• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why is this kestrel so fluffy? (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Seen at Brandon Marsh, Midlands, UK. Not raining. So why is it so fluffy?

Attachments

• 957ADC63-9895-41D4-B2C2-BF3BC4B57F6F.jpeg
    957ADC63-9895-41D4-B2C2-BF3BC4B57F6F.jpeg
    413.3 KB · Views: 42
  • A5D2F855-0426-494F-BBD0-6C3870A9E6FC.jpeg
    A5D2F855-0426-494F-BBD0-6C3870A9E6FC.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 44
Nice shots Julie - birds fluff up their feathers to keep warm (trapping air which acts as insulation) so perhaps there was a chill in the air. Fluffing up feathers (piloerection) is thought to have social functions too such as response to predator (you?!), mating ritual etc both of which make the bird look larger.

I was wondering if it was a juvenile. It was in the car park so perhaps we were all a predator?

I was wondering if it was a juvenile. It was in the car park so perhaps we were all a predator?

Juvenile birds do indeed have looser feather structure (poorer quality of feathers) and โ€˜fluffyโ€™ (to make them look bigger?) but in this case your Kestrel is an adult male - juveniles/1w look similar to females and are heavily streaked on the breast (not spotted).

Nice shots Julie - birds fluff up their feathers to keep warm (trapping air which acts as insulation) so perhaps there was a chill in the air. Fluffing up feathers (piloerection) is thought to have social functions too such as response to predator (you?!), mating ritual etc both of which make the bird look larger.

Extensively explained in this old paper below by Desmond Morris (the same guy who wrote "The Naked Ape"):
The Feather Postures of Birds and the Problem of the Origin of Social Signals

Thanks for posting the link to the paper - itโ€™s quite dense reading in places but very interesting (and comprehensive!). I am surprised there is no mention however of feather shedding due to sudden stress or shock - eg sometimes birds shed feathers during ringing and pigeons eg will shed (lots!) of feathers when grabbed by a cat as a defensive mechanism. I'm also surprised, given the very full treatment here of primary and secondary feather posture functions, no mention was made on the role of feather posture for buoyancy in aquatic birds - but the paper was already long enough without that ;)

Btw - I remember seminal books from my childhood on the shelves in my Dadโ€™s study at home - books I was told to read, Silent Spring , (Rachel Carson) was one, The Naked Ape was another.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back