• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying equipment? (1 Viewer)

kas

I know this is not a technical question so I hope I'm not in the wrong thread.
Does any one know what is best for carrying all your equipment in the field?(apart from a dogsbody)
Since getting my camera I dont want to leave it behind, but carring scope camera tripod binos etc isn't exactly practicle.
I have a few long walks planned for May, where I know there will be some Fantastic photo opportunities but need to find a better way to carry the kit.
Any suggestions would be gladly received
Many Thanks Kas

I use a proper camera bag that is like a rucksack, but has compartments for camera, lenses etc. I try to "travel light", only taking main tele-zoom and a small standard zoom. My bins also fit in the bag. Since buying a monopod, i carry the camere and telezoom attached to this - the balance in my hand makes it quite easy, and it is ready at all times.

This leaves loads of spave in my bag for sandwiches, flask, chocolate, field guide and other odds and ends.

If i take a scope, then this is usually carried in it's own bag.

The bag i have is a Lowerpro Mini Trecker. It was a bargain for £50 from Warehouse Express.

rezMole said:
I use a proper camera bag that is like a rucksack, but has compartments for camera, lenses etc. I try to "travel light", only taking main tele-zoom and a small standard zoom. My bins also fit in the bag. Since buying a monopod, i carry the camere and telezoom attached to this - the balance in my hand makes it quite easy, and it is ready at all times.

This leaves loads of spave in my bag for sandwiches, flask, chocolate, field guide and other odds and ends.

If i take a scope, then this is usually carried in it's own bag.

The bag i have is a Lowerpro Mini Trecker. It was a bargain for £50 from Warehouse Express.

That's 'travelling light'??...wait until Comrade Allwood sees this :eek!:

Thanks everyone,I'll look for that bag. I have a Lowepro bag but it is a shoulder type one.

I dont think it is possible to travel light with digiscoping kit.

I'll just have to leave it at home sometimes but you can be sure thats when you'll really want it.

Kas

i have found the best method of carrying all my equipment over long distances is 'wife' - occasionally moans however moans more if I am away for consecutive days at this time of year without inviting her (lol)

I use a Lowepro camera bag around the waist to carry the CP4500 with it's bits and pieces and a webbed strap/sling across the body to carry the tripod which leaves the hands free for the binos or whatever.

If you don't want to travel lite but do want a comfortable daysac I would recommend having a look at the Kibo 40 made by Lifeventure. It's well constructed and very comfortable to carry.

I get a Pentax 80 Scope and Sherpa 750 tripod in the back main compartment and camera bag with CP4500 and binos in the front main compartment. The front main compartment also has 2 inner zipped pockets for bits and pieces. This still leaves yet another pocket for field guide, sandwiches etc and there are 2 side mesh pockets for flask etc. Both main pockets are zipped to about 3/4 of the way down the sides for easy access. To improve it slightly I cut up a rollmat and velcroed it to the inside of the 2 big compartments to provide permanent padding for my optics.

You can walk all day with this beast and the best price I can currently find is £40 at the link below:

http://www.aktive8.com/product_detail.html?id=LMR005_AW04

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back