• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John's Mammals 2024 (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

Happy New Year everybody!

Clare and I started the year with a tour of Norfolk and Cambridgeshire for birds but of course we encountered some mammals in the course of our travels.

In fact I did before that, the New Year was only twenty minutes old and the Somme-like barrage of fireworks was just dying down when Hoppity the senior vixen rocked up for her first chicken drumsticks of the year. Red Fox first on the list.

Then to bed for three hours before leaping up and off (I had pre-loaded a few hours sleep late afternoon and early evening. Safety first.)

Our first stop was at Welney, just North of the WWT, where keen ears found the evocative sounds of Whooper Swans, Wigeon and a few other distinctive birds and a good torch illuminated Rabbits, a Brown Hare and two Chinese Water Deer grazing their way across the massive open flat fields.

On the way from there to Stiffkey we saw several Muntjac feeding on verges.

The next new mammal for the year, after several more Muntjac along the A149 and at Holkham, was a Grey Squirrel attending the feeders at Titchwell RSPB. Star mammal at Titchwell however was yet another Muntjac, browsing on leaves by the main path bank not far from the visitor centre, completely careless of the hordes of humans - many of them grockle families with noisy feral kids and dogs, though at least all the latter were leashed - about ten feet from us! We watched and photographed the little deer (pun intended) for ten minutes or more before it casually turned round and ambled off into the bushes.

Our final mammal list addition of the day was Roe Deer: first of all a couple in a field near King's Lynn then the big herd at March and finally three on a bund out on the Nene Washes at Eldernell. Seven species in a day without making any effort: not bad. Only two of them native to Britain, which says something about the state of our mammal fauna.

John

20240101 (14)_Muntjac.JPG20240101 (16)_Muntjac.JPG20240101 (17)_Muntjac.JPG

Last edited:
Toff has been hanging out with three different vixens lately, a new girl, Midge and Hoppity. Tonight he had a brief attempt at mounting Hops outside the house having spent the evening following her about with her leading him on with soft calls. Looks like Hoppity may be the winner...

John

Toff was following New Girl (I'll give her a proper name soon) last night - so much for Hoppity winning the competition! I'll put the mounting pic up tomorrow, its not very good but how often do you see such things?

John

I still haven't got to that photo but I will.

Meanwhile after my family birthday curry at the highly recommended Gulshan in Fleet, Dave and I were watching for shooting stars outside his house when we heard snuffling and rooting about under the low bushes in the front garden. The sounds made towards the outer boundary so we tiptoed out to the pavement where we were rewarded with a Badger jumping onto the foot high wall, off it onto the pavement and then strolling past us six feet away to cross the road and vanish down someone else's driveway.

Visit to London for a lecture from the RAeS yesterday evening and House Mouse onto the year list at Waterloo Underground: this is a good site for seeing House Mouse but I didn't expect to get it on the Bakerloo Line which has perspex barriers separating passengers from the tracks: sliding doors match those on the trains and open simultaneously with them. I assume it's an anti-suicide measure but I've always thought it was a nuisance for prospective mouse-spotters.

This year's mouse was actually running about on the platform when I saw it, with two young children fascinated by it. When it ducked through under the barrier one of the kids got down on their belly and tried to peer after it. Good to see them so interested.

London Underground is one of the best and most reliable places to see House Mouse in Britain (London Zoo is another, try the bird cages or any empty enclosures of the moonlight world building) but beware of security, they don't like photography and they really don't like loitering on platforms letting trains go through. Miss a couple of trains and you will find yourself being asked what you are about.

John

News today in the Independent that Pine Martens have spread right across the New Forest and are breeding successfully. I've had great views in Scotland but I must admit I'd like to see one of the New Forest ones!

John
The New Forest ones are plastic, it's interesting how much excitement and publicity they've generated, yet no-one has publicly raised the issue of how did they get there (just like the one on cctv during lockdown at Sandbanks, Poole), almost certainly not naturally which suggests to me that someone is not only illegally releasing them( like the roadkill one at Wareham forest), but also probably illegally catching them somewhere and transporting them to the NF. I did hear that DNA from one of the first roadkill NF animals showed it to be Scottish, something that was quickly and conveniently covered up and kept quiet. I'm all for legal and properly thought out reintroductions of lost species but cannot get excited about these. I saw one dash across the Rhinefield road by Puttles Bridge one night a couple of years ago but despite having never seen one couldn't find any excitement in the experience/sighting of what should have counted as a lifer. I guess with them having done so well in the forest we can properly pay our last respects to breeding Wood Warblers in the forest now.

The New Forest ones are plastic, it's interesting how much excitement and publicity they've generated, yet no-one has publicly raised the issue of how did they get there (just like the one on cctv during lockdown at Sandbanks, Poole), almost certainly not naturally which suggests to me that someone is not only illegally releasing them( like the roadkill one at Wareham forest), but also probably illegally catching them somewhere and transporting them to the NF. I did hear that DNA from one of the first roadkill NF animals showed it to be Scottish, something that was quickly and conveniently covered up and kept quiet. I'm all for legal and properly thought out reintroductions of lost species but cannot get excited about these. I saw one dash across the Rhinefield road by Puttles Bridge one night a couple of years ago but despite having never seen one couldn't find any excitement in the experience/sighting of what should have counted as a lifer. I guess with them having done so well in the forest we can properly pay our last respects to breeding Wood Warblers in the forest now.
I doubt that they will tip the balance against Wood Warblers further: indeed if they nest rob corvids in any quantity they may tip it back the other way, as well as having an effect on the Grey Squirrel population, to the benefit of many species.

