• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with budget ED spotting scope choice (1 Viewer)

michaelmorris

My wife and I are getting in to bird watching more and more. We currently use a Hawke Endurance 70mm spotting scope which has served us well for the past 3 years. We're looking to add a second scope so that we can use one each. We're thinking of going for a 70mm to 80mm scope, with a maximum budget of £500 (not a lot I know). Being relatively new to spotting scopes I don't know which are the 'hot products' at this specification/price point. We don't want something very heavy.

I've had a brief look around and the Celestron Ulima 80ED or Regal 80 F-ED seems to have a few good reviews. Are these the 'best buys' at the moment?

Last edited:
I have a suggestion. But I don't know whether it is OK for you.
For the 70mm, you can search it on ebay.com by 20-60x70. I find that some items are not bad and free shipping. The price is $140-$540. The sellers are form USA or other countries.
Now I copy one of their features as followed:
Power: 20-60
Objective lens: 70
Field of View Angle: 2.1-1
Field of View: 36-17
Exit puple: 3.6-1.2mm
Near focus: 5m
Eye-relief: 18-17mm
Weight: 1370g
Hope this will give you some help.
Merry Christmas!

My wife and I are getting in to bird watching more and more. We currently use a Hawke Endurance 70mm spotting scope which has served us well for the past 3 years. We're looking to add a second scope so that we can use one each. We're thinking of going for a 70mm to 80mm scope, with a maximum budget of £500 (not a lot I know). Being relatively new to spotting scopes I don't know which are the 'hot products' at this specification/price point. We don't want something very heavy.

I've had a brief look around and the Celestron Ulima 80ED or Regal 80 F-ED seems to have a few good reviews. Are these the 'best buys' at the moment?

I have no experience of the scopes you refer to. Options at the budget end of ED scopes will be more limited! I would advise that you try out all the models in your price range - ideally in field conditions if possible.

Also consider second hand. Scopes are normally well looked after and bargains can be had. Models to at least look at are the Nixon ED 65 and 78, Kowa TSN3/4's and TS613/4 also Opticron HR 66 and 80.

Good luck.:cat:

The Celestron Regal almost replaced my New Pentax PF EDII right after I got it because of the awesome reviews, as far as bang for the buck, and downright clarity. Eventually I decided to stick w/ the Pentax for it's size/packability but I was this close (put thumb and forefinger close together) to pulling the trigger on that one.

The Celestron scopes if it was me I would pick the Regal hands down from an authorized Celestron dealer and make sure you keep the receipt for the lifetime warranty. These Regal scopes are kind of heavy but seem decent from what other people have said on here.
Regards,Steve

The Celestron scopes if it was me I would pick the Regal hands down from an authorized Celestron dealer and make sure you keep the receipt for the lifetime warranty. These Regal scopes are kind of heavy but seem decent from what other people have said on here.
Regards,Steve

I just ordered the Regal 100mm, figuring it would give a little better performance over the 80mm version. Weight and size were not that big of a factor for us, seeing it will be used primarily as a house scope. Still, I wish I had heard from someone who actually used the 100mm model before ordering. My best opinions came from people who had actually used or tested the 80mm or 65mm version.

The scope is supposed to arrive on or before Jan. 15, and if anyone is intrested, I would be happy to share my opinion on this one when I get it.

I also have been thinking about purchasing the Regal 100.... I would be interested in reading your opinion on this scope after it arrives ......... Gwen

The Regal has got plenty of good reviews, aslong as you can manage the weight it is a good buy. I have owned the PF65ED scope and can indeed recommend it, very good optical performance for a low price.

Just consider before you order the Celestron Regal what the total weight will be. If you can´t afford a good carbon tripod like the CF-635, and instead goes for a aluminium tripod the total weight can be a real killer. I would not recommend that combination if you need to walk around at times.

I would definitely recommend Opticron. I bought an opticron ES80 with a tripod, zoom eyepiece and case for £600. That was from Black and Lizars.

