• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus LS11 vs iphone (1 Viewer)

ardeid

I have been using an Olympus LS11 for recording birds sounds, with a Sennheiser shotgun microphone. It turns out I can use the Sennheiser microphone with my iPhone, and therefore I am considering selling the Olympus LS11.

If the quality of recording on the iPhone is much worse then the Olympus LS11, then I will stick with using the latter. What sort of things should I be looking at for eg would file type, sampling rate and stereo/mono affect quality of bird recording?

As I understand it, one of the issues using mp3 type recorders is that a lot of them will only record a narrow frequency range, as they are designed primarily for the frequencies of human voice. So before you get rid of the LS11 you should check this out. I don't know anything about frequency range in the iPhone - no doubt someone will be able to tell you.

Thanks for response.

I'm using a Sennheiser MKE 300 with iPhone. The MKE 300 has a frequency response of 150 to 17 kHz, which I believe is suitable for recording bird sounds.

As sounds are transferred from MKE 300 to recording device (iPhone), would the recording device (iPhone) somehow limit the frequency response? Or is the frequency response of the microphone the important bit?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back