• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CANADA - spotted breast, yellow-black tail (1 Viewer)

BrentEades

Hello folks,

I'm a birding newbie and and my birding app seem to be letting me down on this one. Spotted him/her up a tree by a river here in Ontario.

What did I see? Thanks.

Attachments

• Bird.JPG
    Bird.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 159
They're my bane to see, three trips to North America and not one:C

If it helps, I spent a whole day wandering around the not very pleasant streets of Southampton once looking for one which had been reported (and I figured would at least likely be an acceptable ship-assist) that was probably a Jay!

They're my bane to see, three trips to North America and not one:C

Oh, good, I don't feel so bad about my three trips (the other way) and no Nightingale yet....

(Thought we had one for sure, last time (in France) - turned out, it was some dip playing a tape outside a café all night - I suspect for "atmosphere" |:(|).

Probably my own fault, the only time I went out to a shopping mall without my bins and a woodpecker type that I thought looked Flickerish flew up over the road but I couldn't see it properly. Also had an Osprey eating a fish on one of the lamp posts in the car park but guess what, no camera either

In a new continent and no bins? ? ? ?

Niels

We travelled from our hotel by courtesy bus a couple of miles to the shopping mall, I wasn't expecting to be birding at all as it was a shopping trip so decided to leave the bins in our safe. Bad move I know.

This is interesting for me to see. This is the 'Yellow Shafted' version of the Northern Flicker. They are the eastern version. Out here in Utah, we have the 'Red Shafted' version.

They're great birds - great personalities. They peck away at the ground, put their heads down to listen for bugs, peck some more. They peck noisily at our Aluminum roof. A few years ago, we had one work his way down our chimney looking for bugs. He got trapped in our fireplace, and I felt really bad for him. We finally opened the fireplace doors, hoping to catch him in a bed sheet, but he flew right out the open front door. Poor guy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back