• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID help please (1 Viewer)

Allen1tx

I'm sorry for the poor quality. I didin't have much time. These are photos of a raptor taken in Montana in July. Initially was thinking Red tailed hawk but now not really sure. Thanks in advance!! Harlan's?? (I know that's basically a Red tailed variant)

Attachments

• raptor id 1.jpg
    raptor id 1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Raptor id 2.jpg
    Raptor id 2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Raptor ID 3.jpg
    Raptor ID 3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Raptor ID 4.jpg
    Raptor ID 4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
These are somewhat difficult photos to analyze but based on what looks like a pale rectangular panel above the primaries in the 2nd picture and the thin light and dark bandings on the tail in the 4th picture, it looks like a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk. So your initial impression was probably correct!

Bob

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the poor quality. I didin't have much time. These are photos of a raptor taken in Montana in July. Initially was thinking Red tailed hawk but now not really sure. Thanks in advance!! Harlan's?? (I know that's basically a Red tailed variant)

Regarding your query about it being a Harlan's Hawk, a sub species of the Red-tailed Hawk, things get complicated. As you know their tails have great variations at maturity.

I'm confident that this bird is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, probably a "Western" B.j.calurus. Harlan's Hawks are still in their Breeding grounds in the Canadian Yukon Territory and Eastern Alaska in July. They leave their breeding grounds in September for the Mississippi Valley region where they winter over.

Photographs of Juvenile Harlan's Hawks in Wheeler's "RAPTORS of Western North America" show their tails to have brown broad, moderate or narrow equal width dark and light tail bands. Their heads can be varied, either mostly white or dark brown or even mostly black.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back