• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I bought a Chinese Scope from alibaba (1 Viewer)

bbirrddy

Hello to all of you.

I have been thinking long and hard about this scope market. The more I look into it, the more I understand that there are no middle range in these type of scopes.

It's either chinese, rebranded chinese, or high grade japanese or german opticals.

So I went and bought directly from china. 25-75x100 with some sort of multi coated HD glass. The scope, tripod, mount, smartphone adapter and bag for 150 euros.

It looks exactly the same as those other brands that put their names on the chinese product.

If this doesn't meet my needs, as in moon and bird watching, i'll buy the harpia or the swarovski or the other high quality brands.

I'll let you know how I feel about the chinese brand one.

Hello to all of you.

I have been thinking long and hard about this scope market. The more I look into it, the more I understand that there are no middle range in these type of scopes.

It's either chinese, rebranded chinese, or high grade japanese or german opticals.

So I went and bought directly from china. 25-75x100 with some sort of multi coated HD glass. The scope, tripod, mount, smartphone adapter and bag for 150 euros.

It looks exactly the same as those other brands that put their names on the chinese product.

If this doesn't meet my needs, as in moon and bird watching, i'll buy the harpia or the swarovski or the other high quality brands.

I'll let you know how I feel about the chinese brand one.

Hi ... Just curious, what was your process in buying directly ?

Hi ... Just curious, what was your process in buying directly ?

I went to alibaba.com and searched until i found the scope i wanted. I know everything in there is fake but i wanted to see what 150 could get me.

you would be amazed by the amount of stuff sold in europe that is rebranded from this site.

I would say go cheap or go swaro or zeiss.

Hi,

I'm quite astonished that you could directly buy on alibaba.com - that page is for b2b and most sellers there won't even sell to private parties. The consumer page is aliexpress.

As for fake, I don't think so - it's chinese optics manufacturers or resellers...

Please let us know how it worked out.

Joachim

1. How are you defining middle range? By performance, or price?

2. Does this include both spotting and astronomy versions?

You're seriously stating there is nothing worth considering around the €1500 - €2000! ( Based on your other posts mentioning €150 or €4000 ). For example ..... Nikon Monarch ED 82 with zoom.

Last edited:
I went to alibaba.com and searched until i found the scope i wanted. I know everything in there is fake but i wanted to see what 150 could get me.

you would be amazed by the amount of stuff sold in europe that is rebranded from this site.

I would say go cheap or go swaro or zeiss.

I would hesitate from this type of buying, just because of the problems one would have in returning or repairing anything purchased. The one time I purchased direct from a retailer in the UK, a Pentax PR ED Scope it’s zoom eyepiece was defective and because I thought the scope body was a very good specimen I kept the scope body but declined to go thru the steps to return the zoom eyepiece because of what was involved including the cost. I never questioned the UK dealers honesty/integrity but dealing directly in China with a business entity as a individual consumer I would never do.

The overseas rebranders do double the prices, sometimes even more.
There supposed to be a quality recheck before selling, I'm not sure nowadays how this procedure is carried out, or even exists or not.
But IMO I don't think the recheck worths that much.
However after sale services is another question.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back