• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification help (1 Viewer)

catmrs

Two days ago in a field toward the back of a travel lodge on the M4 between juntions 11 & 12 I saw a pair of, what I assumed were geese. I was approx 40-50metres away when they landed. Further back along the Mway there were canada geese that I see quite regularly & at first as they flew in I thought this pair had become separated. When they landed it was obvious they were not canada geese. They were of a similar size, shorter legs maybe. After only seconds plucking at the grass they sat, so I did not get a long look at their legs. The one I took to be male was making forward thrusting movements with his neck every so often. A courtship ritual? Both had pale bills. The upper wing & back were orange/brown, grey underparts. The male had black tipped tail, half collar round neck & black bar across breast. Female no neck marking, white patch beneath her wing.
I watched for almost an hour but had to leave before they did.
Can anyone help ?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back