• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographing birds - where do I start? (1 Viewer)

Can you seawatch with a bridge camera?

I'd say this depends on how good your seawatch viewpoint is. The locations where I seawatch are at least 100 meters from the shore, so it's very very hard for any camera to capture anything at all when seawatching conditions are best (North-western wind, high waves). I can barely take an ID picture of most shearwaters that are way too often further out at sea. You can be lucky with the occasional skua closeby though.

Seawatching itself is hard enough through telescopes (to find a bird or pick up a bird someone calls out), so I would think that trying to seawatch with a camera is a disaster.

It could be very good though if you are on a high rock with seabirds passing beneath you.

Are you talking about a 'proper' camera with expensive lenses, or a superzoom digital camera.

Is it for birdwatching too? (you talk of getting rid of your scope).

What is your budget?

Dan has asked the pertinent question. What is your budget?

Heres a few of mine currently with a Nikon Z6/Z7 and a variety of lenses. Some are from as early as 2006 starting with a Nikon D70. For birding don't underestimate the importance of good weather sealing.

You can buy excellent camera's and lenses 2nd hand which will take superb images, longer focal lengths are usually better for birding.

http://mikes-photographs.blogspot.com

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back