• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need lightweight bins (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

I've been away from birding for five years due to ill health. I've been building my stamina up and I can now manage a reasonable walk - 3 or 4 km. But not with my binoculars around my neck.

I still have my Swarovski 8.5 x 42 EL binoculars, but they're just too heavy. I get severe pain in my neck and across my shoulders after about 40 minutes.

Can anybody suggest a pair of lighter bins? They do not need to be superbly bright as I'll only be using them in reasonably good light But I obviously don't want a pair of 12x25s

It would just be nice if I could carry something around while walking the dogs that would be of some help.

I suppose a monocular would fit the bill - almost half the weight. Any good ones I might look at?

What's the budget? I've just bought a pair of CL 8X30s and they are excellent, I can see why they are eating into the EL 8x32s. I bought them to bird watch whilst dog walking and they are perfect.

A pair of 8x32's sounds like it would fit the bill. Nikon M7 (8x30), Kite (8x30) or these Opticrons would be the best options, perhaps invest in a harness for your Swarovski's, then the smaller pair could be used as a back-up/spare?

In a 42mm still, you could try the Nikon MHG 8x42. Very nice in the hand, noticeably lighter than other 42's, nice build quality, wide Fov, and only a few ounces heavier than the x32mm class.

Otherwise in a 32mm it would be hard to go past the 8x32 SV, and there is the new Zeiss 8x32 SF with it's huge 465ft Fov to compare it against too. There is also the older Zeiss 8x32 FL as well.

Should be one in that lot to find joy with ..... :)
Perhaps consider too - a sling, or even harness.
Good luck !

Chosun :gh:

I would 2nd Paskman. If weight is the number one priority but yet you want a serious birding binocular I would go with the Swarovski CL 8x30. Quite a bit better optically than the Nikon M7 8x30 or HG 8x30 and only 2 oz. heavier at 17 oz. The 32mm's like the FL, SV and EDG's aren't going to be that much lighter than the SV 8.5x42 IMO. The CL is a full 10 oz. under the SV 8.5x42 and you hardly notice it around your neck.

Last edited:
Depending on your budget one of the following should be suitable - Nikon Prostaff 8x30 £150 415g, Nikon M7 8x30 £280, 435g Traveller BGA ED 8x32 £329 or Kite Lynx 8x30 £440 460g

I have a pair of Kites which although bought as a 'spare' pair for travelling I now use more often than my 8x42 Zeiss as they're so lightweight. I have also had a pair of Nikon M7 8x30 which has a wider & better neck strap than the Kites and slighter better ergonomics (for my hands) but a marginally less good image as the Kites. When buying the M7 I compared it with the Prostaff and, as expected, the M7 was distinctly better optically. I also compared the M7 with a Opticron Traveller (although I think it may have been an older model) and thought the Nikon better. All would serve you well. If money doesn't extend to the Kites then the M7s should serve you well.

Some good suggestions already, regarding the 8x30 format, and the idea of using a harness or a sling. If you're willing to go even smaller, consider the 8x25 Zeiss Victory Pocket. It will fit in a wide shirt pocket, and has very good optics. Many also give the 8x25 Zeiss Terra good marks, though I've not tried that one. I use the pocket for the long hikes and pack trips. You won't know its there.

-Bill

I needed a small and lightweight binocular, and wanted a bit more magnification for when I wouldn’t have a scope with me, so I fairly recently bought a pair of Opticron Traveller BGA ED 10x32

https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-prod...ller-bga-ed-binoculars/traveller-bga-ed-10x32

I was actually astonished by their image quality, form factor and weight for the price I was paying. I am used to a 7x42FL as my main binocular. The older Traveller model is not a patch on the newer ED model in my eyes! I did try a fair few other makes and models and nothing really came close for the price.

A pair of 8x32's sounds like it would fit the bill. Nikon M7 (8x30), Kite (8x30) or these Opticrons would be the best options, perhaps invest in a harness for your Swarovski's, then the smaller pair could be used as a back-up/spare?

