• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodcreeper Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

m.skalla

March, Arenal Lodge Costa Rica

Attachments

• Arenal Lodge 3-19 (1).jpg
    Arenal Lodge 3-19 (1).jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Arenal Lodge 3-19 (3).jpg
    Arenal Lodge 3-19 (3).jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Arenal Lodge 3-19 (4).jpg
    Arenal Lodge 3-19 (4).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 20
Best guess, without total confidence, is long-tailed woodcreeper, based on bill (what we can see rules out wedge - billed, I think), apparently long tail with long tail spines, plain back /crown

Long-tailed WC is very, very uncommon in that area. I’m traveling and not looking at books but I would suggest probability points highly at something like Streak-crowned or Spotted. I would even think hard about N Barred or Cocoa before calling it Lomg-tailed, especially without voice information.

Wouldn't it also be too high for LtWC, habitat is given as 'humid' forest and that's certainly where I saw mine in CR (Carera).

Agree with pbj

Best guess, without total confidence, is long-tailed woodcreeper, based on bill (what we can see rules out wedge - billed, I think), apparently long tail with long tail spines, plain back /crown

The apparent rarity of this at the site was why I was tentative. I'm hoping someone else can explain which commoner species it is and why as I wasn't able to find a convincing match.

Attached is what others have reported from the lodge itself. I am aware the pattern is a little different from the PN.

Niels

Attachments

• Arenal lodge.JPG
    Arenal lodge.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 16
It's a Wedge-billed Woodcreeper, one of the commonest species in most of Costa Rica: the bill is shorter than the head, the back and crown are almost plain olive-brown and the sides of head are mottled buffish.
I've seen tens of them in Costa Rica and Panama!

Ciao, Igor

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back