• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mammal droppings id request (1 Viewer)

RobinD

Hello,

These droppings were on my lawn this morning. Would I be right in thinking that they are Muntjac? This would be a very unexpected addition to the garden list as we are quite urban, although there are allotments nearby.

Attachments

• Droppings.jpg
    Droppings.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 36
Hello,

These droppings were on my lawn this morning. Would I be right in thinking that they are Muntjac? This would be a very unexpected addition to the garden list as we are quite urban, although there are allotments nearby.

No reason why not. I used to visit a cemetery in Reading as the easiest place to year-tick Muntjac. They are garden visitors across Southern Britain (I remember a friend having a photo of one in his garden in Uxbridge, and I've seen plenty more since).

The shape looks fine, hard to deduce scale but I assume the dottles are small.

John

No reason why not. I used to visit a cemetery in Reading as the easiest place to year-tick Muntjac. They are garden visitors across Southern Britain (I remember a friend having a photo of one in his garden in Uxbridge, and I've seen plenty more since).

The shape looks fine, hard to deduce scale but I assume the dottles are small.

John

Hi John,

Yes, I am familiar with the residents of Cemetery Junction. Sad news is that dogs killed some of the residents last year. Not sure how they are doing now.

Sorry, I should have included a coin in the picture. Yes they are small so I am happy with the I'd. I regularly see them on the edge of Caversham and rescued one that had been hit by a car last winter, safely releasing it in Clayfield Copse, after it recovered.

Muntjac come into a friend's garden in another part of Reading regularly but he backs onto woods. I guess this visitor has come down from Caversham Park through the allotments. Just need to see it here now...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back