• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (61 Viewers)

I spent a couple of hours at The Flashes this afternoon. The earlier heavy rain had eased and blackbird, wren, Cetti's warbler and chiffchaff were all in good voice along the boardwalk. There were also long tailed tits in the first few trees on the right hand side after the entrance.

I headed for the Henbrook Hide hoping to see the water rail family. I was soon rewarded at around 4.15pm, observing a couple of adults, each with a chick in tow. One of the adults was enjoying a bath and then after a while I saw four chicks together at the same time. I don't know whether the other three from the brood were hiding or whether they've been predated, but to see that at least four have still survived is good news. The rain returned and the family disappeared into the reeds, but the reed warblers continued to be active.

I moved on to the Avocet Hide, where species observed included a Mediterranean gull, linnet, house martins, at least two LRPs and a pair of black tailed godwits. The avocets were chasing the redshank and although I didn't count the avocet chicks today, they seemed to be thriving.

Didn't plan on going yesterday after spening a great day at Ogmoor and Bicester Wetland with Petet E, Bobby P, Keith M and Tony B.
But after a call from Tony telling me the water was rising rapidly at Flashes I made a dash for it. The water had risen to 0.5. I removed the top 2 slats on sluice for the 3 hours I was there. At 10pm the level was 0.49 dropped 1cm. No avocets had been lost and all nests were ok. The LRP nest had been abandoned and was close to being flooded out. An adult Redshank dropped down by hen pool out of sight. I am getting close to thinking that the Redshank may not be present, but I still hope that by Friday the chicks will appear. But after not seeing them change over now in last 4 visits I am not that hopeful.
Species count :
Teal 8. Shelduck 4 plus 7 chicks. Shoveler some chicks in 3rd Flash. Curlew 5. Redshank. Black tailed godwit 2. LRP 5. Avocet 40 +22 chicks. Lapwing 6 juvs. Oystercatcher 4 (1juv). Meds x2. Herring gull 2 . Peregrine.

Today's highlights until 15.00:

FLASHES:
Redshank (1)--------------------Ringed Plover (2) flew back of 2nd flash towards hide, then north west.
Avocet (40) + 22 chicks---------Oystercatcher (2) + juv
LRP(2)---------------------------Lapwing (6 juvs)
Gadwall (6)----------------------Shelduck (2) + 7 chicks
Med Gull (2x2s)------------------Med Gull/B H Gull hybrid
Teal (7)

MOORS:
Common Tern (7) + 4 chicks----Oystercatcher (4) + 1juv
Little Grebe (4) + 2 chicks-------Mute Swan (2) + 5 chicks
Gadwall (12)---------------------Tufted Duck (30)
Greylag Goose (1)----------------Hobby
Whitethroat-----------------------Lesser Whitethroat

Des.

Today's highlights until 15.00:

FLASHES:
Redshank (1)--------------------Ringed Plover (2) flew back of 2nd flash towards hide, then north west.
Avocet (40) + 22 chicks---------Oystercatcher (2) + juv
LRP(2)---------------------------Lapwing (6 juvs)
Gadwall (6)----------------------Shelduck (2) + 7 chicks
Med Gull (2x2s)------------------Med Gull/B H Gull hybrid
Teal (7)

MOORS:
Common Tern (7) + 4 chicks----Oystercatcher (4) + 1juv
Little Grebe (4) + 2 chicks-------Mute Swan (2) + 5 chicks
Gadwall (12)---------------------Tufted Duck (30)
Greylag Goose (1)----------------Hobby
Whitethroat-----------------------Lesser Whitethroat

Des.

Mike and I did not add anything after you left Des. But I took these shots of the two Med gulls displaying to each other and a shot of what appears to be a second Hybrid? (Note white in primaries and shape of brown hood.)

