• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2004 year list going? (1 Viewer)

Up to 91 species now , there is Bittern and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at my local patch , went today but there was no sign . Still , I'm quite chuffed with 91 as I have only been out birding 4 times this month . Remarkably , I've had 2 Little Egret's so far this year , one on the Severn and one at Porthmadog !!

Stop showing off the lot of you, i'm still on 60 and have been since the 3rd. Mind you I do now have an 8.9lb bundle of nappy to keep me at home :eek:)

Ashley beolens said:
Stop showing off the lot of you, i'm still on 60 and have been since the 3rd. Mind you I do now have an 8.9lb bundle of nappy to keep me at home :eek:)

Don't want to worry you Ashley, but the year my youngest was born (Jan 23rd), was my lowest ever year-list :(
Not that it'll happen to you necessarily ;)

One more..

Jane, that an impressive garden tick.

Had a 'spare' hour today, so Tried for Iceland Gulls (supposedly 3 at Sunderland) 1st & 2nd winters & an Adult.....Result.....None seen by Me!

But added one tick with Shelduck :- 116.

Stevie

Hey Ashley , my daughter was born in November last year so I fully understand how you feel ... still , they're worth it , aint they ? .... ;)

one only....

Woodcock (117) but missed Yaffle, Dipper & Jack Snipe (have tried 6places for the Snipe!)
Day off work on Thursday, hope to get the Moorland stuff like Black & Red Grouse, Raven, Stonechat, Dipper & hopefully a raptor or two....
S.

Another eight today on a trip up to Holy Island . . .

121 Lesser Black-backed Gull
122 Peregrine Falcon
123 Black-tailed Godwit
124 Merlin
125 Gannet
126 Razorbill
127 Great Northern Diver (Common Loon)
128 Guillemot (Common Murre)

Michael

I added three today. (Brings my total to 76 for 2004)

American Robin (they had been evading me until today, I saw three)
Northern Shrike (Great Grey Shrike)
Hairy Woodpecker

I'm up to 86 as of Sunday (11th) with Canada Goose (bit of a cheat!)
Still missing some really obvious ones like: Coal tit, Bullfinch, Willow tit (getting scarce round here) & Marsh tit (even scarcer!) and surprisingly, Sparrowhawk.
Hoping to go out during my lunch break today to try and get a couple more (if the rain stops :C )

Hi All,

My year total thus far is fairly modest compared with a lot of you on this thread - mid 70s - but it has been a good year for quality in these first two weeks, with Bittern [wonderful views], Great Northern Diver, Smew, Waxwing, Tawny Owl, Water Rail, Monk Parakeet and Goosander being among those I've seen so far.

Alan

mid-70's, Alan? Modest?! I'm on 53, although I live in a relatively poor birding area and 'rely' on public transport. Had 51 on saturday though,(excluding dead cormorant), which AMAZED me. So this leads me to ask, what's people's personal day records not involving rushing about from one hotspot to another in a car? (Bet this has been done elsewhere) Jealous of your 83 Simon, 'specially as you're just down the road from me.........

Darrenom said:
Jealous of your 83 Simon, 'specially as you're just down the road from me.........

Ahh! That does include a trip to Titchwell, so take away 15-20 from that (I'll work out "home" birds later!)

SimonC said:
Ahh! That does include a trip to Titchwell, so take away 15-20 from that (I'll work out "home" birds later!)

15-20???? who am I kidding? Better make that 35-40!
Just worked out my "home county" birds & it's only 49. Feeling any better?

Darrenom said:
mid-70's, Alan? Modest?! I'm on 53, although I live in a relatively poor birding area and 'rely' on public transport. Had 51 on saturday though,(excluding dead cormorant), which AMAZED me. So this leads me to ask, what's people's personal day records not involving rushing about from one hotspot to another in a car? (Bet this has been done elsewhere) Jealous of your 83 Simon, 'specially as you're just down the road from me.........

Hi Darrenom,

Glad you don't think mid-70s is a modest amount. Sometimes I tend to follow the view of the ancient Greek philosopher that he would rather people asked why there wasn't a statue of him than ask why there was one.

As for my best total in a day, it's 61.

Isn't Paston Gravel Pit in your part of the world (west Cambridgeshire)? That has some good stuff there, although I don't know if it's accessible to public transport. I think your "rely" in inverted commas is rather apt!

Alan

I added 11 this week which pushed me just past the 100 mark and I am now on 101. Still to do Norfolk or anywhere that will add largeish numbers to my list. Hopefully that will change soon. Birds added this week:

Green-winged Teal
Ferruginous Duck
Taiga Bean Geese
Brambling
Linnet
Goldcrest
Greylag
Coal Tit
Kingfisher
Ruff
Snipe

Birds I have missed include

Green Woodpecker
Siskin
Redpoll
Nuthatch
Meadow Pipt
Stonechat and Peregrine.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back