• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (2 Viewers)

Can some one point me to a place similar too Worcester Birding for other areas like Warwickshire, West Mids etc.....

Asking as I found out from Sandwell thread on here about the goodies at Bartley - no one seems to update this one.

It depends what level of birds you are interested in - Staffordshire Bird News and Tame Valley Birding blog are two good sources for those specific areas.

If you want a single source and are just interested in the regional scarcities try joining the West Midlands Birding group on Facebook

I found it easier to put County new on the Sandwell thread than keep updating several different ones
Dave

Thanks......a lot of the sites dont get a lot of reporting - I only get little time and mostly stick around Bittell ....only find out about other places mostly on here and your updates are most welcome.

Tuesday.......went looking for the Scoter but my equipment is not good enough to sort one out here...from the dam the light was too bright and couldn't get close enough anywhere else.

Did think I had Female(s) Goldeneye but not close enough to confirm.

Lots of Little Grebe catching fish and G.C.grebe and Gulls trying to relieve them of them.....

Need to revisit for another attempt soon.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 NOV 13 122 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 13 122 A_filtered.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 80
  • grebe 4_filtered.jpg
    grebe 4_filtered.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 99
  • grebe 5_filtered.jpg
    grebe 5_filtered.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 88
  • grebe 6_filtered.jpg
    grebe 6_filtered.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Canon 2016 NOV 13 154 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 13 154 A.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 87
3 Waxwings seen late morning on rooftops just up the road along Merritts Hill opposite The Highlander pub. They didn't hang around for long but nice to know they're in the area. Also 15 Goldeneye on the reservoir.

sandpiper (green)

Seen in flight and when it landed in the freshwater pool on church hill beside St . Leonards. Saw on Thursday 9th march

Bit surprised to find 2 Sandwich Terns at about 10:30 this morning, perched up on one of the large buoys. They didn't even seem to mind the sailing boats, but a lesser black-backed gull eventually saw them off around 11:15.
Still about 20 G C Grebe but no Egyptian Goose - good record here.
Pic below - apologies for quality (or lack of) but camera is over 10 years old!

Attachments

• P1020306 (3).JPG
    P1020306 (3).JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Widespread sightings of Common Scoter on various water bodies in the Midlands today, including nine at Bartley Reservoir. First reported this morning and still present when I visited at 4pm.

The viewing point on Scotland Lane was home to several juvenile Whitethroat, flitting through the long grass in the drizzle.

A Bartley tick for me today in the shape of a Hawfinch, which flew into the Hawthorns in the south east corner with a group of Redwings. Also 9 Goldeneye, plus 22 Teal and a pair of Gadwall (the last two are quite unusual here).

3 distant ducks this morning turned out to be Pintails, 2 drakes & a female. Sadly flew off high south at 10:30 following the appearance of two paddle boarders.

What is presumably the same Green Sandpiper I first saw in late September is still hanging on at the southern end.

The Slavonian Grebe, first reported on Wednesday (as far as I'm aware) was still around at 3.30pm today. West of the most southerly yellow buoy, with two Great Crested Grebes. Close enough to the Scotland Lane viewing area that I heard it call a couple of times.

It was on the surface preening for some time when I first picked it up. As I left, it had gone into a series of fishing dives and was only surfacing for short periods.

Thanks Rob for putting sighting on here else I wouldn't have known about it.
No sighting as yet this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back