• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decent High Powered Binoculars (1 Viewer)

fikey

United States
I have a decent pair of 10x 42 Nikon binoculars that serve me well. I am looking to purchase something stronger for on a tripod at my house where it is not uncommon to see deer, elk, coyotes, eagles, hawks, etc. I would like to keep the budget around $300, but don't want to be disappointed. A few that I am considering are the Nikon Aculon 10-22x50, Nikon Monarch 5 20x50, Celestron Skymaster 20x80 and Vortex Optics HD 20x56. Any reviews/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

At $300 you may well be disappointed
2nd hand may well be the way to go to get better quality.
Agree, particularly in regard to zoom models......they're just horrible, especially low costing units. A good quality fixed magnification binocular will serve much better, but why not a reasonable spotting scope if you're seeking higher magnification and utilising a tripod?

Edit ....Pentax DP 20 x 60 WP might do the job for under 300 bucks.

The Nikon Action 10-22x50 has horrible CA at 22x, although I sometimes use it.

Although the Pentax 20x60 seems O.K. to many it has a miserably small field and both of mine are rubbish.
The 16x60 is better.

Old really good Japanese 20x80s can be excellent, despite single layer coatings.
The Tordalk 22x80 can also be good.

The Soviet 20x60s vary. Old ones are often better.

Long Swift 20x80s can be good.

But a good spotting scope or better still an astro scope with a good diagonal or prism from a fixed location will show more.

A Celestron 90mm f/10 astro scope on a heavy altazimuth mount will probably be better than most spotting scopes.
The price is low.

Or an 80mm or 100mm ED Skywatcher.

I use a 150mm Maksutov with oversize primary or a 120mm refractor.

Don't use from an open window, where air currents will destroy the image.
Use outside or from an unheated room with doors wide open or through very good window glass.

Regards,
B.

Agree, particularly in regard to zoom models......they're just horrible, especially low costing units. A good quality fixed magnification binocular will serve much better, but why not a reasonable spotting scope if you're seeking higher magnification and utilising a tripod?

Edit ....Pentax DP 20 x 60 WP might do the job for under 300 bucks.
Tried a spotting scope once. Very fatiguing with one eye. ???

The Nikon Action 10-22x50 has horrible CA at 22x, although I sometimes use it.

Although the Pentax 20x60 seems O.K. to many it has a miserably small field and both of mine are rubbish.
The 16x60 is better.

Old really good Japanese 20x80s can be excellent, despite single layer coatings.
The Tordalk 22x80 can also be good.

The Soviet 20x60s vary. Old ones are often better.

Long Swift 20x80s can be good.

But a good spotting scope or better still an astro scope with a good diagonal or prism from a fixed location will show more.

A Celestron 90mm f/10 astro scope on a heavy altazimuth mount will probably be better than most spotting scopes.
The price is low.

Or an 80mm or 100mm ED Skywatcher.

I use a 150mm Maksutov with oversize primary or a 120mm refractor.

Don't use from an open window, where air currents will destroy the image.
Use outside or from an unheated room with doors wide open or through very good window glass.

Regards,
B.
I surely appreciate the feedback, but I am overloaded. I tried a spotting scope once and it was very fatiguing using one eye. Don't know if that is just me or what. From my house, I can see for about 5 miles into the mountains. I really just want to glass for critters for the fun of it. Could you narrow down your recommendation? Thanks.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

Getting a good 20x pair for $300 will be tricky - especially when buying new and if you want center focus. I would recommend 60 or 80mm aperture, an 20x50 with 2.5mm exit pupil has the same problems as an 8x20 pocket pair... only worse.

Over here in Germany I would observe classifieds and look for russian/soviet or japanese 20x60 or x80 pairs within driving distance and try a few... and hopefully find a good one... taking my tripod adapters and tripod for proper testing.

22x80 Tordalks (like the others - made by Herthel & Reuss Kassel and Christian Beck Söhne Kassel) are getting kinda rare even over here within driving distance from Kassel and working pairs are more like 500€.
Even rarer would be a Hartmann Wetzlar Bernina 25x80... this would be closer to 1000€ in good order but probably be better than the Tordalk.