Opticron's after service is absolutley second to none, too. I lost a screw on my tripod which they sent me for free. I also recently had a leg snapped off my tripod by BMI, I got £50 compensation, the new leg cost £8.

1729 gram for the 65mm, 2041 gram for the 80mm, 2523 gram for the 100mm. It´s made from aluminium, saves money I guess.

Not sure why some manufacturers use aluminum and some magnesium, but I doubt it would be a cost consideration.

With aluminum at about $1.00 per pound and magnesium at about $1.25 per pound, the cost difference would be negligable when considering the overall cost of a scope.

I have no idea. But the scopes are very heavy. And cheap considering the nice performance of them.

Not sure why some manufacturers use aluminum and some magnesium, but I doubt it would be a cost consideration.

With aluminum at about $1.00 per pound and magnesium at about $1.25 per pound, the cost difference would be negligable when considering the overall cost of a scope.

I just ordered the Regal 100mm, figuring it would give a little better performance over the 80mm version. Weight and size were not that big of a factor for us, seeing it will be used primarily as a house scope. Still, I wish I had heard from someone who actually used the 100mm model before ordering. My best opinions came from people who had actually used or tested the 80mm or 65mm version.

The scope is supposed to arrive on or before Jan. 15, and if anyone is intrested, I would be happy to share my opinion on this one when I get it.

I saw the thread so thought I'd chime in. I used the 100mm version. My results are very much the same as others who have used the other sizes of the Regal.

1. Optically, very enjoyable. Not exquisite like an Alpha, soft at full zoom but still appropriate levels of performance at typical scope magnifications.
2. Very stiff "coarse" focus knob / very nice "fine" focus.
3. The coarse focus is positioned such that you basically have to forcefully use your thumb. The fine focus is really perfect but it's hard to know which direction to focus due to the slow response, so coarse focus is required and does take some getting used to.
4. Heavy but not an issue if in a fixed location.
5. Very front heavy - it comes with a balancing bar, which is ok, but if you have a quick release type tripod connection, it may not have enough room to perfectly balance. It's easy to tweak "close enough".
6. It's built like a tank. Nothing seems flimsy other than the somewhat garbage soft case it comes with.

On the weight, one must wonder why a scope like the Pentax 65ED can be so light and then a very similar model like the Regal 65mm can be so heavy. It's not just the material, as other similar models aren't as heavy. I really question whether the designers considered the intended usage. In any event, I think you'll enjoy it, especially for the prices they are out there for.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Matt

I have no idea. But the scopes are very heavy. And cheap considering the nice performance of them.

If I were trying to get a "one size fits all" scope I would probably go with a light to moderate weight 80mm scope. I already have a lightweight 60mm scope, so I didn't mind the idea of jumping to a larger more stationary scope. Just my preference though.

I saw the thread so thought I'd chime in. I used the 100mm version. My results are very much the same as others who have used the other sizes of the Regal.

1. Optically, very enjoyable. Not exquisite like an Alpha, soft at full zoom but still appropriate levels of performance at typical scope magnifications.
2. Very stiff "coarse" focus knob / very nice "fine" focus.
3. The coarse focus is positioned such that you basically have to forcefully use your thumb. The fine focus is really perfect but it's hard to know which direction to focus due to the slow response, so coarse focus is required and does take some getting used to.
4. Heavy but not an issue if in a fixed location.
5. Very front heavy - it comes with a balancing bar, which is ok, but if you have a quick release type tripod connection, it may not have enough room to perfectly balance. It's easy to tweak "close enough".
6. It's built like a tank. Nothing seems flimsy other than the somewhat garbage soft case it comes with.

On the weight, one must wonder why a scope like the Pentax 65ED can be so light and then a very similar model like the Regal 65mm can be so heavy. It's not just the material, as other similar models aren't as heavy. I really question whether the designers considered the intended usage. In any event, I think you'll enjoy it, especially for the prices they are out there for.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Matt

Matt, Sent you a PM. Thanks, Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back