• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monteverde Hummer odd coloration (1 Viewer)

bajadreamer

This bird was seen in Monteverde in February. I know that hummers can be really confusing depending on the light direction and intensity but this one is really different. There were lots of Violet Sabrewings and Green Violet-ears about the feeders, but none of them resembled this guy. These are true colors as they came out of the camera.

Attachments

• Unknown Monteverde Hummingbird.JPG
    Unknown Monteverde Hummingbird.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Your Green Violet-ear is actually now split into Lesser Violetear, and that is what this one is. As you say, light can be weird.

Niels

Thank you. I am still using the first edition of Garrigues. I have the 2nd edition waiting for me when I return to the US. If this was changed in 2016, even the 2nd edition is probably not accurate. Oh my, as if these hummers were not hard enough to ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back