• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Bird Counts (1 Viewer)

streatham

Hi All,

I imagine that a lot of the US birders here already have made their plans to take part in their local bird count. If you are a new birder there is no better way to meet up with local birders, learn some more about birding in your local area and add a few new birds to your list. My local count is Westport CT - just been doing some pre-day scouting. You can find your local circle here: http://cbc.audubon.org/cbcapp/findCircles.jsp

Luke

Thanks for the link Luke. I haven't seen it before. I'm looking forward to the Vancouver, B.C. count Dec. 19. I think it's year 15 for me. Don't U.K. birders get to join in the fun? And if not, why not? It's the best way for experienced birders to hook up with beginners that I know of. I almost always get some novice birders to come out with me.

streatham said:
Hi All,

I imagine that a lot of the US birders here already have made their plans to take part in their local bird count. If you are a new birder there is no better way to meet up with local birders, learn some more about birding in your local area and add a few new birds to your list. My local count is Westport CT - just been doing some pre-day scouting. You can find your local circle here: http://cbc.audubon.org/cbcapp/findCircles.jsp

Luke

Amazing how people act alike. I was out friday doing some scouting near Codorus State Park in York, PA.

Stay safe and enjoy,

Mike

I'll be out too on Xmas morning, but only as far as my local patch. It's been a regular for a few years now, though sometimes it's Boxing Day instead. There have been no surpises yet but it's nice being able to compare each year for a particular day.

Hi Michael,

Well I had an amusing scouting trip - nothing in my area at all but I ran into a load of stuff not more than 200 yards down the road from my count area. Typical!

Luke

For the last few years, I've done my CBC on New Year's Day -- which is when Muscatatuck NWR in central Indiana schedules it's annual count. I think I've got 3 years in.

I'm in the process of changing jobs, though, and won't have nearly the available time this year, so I don't know if I can make that count -- it's 200 miles away, after all!

And this last spring, I participated in my first May Day Count, the spring version of the CBC -- and helped to cover the county just north of me. Had a blast, and saw a wonderful partial-albino Red-tailed Hawk that was just superb!

Thanks for the link... someone convince me to sign up and register for Queens count but im a bit hesitant...if i had someone i know to go with lol maybe.
Edit: Oh snaps i work on saturday. :( maybe i can get off...

Last edited:
You guys havent lived till you do Elk Island Xmas Count here outside Edmonton. Its a National Park and one year I hiked 20 km (minus 20) for 2 chickadees and a white breasted nuthatch! Now I do the west side of the park and do a lot better (just outside park boundry)

Our count up here in Kirksville, MO is this coming Saturday, and as it's my first, I'm very excited! I really have no idea what to expect other than I've heard it'll be a bit more well attended than the monthly trips a group of us have been taking this fall.

bob parsons said:
You guys havent lived till you do Elk Island Xmas Count here outside Edmonton. Its a National Park and one year I hiked 20 km (minus 20) for 2 chickadees and a white breasted nuthatch! Now I do the west side of the park and do a lot better (just outside park boundry)
Hey! I thought you Edmontonians got all sorts of good birds like Hoary Redpoll and Northern Hawk Owl and Frozen to Death Warbler! ;)

Kevin Mac said:
Hey! I thought you Edmontonians got all sorts of good birds like Hoary Redpoll and Northern Hawk Owl and Frozen to Death Warbler! ;)
Oh yeah, thats in town! I'm talking about real birding, miles from anywhere and frozen to the bone!

I intend to try once again to do all four Island counts. I've tried to do this for the last three years but never quite make it. I always get stuck at three. Nobody has ever done all four and I thought that I would be the first to do so.

Now if you want to talk about cold counts, you should try the East Point count.
The wind just howls in off of the water. It can be really wild but it is my favourite because you never know what will show up. Great fun!! :bounce:

pdog_109 said:
Thanks for the link... someone convince me to sign up and register for Queens count but im a bit hesitant...if i had someone i know to go with lol maybe.
Edit: Oh snaps i work on saturday. :( maybe i can get off...

Hi Pdog,

You should definitely do the count - you'll be sure to find some friendly people on the count - and you'll be sure to gather a wealth of information on your local area. In my experience birders are pretty friendly types - I went to my first count on my own and now have a number of firm friends out of that experience.

Luke

snowyowl said:
It can be really wild but it is my favourite because you never know what will show up. Great fun!! :bounce:

Hi Dan,

It also gives you a fresh perspective on old birds - last years CBC was the only time (apart from the first) I actually got excited about finding a catbird on a walk.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back