good deal on a used model online, and despite my conviction to wait until I’d had a chance to try it, I upgraded on the spur of the moment. Not the wisest move, for sure, but I felt like taking a risk.

For the last year or so I’ve been using a Vortex Razor 85mm, and although I love that scope, it does have a tendency to show chromatic aberration which is becoming more and more noticeable to my eyes. The Razor is an excellent scope for the price, but I’ve always known that I’d move toward the more expensive options eventually. Having used an NL Pure 12x42 for a while, I'm certainly addicted to chasing the best optical experiences.

I weighed up the choice between this, a Swarovski ATX and a Zeiss Harpia for several months (other scopes were considered, but these three were always the front runners). It is rather unusual that I would pick the Lecia, of course, but I always respect a good deal when I see it!

The optical qualities are outstanding, of course, and the Leica beats the Razor in every respect: brightness, AFOV, edge clarity, chromatic aberration. I read online that the Lecia is rated for 80-degree AFOV at 50x, which is fantastic, and I can certainly believe it when looking through the scope. CA is still present, but very much reduced in comparison with the Razor. The view is brighter in the Lecia, with additional colour and quite a lot more contrast than the Vortex. When using the Razor it is obvious when the focussing system has achieved maximum clarity, but with the Lecia I experience the same thing as when using the NL Pure – I’ll casually focus on an object, pause, and then realise with a surprise that it is possible to get even more focussed, and readjust accordingly! Some people have noted a tendency toward spherical aberration in the Leica, although I don’t see anything like that myself.

The build quality is excellent. The Leica is solid, strong, and tastefully designed. This is to be expected from Leica. Although in this particular model there is a slight sponginess to the focus wheels. I’m not sure if other examples will show this effect, too. It makes focusing a little fiddly. The scope is noticeably heaver and bulkier than the Razor, too, which is a surprise given the reduction in objective size (3-degrees). However, I was always rather cautious about removing the eyepiece with the Razor – the housing and rubber grip always felt rather delicate. The Lecia, on the other hand, seems bulletproof.

I’ve just ordered a 1.8x extender, and can’t wait to try that out. I’m expecting a dramatic reduction in brightness and eye relief across the magnification range, although on the right day, a boost to 90x might be just the ticket.

I still find myself wondering if I should have saved up a little longer and got a Swarovski ATX. I’ll see how I feel next year. In the meantime, the Leica APO Televid 82 will make a wonderful upgrade!

IMG_4173.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4174.jpg

Congrats! I wish you get also Harpia and BTX. I've got wow effect when first time switched from simple Levenhuk scope to Pentax 100.

Nice looking scope! I've always wanted to try the current Televid 82. Maybe a used one will come up or I'll sell something...LOL

Just wondering if the objective hood on the Televid is rotatable?
On the first versions I saw many years ago, it was not, so the sighting device, at least on the angled versions, is useless!

John

Just wondering if the objective hood on the Televid is rotatable?
On the first versions I saw many years ago, it was not, so the sighting device, at least on the angled versions, is useless!

John
Yes, the hood rotates. That makes angled viewing easier, and i rarely keep it perfectly straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back