• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Garten Osprey 2010 (1 Viewer)

Good news that all three have fledged now:)) Chick 3 has looked so lonely all by himself on the nest the past few days. It took him a while to pluck up the courage!!

Daisy, do post your clips too - we can never have too many and they are all slightly different!

Alison

Hi Everybody,

Although it appeared the chicks were home alone, dad Odin was nearby watching over them on one occasion he was sat eating a fish nearby despite all the calling from the chicks and they still did not get the message "go fishing".

EJ delivered one fish each last Saturday before she departed, one was so big the chick took 10 hours to eat it having many dozes whilst holding it in its talons. The other chick tried once to see if it could have some but got told no. Two and three were always good pals and stayed together until the end. I know they won't travel together but it would be nice to think they did.

As you know because of the weather the chicks were not ringed or tagged but as they were the noisiest chicks I can remember I am sure we will know them if they come back to the LG area when it is their time. In the meantime hope they don't have neighbours nearby complaining at the racket, I love it and have saved all the clips Alison, Gary, Alan and others have put on UTube, thanks to them my winter will not be Ospreyless entirely.

Debbie Aspinall at RSPB wrote a blog last night and I have copied it below.

debbie aspinall Posted on Thursday, 26 August 2010 at 21:15

No sign of anyone today, but that must be a good thing for our osprey family. It's the beginning of a whole new adventure for the juveniles and we can only wish them all safe travel and happy fishing! There wasn't much time difference between them going yesterday, but I don't think they will travel together. Look at the journeys for Nethy, Deshar, Rothes and Malachie, they were totally different. We think Odin may have checked that they'd left yesterday! Apologies, there should have been a new blog tonight. It was almost ready to post, but I left the stick behind.

Stay safe EJ, Odin and family, many people will be waiting to see our wonderful Ospreys back next year and thank you for again sharing your lives with us.

Ann
The Osprey Godmother
:flyaway::flyaway::egghead:

Hi Everybody,

Here is the latest blog from Debbie Aspinall at RSPB Loch Garten

Friday, 27 August 2010
Africa Beckons and Odin gets tough!

We saw amazing sights of a buzzard and a sparrowhawk yesterday, but not a single osprey!
EJ did indeed start her migration on Saturday, 21st August, having first brought each of her two remaining juveniles a very large rainbow trout. This kept them happy all day, but on Sunday they were both hungry again! There was no breakfast! There was no sign of Odin! Had he seen EJ go and decided to follow her, as Orange VS did in 2008? Surely not! We had last seen Odin on Friday evening. Earlier in the day, he had sat in view of the juveniles, eating a fish, trying to tempt them to have a go at fishing themselves.
On Sunday morning, the juveniles sat mantling and screaming at a male intruder osprey, which landed on the nest. The juvenile on the nest lunged at him and forced him off the nest, but he went and sat on the camera tree. Then, we heard a shrill alarm call and Odin came into view! He lunged at the intruder, forcing him off the tree and gave chase! We were so happy to see him! Our juveniles begged for food, but Odin’s job was to try to get them to have a go at fishing themselves. Perhaps he succeeded, for on Wednesday at 07.46, one of the juveniles was seen looking very wet, even for the soggy weather. At 09.07, one of the juveniles brought in a large stick to the nest. just as Odin would have. At 10.00, one juvenile sat on the nest, the other in the camera tree. Both were calling for food. We weren’t able to see Odin, but they obviously could. At 10.20, the middle juvenile left the nest and started to soar, circling ever higher, until it was a tiny dot. Surely it must be on it’s way! The youngest juvenile sat in the camera tree, quietly for a while, before flying away at 11.00. Later in the day, at 15.34, an osprey appeared from behind the nest and flew around, before heading away again. Was it Odin checking that the juveniles had gone, before stating his own migration?
There has been no sign of the family since, although today an osprey was spotted flying above the nest. Last year we saw the indruder, White TF, take up residence for the last week. The nest is very popular with spotted flycatchers!
We wish all ospreys a safe journey and an abundance of tasty fish!

Posted by debbie aspinall at 12:54 on 27 August 2010

They are on their way. God speed and hope they have lots of sun, warmth and more fish than they can eat.

Ann
Osprey Godmother
:flyaway::flyaway::flyaway::egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back