• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors in upstate NY (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I just moved to the area and am very interested in bird photography, especially birds of prey.

I was looking for suggestions from forum members for good locations where I might be able to spot raptors. Also, is this a good time of the year?

I did find out about Braddock Bay up in Rochester, but have no idea if this is a good time to observe the birds.

I am in the Hopewell Junction/Fishkill area and don't mind driving upto Rochester (weather permitting), but would like to know if it is worth the drive.

Of course, other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Avi

Hi Avi,
This is a slow time of year for raptors, because many have gone south for the season.
However, there may be resident birds that stay over, notably Coopers and Red Tails, as well as maybe a wintering Rough Leg. These should now be a bit easier to spot and take photos of absent the leaves.
Fishkill is a pretty good area, water nearby and open ground for them to hunt over, so I'm not sure Rochester offers much better opportunities. Snowy Owls are currently irrupting into the area, some even here near NYC, so that might be an immediate target, if you are lucky.

Hi,

I actually ended up going to Eaglefest at Croton Point Park, but that was disappointing, because I ended up seeing more ducks/crows and gulls than bald eagles!

I did see a beautiful hawk though and snapped some pictures. Will upload them tonight.

Thanks.

Avi

Hello Avi,

There are quite a few good areas within a 20 mile radius of Fishkill area to see alot Raptors. Here are my suggestions:

- Constitution Marsh (i.e. Audubon Center), Cold Spring, NY
- Fahnstock State Park, Cold Spring, NY
- Hook Mountain, Nyack, NY (There is an annual Hawk watch that takes place usually in the fall, and very productive). See the link below.
http://www.battaly.com/hook/
- Rockland Lake State Park, Congers, NY (Many species of Raptors (i.e. Hawks, Owles and Bald Eagles at times). One of my favorite spots.
- Iona Island State Park, Stony Point, NY (My favorite spot fo Bald Eagles and saw many perched above the Hudson River there, this past winter)
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55673.html

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I just moved to the area and am very interested in bird photography, especially birds of prey.

I was looking for suggestions from forum members for good locations where I might be able to spot raptors. Also, is this a good time of the year?

I did find out about Braddock Bay up in Rochester, but have no idea if this is a good time to observe the birds.

I am in the Hopewell Junction/Fishkill area and don't mind driving upto Rochester (weather permitting), but would like to know if it is worth the drive.

Of course, other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Avi

If you want to see raptors Derby Hill on the southeast corner of Lake Ontario is a premier spot just go on their website and the numbers will blow you away. A good spot for Eagle watching is the Montezuma National Wildlife Preserve just west of Syracuse, NY. I know this post is late but I just joined the forum. I'm sure the migration is over but you could plan a trip to Derby Hill in the fall. Again just check their website for info. Hope this helps.

Peddler :t:

Peddler and Lyman,

Many thanks. I think between the places you have listed, I have enough to keep me busy this year.:)

I am really looking forward to visiting the places in that list this Fall.

I will keep you updated with pictures etc. The below is from Croton Point Park:

Peddler and Lyman,

Many thanks. I think between the places you have listed, I have enough to keep me busy this year.:)

I am really looking forward to visiting the places in that list this Fall.

I will keep you updated with pictures etc. The below is from Croton Point Park:

Avi, you are welcome.
Go to derbyhill.org you can download their newsletter and see all of the raptor #'s. They employ a full time counter and the property is owned by the Onondaga Audubon Society in Syracuse.

Peddler :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back