• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is there any picticular month you don't go birding? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Is there any picticular month you don't go birding as often as normal? even though I do go birding a lot the only time I don't go birding is in August because I enjoy attending The Edinburgh Festival Fringe it's ususally a busy time as there's so much to see so I very rarely go birding in August but look forward going birding again in September even now as I will be off to Cuba.

I try to go birding 3 to 4 times per week and although it is very hot here July /August and it is a bit quieter during these months I go every month of the year but spring autumn and winter are my best times.....Eddy

Yes, it's called JanuaryFebruaryMarch, and it's kind of long...

December,January(spurt of birding to get new year list going,does not last long before I get everything local),February,and much of March(towards the end of the month start checking out open water)

I used to not bother too much with July/August, but I use this time for other things now - butterflies, dragonflies, flowers etc.

Is there any picticular month you don't go birding as often as normal? even though I do go birding a lot the only time I don't go birding is in August because I enjoy attending The Edinburgh Festival Fringe it's ususally a busy time as there's so much to see so I very rarely go birding in August but look forward going birding again in September even now as I will be off to Cuba.

My ebird lists prove that I don't go birding as often in March and November. We have really strong seasonal winds in our area, and last autumn I became ill from going out in that weather (and saw only a few rooks and no Grey Wagtail) and missed most of my December birding due to illness. This May we had a prolonged period of ugly rain (but that is not regular every year), sometimes we have tropical heat in July-August and we high-BP people are advised not to be outside much, and my local forest patch is very poor in birdlife in second part of autumn after the migrants have left and winter guests have not arrived yet, so it is kind of pointless to go out in the mud and see only a few year-round residents.

Or maybe the thing is that I go out as much as possible in really good periods of the year: Jan, Feb, Apr, May, Sep. This year I have started going out in June and July mornings in order to amass ebird data for local patches. I hope I will keep doing it regularly until the end of year so there would be data for all seasons.

Afraid not. I concentrate more on plants and invertebrates during June, July and August but still do some birding most days. Even when I'm 'gainfully' employed in Japan I sneak an hour or so in each day - much to the annoyance of my students who can't find me. :t:

Chris

I was going to say August Euan but this year I'm borrowing a camper for a couple of nights and heading to Cors Caron, Borth and maybe Marloes Sands for a couple of nights sans family - I sense the peace and tranquility already:hippy:

Rich

My birding used to be very quiet between mid-July and mid-August, however volunteering at an Osprey project means I am now an all-year birder - not quite a twitcher though.... yet.

I was going to say August Euan but this year I'm borrowing a camper for a couple of nights and heading to Cors Caron, Borth and maybe Marloes Sands for a couple of nights sans family - I sense the peace and tranquility already:hippy:

Rich

That sounds a good plan. I've never thought about hiring a camper van, but it might be the way to go for birding trips around the country, especially saving on accommodation costs. Can you only sleep overnight in dedicated camping areas?

That sounds a good plan. I've never thought about hiring a camper van, but it might be the way to go for birding trips around the country, especially saving on accommodation costs. Can you only sleep overnight in dedicated camping areas?

Hi JT. Luckily my parents have bought one. I plan on on kipping whenever I get tired:t: Probably wont be dedicated camp sites.

Rich

I will go anytime is weather permits :-O:-O:-O:-O

Winter can be dodgy for many reason as I hate the show, cold, and ice - like the birds I am sure they feel the same way! o:)

Got my life on hold at the moment as have some 'important' paperwork to sort out, so birding will resume shortly - wind or shine!

Regards
Kathy
x

I will go out in any weather in any month. This hot weather is a bit of a killer for birding tho. Just have to watch butterflies/dragonflies to fill in the time between birds.

CB

Last edited:
I try to get out as often as possible - there is always something different to see, whatever the season. If there is ever such a thing as a quiet period I use it to brush up on my spelling ;)8-P

Don't usually go in Jan.-Mar. Not much to see here except chickadees and nuthatches, as well as the odd redpoll. All the other birds seem to be hiding from me :flyaway:

Will go birding every month, though July is generally quiet. But it can be a good month to get to grips with identifying juvenile birds.

I like to look for butterflies this month, but there are so few about this year thanks to last years wet summer and this years freezing start to spring.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back