• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nova Scotia in September (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I'm off to a conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia in late September and I'll be heading over about a week early to make the most of the trip. I'm keen to connect with some migrating passerines, seabirds and waders while I'm there. At present my loose plan is to spend most of my time on Brier Island as that certainly seems a good choice for passerines & seabirds at least, but I'd welcome any suggestions for other 'must-see' sites at that time of year.

Stuart

Hi,

There are lots of good spots in NS in Sept. On Brier Island, passerine migration is probably better earlier in the month, and Hawks later, Shorebirds all month. Brier can be very good, and it's well worth going on one of the 1/2 day whale-watching trips for seabirds (and whales). In late Sept. it's a great Hawk watching spot. Brier is not as good as it used to be for shorebirds, but can still be OK (Pond Cove, Westport Harbor). Cape Sable Island is probably the best spot for shorebirds, and can be very good for other migrants too. Depending on the length of your visit, you might want to get Blake Maybank's book, Birding Sites in NS, for advice on other areas. Also check the NS Bird Soc's web site for field trips etc. I think there will be one on Brier. Early in the month I'll probably be there myself, and I can show you around if I am.

Around Halifax, look at Hartlen Point and Duncan's Cove for passerines, and Three-Fathom Harbor, Lawrencetown, Conrad's Beach and Hartlen Point for shorebirds - on a good day, all these spots can be excellent. The NSBS web site has a list of people you can contact. Also, keep an eye on NS-RBA and Nature NS, on Birding on the Web, for the latest news, views and sightings.

Hope this helps, and contact me again if you need further info.

Richard

Many thanks Richard. I do have a copy of Blake Maybank's site guide, but it covers so many sites that it is difficult to determine which would be the best ones to try during a short visit. Cape Sable Island certainly sounds like it will be worth a look.

Cheers,

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back