• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeders out for a month but no birds... (2 Viewers)

So Ive had these bird feeders out for a while during the warmer months with no food in them and have just recently filled them up (about a month or month 1/2 ago) and I have yet to see 1 bird come to them. the squirrels are coming to one but I don't want the squirrels. lol could the squirrels be scaring off the birds? I had birds before when they had food in them the first time... any tips would be appreciated.
thanks.

There is still plenty of natural food about, so I wouldn't worry unduly. When it gets very cold and the ground is frozen or covered in snow then they will appear.

There are some things to consider about the placement of feeders and the types of food, it's possible that something could be tweaked to make the feeder more attractive... Some kinds of seed (especially thistle if you're using that) can go bad - that is it tastes bad, not that it is toxic to them. If you have a good place for it, suet is very attractive for birds now too. I guess with the recent cold spell (and if you got snow), a feeder should become very attractive about now. You can find more discussion about this in this subforum on birds in the garden or the subforum on feeders.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back