Depending on your budget one of the following should be suitable - Nikon Prostaff 8x30 £150 415g, Nikon M7 8x30 £280, 435g Traveller BGA ED 8x32 £329 or Kite Lynx 8x30 £440 460g

I have a pair of Kites which although bought as a 'spare' pair for travelling I now use more often than my 8x42 Zeiss as they're so lightweight. I have also had a pair of Nikon M7 8x30 which has a wider & better neck strap than the Kites and slighter better ergonomics (for my hands) but a marginally less good image as the Kites. When buying the M7 I compared it with the Prostaff and, as expected, the M7 was distinctly better optically. I also compared the M7 with a Opticron Traveller (although I think it may have been an older model) and thought the Nikon better. All would serve you well. If money doesn't extend to the Kites then the M7s should serve you well.

Some good suggestions already, regarding the 8x30 format, and the idea of using a harness or a sling. If you're willing to go even smaller, consider the 8x25 Zeiss Victory Pocket. It will fit in a wide shirt pocket, and has very good optics. Many also give the 8x25 Zeiss Terra good marks, though I've not tried that one. I use the pocket for the long hikes and pack trips. You won't know its there.

-Bill

I would go with the Nikon M7 8x30 then. Reasonably priced, good optics and nice and light.

I like the idea of the Monarch 7 8X30. I've had one 2+ years. It's my go to binocular for anywhere I might damage or lose a binocular...or at least where the possibility is increased. I've actually been using it on the beach the last several days, every day. It's a good binocular. Focus is smooth and optics are plenty good. It's very light and compact. I use with WITH eyeglasses/Oakley sunglasses and without.

You also might look into getting you a Rick Young UL harness to go with it. You'll hardly know you are carrying it.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10fd.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1FC371B4-B9CF-4441-877A-5BD2F5DFD2FA.jpeg
    1FC371B4-B9CF-4441-877A-5BD2F5DFD2FA.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 34
I think many good advices were given already, with a special mention for 8x30 Kite Lynx/Nikon M7, or 8x25 Zeiss Terra depending on preferences and priorities, being probably 80-90% as good as their respective, more expensive colleagues like the Swarovski Companion 8x30 or Zeiss Victory 8x25 (I would really love to try the former though. :) )
Ultimately, it remains something personal.

Personally, I think a good 8x30mm is my sweet spot for lightweight but comfortable and enjoyable in most conditions (from longer walks to use at home and casual observations etc.).
8x25mm being mainly interesting if weight and compactness when folded and put away in jacket/bag/... become more important at a bit of comfort and light gathering expenses. E.g. binoculars to bring along even if you don’t know if you will have the occasion to use them or on long hiking or cycling,when your limited weight and space wise.
An alpha 8-10x32 if weight is a bit less of a concern and wanting top tier image quality. Strangely enough most (all?) good 8x32mm are noticeably heavier than the above mentioned 8x30‘s.
And 8-10x42-50mm if use at dusk/dawn/low light or long distance (10x).

Disclaimer: I don’t have any 50mm or alpha ~42mm or 32mm myself (yet)! |:$|

Having had only a 10,5x44mm for more than 15 years, recent addition of a Zeiss Victory 8x25mm and a Kite Lynx HD 8x30mm was really welcome. Below is how I experience the difference between these binoculars:
The 8x25mm can almost ‘disappear’: I could sometimes forget I’m carrying it around my neck. Also, especially for its size, its optics are really impressive. However, while the Zeiss optics are a little better, at least “per objective mm”, I tend to more quickly take the Kite 8x30 than both of the two others. This is due in part by its nice balance of weight, ergonomics, optical quality and use comfort (incl.eye placement, brightness...). I comfortably cycle with the 8x30 around my neck and, as opposed to reducing from a 42-42mm, I don’t see a huge size/weight benefit anymore from going smaller when around my neck (as opposed to put away in a jacket/bag/... because of folded size). Another reason for often picking the 8x30mm instead of the 8x25 is that relatives, less used to using binoculars, found the 8x30 a bit more easy/comfortable to use than the 8x25 and, when walking together, it’s also about sharing what you see and thus your binoculars ;)

The neck strap of the Kite could indeed be better/wider for use just with a T-shirt in summer, but perfectly OK for me when e.g. wearing a jacket anyway. The eyecups are a little bit to loose (not having stop-positions) but that seems to have been improved in the last version (HD+). Sometimes, it can have a bit too much glare/reflections though.

Apart from the Zeiss Terra, if considering a 8x25mm, you may also want to look at the Bynolyt Seagull, based on the very interesting comparison at HouseOfOutdoors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back