• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What gloves for Photographer (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
What gloves for Photography

Can anyone recommend a pair of gloves that will allow you to get at the shutter and back buttons of a DSLR. I currently use fingerless gloves but have seen ones specifically for Photographers.

I have a pair of the Lowepro gloves, not ideal for very cold weather as they are quite thin but they do keep the chill off and let you grip the camera and use the controls.

I used to use a (not a pair) silk glove under my falconry glove, try and get a size that are neither to tight or to loose and put them under your fingerless gloves.
Its suprising how they keep the chill off and should allow you to manipulate your camera.

jon

Thanks for the feedback thus far Guys. I guess I should add that I always use a back button for focussing which makes it a bit more difficult I suppose.

I have a pair of Thermal Wildlife Mitts from Ultimate Nature Gear really superb gloves and fantastic value AT £17.99.
The mitt folds back to reveal your digits , and the thumb has an independant cover also. So you can handle the camera controls no problem.
For me excellent value for money , they are very well made and I have been using mine for a couple of years now with no problems.

Last edited:
I used to use thermal mitts with fingerless gloves under them for night-time winter fishing for cod from North Sea beaches. Did the trick, but maybe cumbersome for photography.

I've got a pair of neoprene gloves made by Barbour that I bought about 10 years ago for winter river fishing. The idea is that they keep your hands warm even when wet (not altogether an advantage for photography).

They have an added function in that the tips of the thumbs and first and second fingers filp back out of the way to allow anglers to tie on flies or hooks without taking the gloves off.

Now this function is useful for photography. You can keep your hands warm and have only the thumb and finger tips exposed to operate buttons.

As manufactured the gloves have small patches of Velcro on the slit fingers to hold the tips open, but in practice I find that this Velcro isn't needed and I unpicked the stitching on the right hand to remove it, primarily because it hurt like hell if I forgot about it and rubbed a watery eye with a gloved hand.

I'd recommend something like this.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback - as I use the back button to focus then I think that a pair with the thumb and trigger finger exposed is what I will go for. Just need to sort out which ones now.

I use a similar design from Mont-Bell, their CRIMABARRIA FISHING GLOVES.

I like having the middle finger available to activate the Fn and Preview buttons on the front of my Nikons in addition to the index finger for shutter release and thumb for AF buttons. But these are not that warm so if temps are more than a few degrees below freezing I recommend using thin silk, wool, or fleece glove liners also. Keeps your bare fingers from sticking to the metal too!

Attachments

• Montbell CRIMABARRIA FISHING GLOVES.jpg
    Montbell CRIMABARRIA FISHING GLOVES.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 193
How about giving Jack Pyke a look? [jackpyke.co.uk] They do a Hunter's Mitt which, while you can only bare index and thumb, has a thin enough under glove to allow you to push camera buttons, I reckon. They're very warm, waterproof, quiet [Being meant for hunters they're made from a 'stealth' fabric, and use magnets, not velcro] and have little pockets ideal for spare batteries etc. You can also get them in camouflage if that's your thing, and green if it's not. [Mine are green. ;) ]

How about giving Jack Pyke a look? [jackpyke.co.uk] They do a Hunter's Mitt which, while you can only bare index and thumb, has a thin enough under glove to allow you to push camera buttons, I reckon. They're very warm, waterproof, quiet [Being meant for hunters they're made from a 'stealth' fabric, and use magnets, not velcro] and have little pockets ideal for spare batteries etc. You can also get them in camouflage if that's your thing, and green if it's not. [Mine are green. ;) ]
Thanks for that Tom - how are Mitts for carrying a tripod/ camera and lens over the shoulder? I was just wondering if you can get a good grip of the pod legs.

Try and get someone to knit a special. My old Mum made a pair for me which I used for cycling and the left hand glove was a full mitt and the right hand one(gear changing) was a mitt with a separate index finger and thumb. I suppose you could get any combination constructed. I wore those with a conventional pair underneath and the trapped air between the two layers with the mitt effect was very warm even in the slipstream.

Update: I have just purchased a pair of gloves from Primark (a tad expensive at £2 lol) and cut off the thump and index finger on the right hand glove to see how it goes - if I get on OK I might lash out on a pukka pair. Thanks for all your help :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back