• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best bird ID book for South/Southern Africa (1 Viewer)

Foxy

Hi, I am planning a short holiday in South Africa in November including drives through Kruger NP. Is this a good time to visit this area and what is the best id book to take with me? I have suggested South/Southern Africa as I am sure to return to other areas in the future so happy to get an ‘all encompassing’ one rather than just South Africa
Thanks for any help!

Sinclair et al is the best book for Southern Africa.

I addition to a general field guide, do yourself a favour and get a copy of Faansie Peacock's LBJ Guide which in my view is essential to identify some of the more difficult groups.

And yes, November is a good time to visit.

November is the best time to visit KNP for birding. But, it will be hot. Make sure you spend time in the north of KNP, lots of special birds there too.

We don't use a bird book much now but rely on Roberts app in Southern Africa. We travel a lot in Africa, so use Birds of Sub Saharan Africa as our main book (though taxonomically its a little out of date). Birds of Africa app and Merlin app are very useful and free and taxonomy up to date.

Have a look at this website to get ideas of where the various species occur. https://www.birdmap.africa/

And on FB ask on SA Birders' Gen if you are looking more specific details.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the help and ideas, that’s fantastic. Particularly intrigued by the app as songs and calls always difficult in a strange place! Hopefully post some pictures when I get back.

Sinclair et al is the best book for Southern Africa.

Thank you: it's ordered and on the way!

Others have already mentioned the essentials, but if you have time before your travel do take a look at the YouTube webinars by Bird Life South Africa and Better Birding. They have helpful episodes on where to find birds and how to tell them apart. The content is a bit disorganised but scrolling down the history should help you pick out the ones relevant for you.

Another free app is Birds of Africa. It has pictures, calls, maps and detailed descriptions of all the species but usability isn't quite par with SASOL or Merlin.

November is the best time to visit KNP for birding. But, it will be hot. Make sure you spend time in the north of KNP, lots of special birds there too.

We don't use a bird book much now but rely on Roberts app in Southern Africa. We travel a lot in Africa, so use Birds of Sub Saharan Africa as our main book (though taxonomically its a little out of date). Birds of Africa app and Merlin app are very useful and free and taxonomy up to date.

Have a look at this website to get ideas of where the various species occur. https://www.birdmap.africa/

And on FB ask on SA Birders' Gen if you are looking more specific details.
That's really helpful thank you.

Others have already mentioned the essentials, but if you have time before your travel do take a look at the YouTube webinars by Bird Life South Africa and Better Birding. They have helpful episodes on where to find birds and how to tell them apart. The content is a bit disorganised but scrolling down the history should help you pick out the ones relevant for you.

Another free app is Birds of Africa. It has pictures, calls, maps and detailed descriptions of all the species but usability isn't quite par with SASOL or Merlin.
Great stuff thanks.

I can also highly recommend this

Looks great Andy. I will have to look at how much flexibility I will have on this trip if the book is going to be useful but I might buy it anyway to plan for future visits!

You are very likely to revisit. I've been to South Africa four times. It's a great place, very easy to do independantly and cheap.

Looks great Andy. I will have to look at how much flexibility I will have on this trip if the book is going to be useful but I might buy it anyway to plan for future visits!
It includes Kruger so is useful for that, try and get one that has the pull out ma, many of the second hand ones won't and it's really useful, especially in the planning stages.

You are very likely to revisit. I've been to South Africa four times. It's a great place, very easy to do independantly and cheap.
I suspect you will be right as Kruger just one small part and suspect we will only see a small part of that!

I addition to a general field guide, do yourself a favour and get a copy of Faansie Peacock's LBJ Guide which in my view is essential to identify some of the more difficult groups.

And yes, November is a good time to visit.
I have seen some extract pages from the LBJ Guide and it looks amazing so thank you for the suggestion. Finding a copy for sale either new or second hand is rather challenging. Looks like people tend to hang on to them which speaks volumes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back