• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Godwit, help please. Muscat, Oman, March 23 2024 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, these photos were taken on a very shallow creek, about 100 meters in from the shoreline, in Muscat, close to the airport. I suspect they are all black-tail fodwits, but i am hoping that I am wrong and one or more are bar-tailed.
All comments and suggestions and corrections much appreciated.
Apologies for their poor quality, especially the last 3.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1d11.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d11.jpeg
    884.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN8271.JPG
    DSCN8271.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 40
  • fullsizeoutput_1d39.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1d39.jpeg
    646.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN8394.JPG
    DSCN8394.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN8395.JPG
    DSCN8395.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
Note underparts are largely breeding plumage - quite different from any plumage of bar-tailed godwit (see you field guide for details).
Retained winter upperpart feathers are plain, without central dark streak of bar-tailed godwit.

Thank you Andrew and Butty. Much appreciated. It was the barring underparts that made me suspect black-tailed but I had read they were found more in deeper water and that bar-tailed were in mud, so I was hoping the last 3 photos, which I could not make much out, might have been bar-tailed. Oh well, try again:)
thanks again
steve

the barring underparts that made me suspect black-tailed but I had read they were found more in deeper water and that bar-tailed were in mud
It saves time, and helps people to help you and to give you more-targeted and more-useful answers, if thoughts/doubts like this are given right at the outset (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back