• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

It looks like I may be going to Estonia in the last week of May. I've scoured the web and found a couple of trip reports but if anyone has any other gen I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I was in Estonia in April 2004. Had excellent time. I found very good guide thanks to this forum. He's very bright bloke. Knows birds very good and is member of Estonian Rarities Committee. I suggest him warmly. Thanks to him i saw good ones like Citrine Wag, Three-t WP, White-b WP, Ural Owl, Pygmy owl + other stuff. It's hard to go to good places without a guide. He's much cheaper than other tour-companies guides. Asked 60 EUR per day + plus accomodation costs.
You can mail him at uqpaal 'at' hot.ee

cheers,
Br

We'll watch out for you Steve. We're there from 23rd to 30th May, starting off on the west coast for a couple of nights, then a bit further south then to the Tartu area for two nights before finishing off with a night in Tallin.

I'll be the fat bloke with a beard. The one that's not a fat bloke with a beard will probably be Julie.

Do you have any decent info for finding the Great Snipe lek? We're more into finding birds and other wildlife than chasing specific targets, but the lek sounds like fun.

It looks like my trip plans are going to change and I will now probably be going to Poland, but thanks for gen it certainly likely to be a future destination. Just found out that there is now a new edition of watching birds in Eastern Europe which will hopefullly be useful.

Steve

Now considering Estonia again, probably in early to mid April. All the trip reports appear to be tours or done with a guide. Anyone done it independently at this time of year? Any advise appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Steve.
Myself and my better half are off to Estonia in April 2011, 12th-19th. We are doing some bits ourselves, and some with a guide. Estonian Nature Tours: http://www.naturetours.ee/
have been very helpful so far, and we are using one of their guides for 2 days of the 7. PM me if you want a price and a detailed itinerary, but roughly we are picking up a rental car from Tallinn and heading to Haapsalu, Saareema Island, Parnu, Tartu and back to the capital. The aforementioned company have also helped us out with accommodation. Cannot wait! We are using Gerard Gorman's excellent guide. So, I will be in a better position to evaluate once I have been, but from what I have read and heard, Estonia sounds like a fantastic country to visit and I am optimistic that I can make the best of the trip in terms of the birds, with or without a guide.
Cheers,
Jim.

May bump into you there then. Not sure if it will be next year or some future date yet. Quite tempted to do one early spring trip for Steller's with a birding mate and a later family trip. I may well PM you later when I clearer on when I'm likely to be going. As well as birds, I'd be interested if anyone has good sites for beaver, I've only ever seen one - briefly in Poland.

Do you have any decent info for finding the Great Snipe lek? We're more into finding birds and other wildlife than chasing specific targets, but the lek sounds like fun.

Great Snipe leks are prone to disturbance, few are easily accessible without significant chance of booting the birds. I would urge members on this forum not to post details where to find the leks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back