I agree with you about illegality, but must admit that in the face of ridiculous levels of bureaucracy and concentration by supposed conservationists on vanity projects I understand the motivation of those who translocate native species without waiting for permission. All Britain's populations of Wild Boar derive from illegal/accidental releases and the New Forest should be in receipt of translocated animals from perhaps the Forest of Dean, reducing the need for culling there and periodic release of domestic pigs into the Forest to eat acorns that apparently make the ponies ill (themselves over-stocked and with their removal of the understorey by grazing and browsing at least partly responsible for the decimation of Wood Warblers). But not only is there no project and pressure for one it seems to me that bureaucracy and the new government policy shift away from reintroductions will prevent it.

So if I were you I should enjoy what is happening, regardless of its history. Perhaps we make too much of paperwork and not enough of wildlife.

I envy you your Hampshire Pine Marten sighting and thank you for the revealed location.

John

I was talking to one of the RSPB nags head team last year and she was a little worried about the closeness of the forest of dean releases to their various projects with nesting woodland birds but as John says she seemed to think grey Squirrels would both be the main food species

Toff turned up with New Girl last night, fairly early (about 2000). Hoppity and her daughter Midge came to feed later, about 2200, and both of them again just before we retired at about 2240. The latter two seem to be deliberately aiming for separation in time (this pattern has occurred several times recently) and Midge seemed to be carrying a rear leg limp which may or may not explain that. I haven't seen Rusty or Ben for some days and I wonder if Toff has forced them to disperse.

John

Well, the mating season is now kicking off. Toff has a bad bite right side of his face and his right eye closed, hopefully its all right. Rusty is still around but carrying a rear leg limp, didn't see which leg. Hoppity scuttled off at the advent of New Girl last night but had already had a drumstick and later got a couple more. Midge also grabbed a drumstick early and took it away off to eat. I got a few pix including Toff's face (not too grim to look at) which I'll put up in due course.

Today I nipped down to the New Forest and had an Eyeworth Pond small bird photography session before heading over to Bolderwood to look for Fallow Deer. Eventually I found a couple of does that let me up to about 40 yards for photos. Walking back to the car I had a Stoat run across the track in front of me to top off a decent day.

John

Last edited:
Did you get any use out of the thermal scope John, the one you got seems like a price point I can at least contemplate
No, it was in the original plan that involved coming home much later but when I saw the Stoat (after a brief brain freeze I did look for it under the bracken but no joy, it probably kept running) I decided that topped the day off very nicely and legged it home ahead of the rush hour.

John

Sorted out some fox photos. I've concluded that Toff wasn't in a fight but got his head stuck in a tin can or similar, resulting in a semi-circular shave and a cut by his eye. I think the eye itself is OK. Hopefully he'll learn from his mistake. I haven't fed him since but did see him distantly last night still following New Girl about (that's going to end up as her name if I don't apply myself soon).

Rusty and Ben have reappeared after a week or more's complete hiatus. I did wonder if Toff's obsession and/or injury had given them more confidence, but perhaps they were just busy elsewhere.

John

Toff with cut
Hoppity
New Girl
Rusty

20240117 (1b)_Red_Fox_Toff.JPG20240117 (2)_Red_Fox_Hoppity.JPG20240117 (4)_Red_Fox_New_Girl.JPG20240117 (5)_Red_Fox_Rusty.JPG

Despite the wind (which the foxes don't like because it reduces the effectiveness of their hearing, an important warning system) and the rain (which the foxes don't like for the same reasons we don't plus it also reduces the effectiveness of their hearing, vision and scent, all important sensors for predation) Hoppity turned up to be fed last night. I had a feeling if we saw anybody it would be our Hops. She's four, which is getting on, she has no partner since losing Patch and her last family is now basically independent though she still takes each of them food and even stands over morsels rather than eat them immediately, in case a "cub" wants it.

Last night nobody else was interested and she visited twice during the intense part of the storm, eating three drumsticks split 1/2 between the two visits before on each occasion trotting away presumably to look for a safe dry roost. She chooses the duration of the interaction so I assume she was content with what she got.

John

Predictably the foxes were back in force last night: calm, warm and dry - plus they may have been hungry from a couple of difficult nights for hunting. I took the opportunity to photograph Toff's face as a check on his healing. His right eye is only half open and may stay that way for a while given the damage to the surrounding flesh, but it looks bright and undamaged. He's limping slightly on a hind leg but I couldn't see any injury so it may just be a slight strain of the bad RTA injury he carried in his first winter.

Yesterday I also had a wander round part of Fleet Pond LNR mainly trying to photograph the wintering Firecrest - which I saw but which evaded my camera effortlessly - but also encountering one of those double-damned cute invasive aliens.

John

20240124 (8)_Grey_Squirrel.JPG20240124 (27)_Red_Fox_Toff.JPG

Thought I'd spice things up with a couple of fox shots (Paramo and Sechuan) from a recent holiday in Ecuador (oh and some really rubbish Spectacled Bear shots!)

Attachments

• DSCN6869.JPG
    DSCN6869.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6623v2.JPG
    DSCN6623v2.JPG
    946.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN6609 - frame at 0m8sv2.jpg
    DSCN6609 - frame at 0m8sv2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN5154.JPG
    DSCN5154.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 12
Thought I'd spice things up with a couple of fox shots (Paramo and Sechuan) from a recent holiday in Ecuador (oh and some really rubbish Spectacled Bear shots!)
Excellent grip shots, Spectacled Bear particularly regardless of shot quality (and I'd be happy with them!) but Sechuan Fox - should that be Sechuran? Limited distribution so a good tick I suspect. Bravo!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back