• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small straight through spotting scope for monopod. (1 Viewer)

John goshawk

Scotland
Hi All,

I very much enjoy using my opticron IS60, straight through scope on a monopod. Very lightweight and portable.
However after purchasing a 80mm ED spotting scope I'm looking for a similarly lightweight upgrade.
is this possible, or will Ed glass always be heavier?
thanks in advance
John

John,

I suggest that the improvement of your ED 80mm scope over your non ED 60mm scope might be largely due to the larger diameter objective lens. IMO a larger non ED objective lens will almost certainly trump a smaller objective lens with ED glass - but you must check this out for yourself. You need to set your IS60 up side-by-side with prospective replacements. In normal viewing conditions it may be difficult to tell the difference between ED and non ED versions of the same scope unless you know what to look for.

The MM4 ED60 has a good reputation on this forum so it's worth setting it up side-by-side with your IS60 to see how much better the view is. However, IIRC the IS 60 is plastic whereas the MM4 is metal, and will therefore be significantly heavier. So it's your personal choice whether the better view is worth the extra weight. You also need to bear in mind that I had two examples of the MM4 ED60 in the last 12 months and I had to return both of them because of chromatic aberration in what I would consider normal use, which is something I have never seen in any conditions with my ED50, so be careful. I didn't find the improvement in the view was worth the larger size and noticeably heavier weight and reduced portability over my ED50, but this is a very personal view. Everyone has a different acceptable weight and size, and it's a lot to do with the type of birding they do and whether they are a one scope fits all person willing to put up with the compromises or if they like a different scope for every occasion.

So if you are looking for a really lightweight upgrade a 50mm scope could be the way to go, and IMO you wont't get lighter and more portable than an ED50 on a monopod which I have been using for over 10 years and I haven't found anything to beat it for lightweight and portability. However, finding a new one may be a problem. I believe the ED50 bodies are still available but the eyepieces are hard to come by - IIRC some have bought them successfully from Japan. It may therefore be worth a look at the Opticron 50mm scopes. Depending on your budget there's also a new Vortex 56mm scope at c. £1000, the Kowa 502 maybe worth a look at c. £1500. You might even want to have a look through the Swarovski ATC at c. £2000 !

Great advice, thanks.
John I will have to try out a MM4 50 ED.
The purpose of the smaller scope is mainly for hillwalking with a monopod. After climbing I enjoy spying downhill, over valleys etc!
Will get the scales out tomorrow and weigh my IS60.
regarding eyepieces are we talking kit zooms? I thought the HDF eyepieces I have would be interchangeable.
thanks for your help.
John

Weighing your IS60 is the way to go - set a benchmark. You should also measure the length. Longer scopes are harder to use on a monopod than shorter scopes - because they have longer "lever arm" which means they tend to rotate more easily and rotation is the hardest motion to control with a monopod, unless you have a fold-down foot or some other means of controlling it.

IIRC Opticron is pretty good with interchangeability of eyepieces across its range but you need to check.
It's worth taking your scope and eyepiece and monopod to a field day or a dealer with viewing facilities to compare with your short-listed alternatives.
Compare the HDF zoom with the newer, bigger, heavier and much more expensive SDL v 3 and see what you think.

Very helpful indeed.
Thanks Pete, you have saved me taking the very tight case off my scope to measure/weigh it.
Very interesting John your comment about rotation on the monopod. A good idea to take my own monopod into the store when trying out different scopes.
If possible I use a spike for stability and a small fluid head.
I tend to kneel/or crouch a la Sherlock Holmes for stability and stealth.
After trying a pair of 15x70 porro binos I was also considering this as an option. Much heavier, but also so much more relaxing using two eyes, and bigger FOV. This is another down hill straight through option. It suits my preference for scanning large areas.
I never seem to use zooms, instead I'm usually using 18-30 fixed eyepieces.
Any thoughts?

The Skywatcher 15x70 and clones will be out of collimation very fast.
They are also actually about 15x63.

The Quantam 15x70 and others are sturdier but heavier and more expensive ones than those may be very reliable.

Regards,
B.

Very helpful indeed.
Thanks Pete, you have saved me taking the very tight case off my scope to measure/weigh it.
Very interesting John your comment about rotation on the monopod. A good idea to take my own monopod into the store when trying out different scopes.
If possible I use a spike for stability and a small fluid head.
I tend to kneel/or crouch a la Sherlock Holmes for stability and stealth.
After trying a pair of 15x70 porro binos I was also considering this as an option. Much heavier, but also so much more relaxing using two eyes, and bigger FOV. This is another down hill straight through option. It suits my preference for scanning large areas.
I never seem to use zooms, instead I'm usually using 18-30 fixed eyepieces.
Any thoughts?
The data from Pete shows the MM4 body is a little lighter than the IS 60, but you may not notice it, and the 5mm difference in length is nothing. I thought the IS 60 was all plastic and the MM4 was alloy. I hadn't realised both were plastic and alloy - hence the weights of the 60mm scopes are similar. So it's really down to the view - is the ED view from the MM4 a big enough improvement over the IS 60 for you to part with your money ? Try to choose a dull day, or the end of the day when the light is going. And you need to see if your IS 60 eyepiece(s) can be used on the MM4.