Joachim

Last edited:
Only you know what “decent” means, when you say it.

Under no circumstances buy zoom binoculars.

To be brutally honest, you aren’t going to get a hell of a lot for $300. (I have no recommendations)

Sorry.

If using one eye is tiring then it should be a binocular.

But make sure that the binocular is well aligned, so that both images are correct.

Also that the inside is clean and has no moisture layer or fungus.

I am not sure about Chinese 20x80s. I suppose some may be O.K.

Besides a good 1970s or 1980s Japanese 20x80, there are some good Japanese 20x70s.

It is important to try the binocular yourself.

But you could try a Chinese 20x80 and hope it is O.K.

The cheap Chinese 15x70s are notorious for being out of collimation either when new or after a short while.
They are actually about 15x63 because of vignetting.
I don't know if the same collimation problems applies to the Chinese 20x80s.

But the better more expensive 15x70 Quantam that I have is good but heavier.

If you live in a dry climate then fungus should not be a problem, but wetter or humid areas may be very different.

Regards,
B.

I disagree.

A discerning buyer can buy a very good quality secondhand Japanese 20x80 for $300.

But you must try it yourself and know what problems to look for.

A reasonable Soviet 20x60 might be $150.

Much as I hate mine, a good Pentax 20x60 might be the answer, despite a 2.2 degree field.

Regards,
B.

Additionally, my 25x-135x80 Japanese zoom binocular is good up to 80x, but is expertly aligned and was much less than $300.

But I certainly would not recommend a zoom binocular to the inexperienced.

Also avoid the Japanese 30x80s as eye relief is almost non existent.

Also if eye glasses are worn make sure there is enough eye relief.
I think the Pentax 20x60 may be O.K. with glasses.

Regards,
B.

Okay dokey, without overloading you too much we can safely say......

1. Zoom binoculars are a no no.
2. A spotting scope is unfeasible.
3. A magnification of x 15 up to x 20 is recommended for your use on a suitable and sturdy tripod.

Given your budget of around $300 you will be purchasing a "basic" instrument.
Buying secondhand is fine if you have some experience and knowledge of optics and their various characteristics, and understanding what to look for.

As always, it is best if you can get to a store to try out a few examples - it is always a personal choice as what suits you may not work for others, and vice versa.

Another vote for trying to find a trustworthy 2nd hand seller that has a well kept unit. However, alignment at 20x in old binoculars can be a bit of a gamble.

I know you said you found scope tiresome, and I agree it is way less comfortable than using a binocular, but I also agree with @ORKen on his remark. Maybe with practice and good results you can change your mind about using a scope. I'm saying this because lately I bought an ultralight and relatively inexpensive 20-40x Kowa scope from a forum member and I'm over the Moon. It's the TSN 501, over here in Europe it can be found for around 300 €, so probably you can get it for less than that in the US, given that you don't pay import taxes. It weights less than a pound, could be carried in a raincoat pocket and although it's "only" 50 mm in aperture, goes from 20x to 40x and it's pretty much usable to almost the last bit of magnification. Despite the lack of ED, I find the image quality surprising for the price/size/weight. No, it's not match for my Swarovski scope, but I can recommend it wholeheartedly if you are on a budget and want some more reach to enjoy those critters around. I don't think you can go wrong with it.

My favorite high power binos are, Vortex Diamondback 12x50 and the Ddoptics Pirschler 15x56 (can be found for around 500 €).
I rarely use my Soviet 20x60 but that one was 100 €. Stay away from the cheap Celestron binos.
Nikon 16x50 might also be worth a look.

I disagree.

A discerning buyer can buy a very good quality secondhand Japanese 20x80 for $300.

But you must try it yourself and know what problems to look for.

A reasonable Soviet 20x60 might be $150.

Much as I hate mine, a good Pentax 20x60 might be the answer, despite a 2.2 degree field.

Regards,
B.
Where can you find used binoculars?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back