Attachments

• P1100211.jpg
    P1100211.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P1100234.jpg
    P1100234.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76
  • P1100235.jpg
    P1100235.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66
  • P1100242.jpg
    P1100242.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 61
  • P1100244.jpg
    P1100244.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 76
Arrived at The Flashes around 4.30pm this afternoon. The water level was around 0.49. The young avocets were continuing to do well, with most boldly foraging for food in the open. A couple of the young chicks sought refuge under one of the adults when the rain started again. Spotted at least two little ringed plover. A redshank was being chased by a lapwing. Also observed a small flock of goldfinches and an oystercatcher flying off in the direction of the Moors.

Thank you to whoever supplied the new bird guide for the Avocet Hide - some lovely illustrations of the Med gull to study.

I then went to the Henbrook Hide. Saw at least two (possibly three) water rail chicks and one adult. To the left of the hide, a fledgling reed warbler was being tended to by both its parents. It was perched among the dead hawthorn in the nettles, looking strong as it stretched its legs. Let's hope that there are more to follow.

I did write a resume of a wet evening at the Flashes, but it appears not to have loaded 😒 Upshot was - at least eight Shoveler chicks on third flash, a Green Sandpiper, one Redshank, two Med Gulls and all else much the same.

My mission today was to get the definitive answer to the Redshank mystery.
Although I started at the Moors this morning.
A bit quiet as the explosion in vegetation around Amy's Marsh is making it difficult to see ground feeding birds withe added complication of a 10cm increase in water level.
Moors species count :
GCG 2. little grebe 2. cormorant. Mute swan pr + 5 cygnets. Greylag. teal female. Oystercatcher 4 juvs 2:2. Lapwing 3. Common tern 3rd brood hatched 2 poss 3 chicks at least 6 chicks and another sitting (low numbers this year). A few more sedge warblers noted today. Nuthatch by chestnut tree.

On to the Flashes. Where surprisingly after 4 days of inaction Alan H told me that the Redshank had gone back into the nest site. The other adult was seen more regularly than of late ...so maybe things are about to happen:t:.
On the avocet front another brood hatched , but 1 of the 2 chicks on the east shoreline of 2nd Flash has been lost. Lapwing juvs are now flying more often so we should be able to say for sure how many fledged. The Oystercatcher chick is now fully fledged. A sign of the impending autumn is the reappearance of the curlews and the flock will start to build up - look out for juveniles we don't get many but always worth scanning through the flock.
Species count Flashes :
Teal 6. Shelduck 4 + 7 chicks. Shoveler plus chicks 3rd Flash. Gadwall. Mallard c12 broods. Tufted c12. look out for broods of young. Egyptian geese 2
Avocet 38 (11 broods totalling 23 chicks) I have drawn a map in log book to help follow their progress). still. 6 more sitting and another scraping. thus 18. pairs this year. LRP 3. Redshank 2. lapwing 7 juvs - birds gathering in meadow. Curlew 5. oystercatcher 3. Med Gull 3 x 2nd summers. Herring gull. Raven 2 juvs on mast. Lesser whitethroat juv by steps. sedge warblers feeding young . plenty of reed warblers in 1st Flash reed bed. In scrubby area by bridge there was a lot of passerine activity. Lesser whitethroat. chiffchaff. sedge and reed warblers. Cetti's. Also gold and bullfinch reed buntings. This is a very productive area in the morning and is always worth a few minutes on route to Flashes.

Ringed Med

Today's Med and a ring for Phil

PRL5

Attachments

• Med gull 2016 DSCF5191.jpg
    Med gull 2016 DSCF5191.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 47
  • CLOSE UP Med Gull  RINGED flashes 17th Jun 16 DSCF5191.jpg
    CLOSE UP Med Gull RINGED flashes 17th Jun 16 DSCF5191.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 50
Redshanks have hatched. 2 chicks. Very hard to see and the adults very much on edge.

Delighted to hear this. :t: B :) Particularly after the behaviour in the Avocet hide on the last two occasions I've visited this week: All of the requests on the notices being violated. At one time hands pointing and 6 lenses waving around out of the window while people talked loudly between one end of the hide and the other.

After yesterday I was on the point of suggesting that the upper level be locked and only accessed by wardens. Doesn't matter whether people could see the birds or not the notices were clear, numerous and polite. :C:C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back