The MM4 50 is lighter, but not by enough for me to want to sacrifice the extra light gathering power of a 60mm lens if I was used to carrying it round, but its what you think that matters, so try it.

If you really want to save weight then IMO the only way to go is an ED50, but I thought they were now only available direct from Japan. I therefore was surprised to see Bristol Cameras has them available ("available to order") for £409 for the body and a high £325 for the MCII zoom.

The new Vortex Razor 56mm scope might also be of interest but it doesn't seem to have fixed mag lenses available and you couldn't use your IS 60 eyepieces.

I hadn't thought of a spike and small fluid head to stop monopod rotation. I guess you have to make sure you are always walking on soft ground !

I mostly use my ED50 on a monopod standing up. I get the scope on the bird by leaning and twisting the monopod then fixing the rotation by holding the foot down with my foot. Kneeling or crouching sounds painful. I carry a sit mat in my rucsac. If I am going to be in one place for a time I sit on the mat on the ground and put the monopod between my knees.

I personally wouldn't want to be hanging 15x70 binoculars from my neck for a few hours on a walk. I am also not sure I could hold them still enough! You can get binocular straps/harnesses that spread the weight better than ordinary straps.

Fixed mag and zooms divide birders on this forum. I prefer a zoom because I mostly only need about 20X magnification but I want higher magnification available if and when required and I hate changing lenses in the field. Lower magnfications are also useful for extending the time the scope is usable in the evening. I can get 30 minutes to an hour's extra time with my ED50 at 13-20X magnfication when the (very good) 27X fixed eyepiece has long since become unusable. I also hate carrying around extra kit. Each to their own.

Yes, the lighter weight cheap 15x70 binoculars like the Revelation would work on a monopod, but in field use they are likely to go out of collimation if not so when bought.

You would be better off with a Canon 10x30 IS binocular during the daytime.

I have little problem hand holding the Revelation 15x70 for astro use.

A scope though is I think the better option.

Regards,
B.

Brilliant answers and info.

4John, in Scotland the ground seems always to be wet and soft! :)
Interestingly sometimes I find a fluid head can get in the way and I also use your technique. I also carry a mat or fold up stool.
However most of my birdwatching is panning from elevation. Whenever I go walking in Scotland I like to climb to warm up! A small fluid head is useful then when panning, but finding a good compact one is difficult. I have actually ended up using a small velbon one, as the many Manfrottos were too bulky (and the befree had no friction adjustment). Not sure if it could cope with the weight of 15x70 binos though. I agree wouldn't have binos round neck, would keep them in rucksack until needing used. Was thinking skywatcher 15x70 pro?
That's the theory!

Interesting comments about zoom lens at dusk. Perhaps I should invest in a good quality zoom.

PS
Does anyone know the apparent fov of opticron hdf eyepieces? I was thinking 58degrees? The reason is I was wondering what the maximum fov is with an ED50/60 with a low power fixed eyepiece.

Thanks again John

Also could someone advise what a used IS60 with zoom, and stay on case is worth. If I can find my way to classified ads I could try selling it here
Thanks John

The data from Pete shows the MM4 body is a little lighter than the IS 60, but you may not notice it, and the 5mm difference in length is nothing. I thought the IS 60 was all plastic and the MM4 was alloy. I hadn't realised both were plastic and alloy - hence the weights of the 60mm scopes are similar. So it's really down to the view - is the ED view from the MM4 a big enough improvement over the IS 60 for you to part with your money ? Try to choose a dull day, or the end of the day when the light is going. And you need to see if your IS 60 eyepiece(s) can be used on the MM4.

The MM4 50 is lighter, but not by enough for me to want to sacrifice the extra light gathering power of a 60mm lens if I was used to carrying it round, but its what you think that matters, so try it.

If you really want to save weight then IMO the only way to go is an ED50, but I thought they were now only available direct from Japan. I therefore was surprised to see Bristol Cameras has them available ("available to order") for £409 for the body and a high £325 for the MCII zoom.

The new Vortex Razor 56mm scope might also be of interest but it doesn't seem to have fixed mag lenses available and you couldn't use your IS 60 eyepieces.

I hadn't thought of a spike and small fluid head to stop monopod rotation. I guess you have to make sure you are always walking on soft ground !

I mostly use my ED50 on a monopod standing up. I get the scope on the bird by leaning and twisting the monopod then fixing the rotation by holding the foot down with my foot. Kneeling or crouching sounds painful. I carry a sit mat in my rucsac. If I am going to be in one place for a time I sit on the mat on the ground and put the monopod between my knees.

I personally wouldn't want to be hanging 15x70 binoculars from my neck for a few hours on a walk. I am also not sure I could hold them still enough! You can get binocular straps/harnesses that spread the weight better than ordinary straps.

Fixed mag and zooms divide birders on this forum. I prefer a zoom because I mostly only need about 20X magnification but I want higher magnification available if and when required and I hate changing lenses in the field. Lower magnfications are also useful for extending the time the scope is usable in the evening. I can get 30 minutes to an hour's extra time with my ED50 at 13-20X magnfication when the (very good) 27X fixed eyepiece has long since become unusable. I also hate carrying around extra kit. Each to their own.
I was wondering how much of a concern is a lack of waterproofing on eyepieces. I was very surprised to discover HDF eyepieces aren't waterproof.
Thanks John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back