• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (1 Viewer)

Popped in for an hour or so last Sunday (29th)

Male Ruddy, 1 singing Reed Warbler, 1 LRP otherwise quiet - Oh and one of the Swans has a damaged wing, whether it is a fox attack or something more sinister i do not know.........

Laurie -

A couple of visits recently.
29/06/11
A LRP and a Common Sand were the highlights

12/07/11 (today)
Highlighted by a stunning male WHINCHAT feeding on the meadow field between the main enterance and the small fishing pool, showed well for around 30-40 mins in the late morning (about 11) then flew to a tall tree, where i got a shocking photo (digi-binned), and while i phoned someone about it, it dissapeared and i didnt see it again, but there is a secret meadow which you cant view from tracks where it couldve dissapeared into..
8 Common Tern on the main lake + 3 on chemical pool, 2+ Garden Warbler and a Family flock of 4 Bullfinch

Insects
many Gatekeeper Butterflys, Lots of 'white' sp butterflys, a few small tortoiseshell, and Common Damselflies, lots more that i have probs missed.
MB

Last edited:
Just Got back from a morning visit to sheepwash,
Birdwise it was extremly quite, with only 3 Common Tern of note.
Insects were everywhere.
Highlighted by my first ever Grizzled Skipper on a blackberry bush, also manadged photo's of mating Blue-tailed Damselflys and a few Common Blue Damselflys, a Brown Hawker also posed for photo's and i saw a female Common Blue Butterfly, amongst loads and loads of Gatekeeper and meadow brown, a few Speckled woods around aswell
MB

Grizzled Skipper

Hi MB, Are you sure it was a Grizzled Skipper? they usually fly from end of April to early June according to Butterfly Conservation Warks.
I remember many years ago I thought I had some there but later realized it was a moth ( Latticed Heath I think it was?) See if you can get a photo of it.
I must try and get down SUP soon. Dave Waite had a Greenshank there recently.
Geoff

Hi MB, Are you sure it was a Grizzled Skipper? they usually fly from end of April to early June according to Butterfly Conservation Warks.
I remember many years ago I thought I had some there but later realized it was a moth ( Latticed Heath I think it was?) See if you can get a photo of it.
I must try and get down SUP soon. Dave Waite had a Greenshank there recently.
Geoff

You may be right about the call of Latticed heath,
it struck me more as a butterfly stance rather than a moth if that makes sense? But i agree with you.
, Having googled Latticed Heath, it looks identical, the Baring on the flanks of the body look spot on! cheers for that :t:
I do have photo's, just my lead for the computer broke and im waiting for a replacement to arrive.
Good Call :t:

The water levels at Sheep were looking good for waders, hence me visiting abit more, however today the water levels were up high again on Pumphouse Pool.
The small marshy Pool's surrounded by reeds (i cant describe where it is) have a very low water level and looks amazing for a crake :smoke:

They had some maintanence work going on along the raised path when i got there which may have accounted for the lack of birds.

In general
On 27/07/11
A single Common Sand and a family party of 3 Grey Wagtail.
Many butterflys, mostly Gatekeeper, but a single Common Blue posed well and a brown hawker was showing along the raised path. ( i got photo's of a different brown hawker at the Chemical pool today)
There is also a pair of Stock dove around on site.
DSCF4463.jpg

SDC17047.JPG
Photo's from said date
MB

Quick visit Sun 7th 1230-1315 - did'nt note any waders..........

Brood of 7 Tufties
Brood of 7 well-grown Mutes
Single ad Common Tern with 2 juvs

Laurie -

Quick visit Sun 7th 1230-1315 - did'nt note any waders..........

Brood of 7 Tufties
Brood of 7 well-grown Mutes
Single ad Common Tern with 2 juvs

Laurie -

There are at leat 3 Different broods of tufties now, 1 of 7, one of 3 and another with a single chick.
And the single adult common tern with 2 juvs is exactly what i saw too on my last couple of visits
MB

Some photo's from yday
SDC17243.JPG

SDC17242.jpg

SDC17236.JPG

SDC17241.jpg
Pics show Brown hawker, Blue tailed Damselfly mating + single and also the moth form yday with Geoff correctly re-identified as Latticed Heath
MB

Have they bred there this year? No LRPs on the main pool?B :)

Hi Gavin, How you doing?
I've done one visit to SUP this year, on the 13th May. There were 2 LRP and a Lapwing on Pumphouse Pool then. I didn't see any Common Tern but they may have nested on Rattlechain tip.
Geoff

Have'nt noted that any LRP's bred this year - i do'nt think that the access down to the waters' edge helps, it allows activity too close to the island and thus the cause of disturbance. People take dogs right down to there to run about and enter the water. I also noted the other Sunday that there is a note about water bacteria etc in both English and another language which is possibly Polish? That's a new one, upon following the track down to the edge i came across 3 people, 2 males and 1 female who were friendly enough an were barbecueing a chicken and sunbathing with packs of beer which had all been brought there in a shopping trolley - apart from the disturbance to breeding wader aspect it doe'nt bother me i just hope that the rubbish was taken home? Whilst on this note the rubbish around the other fishing pool has to be seen to be believed.

All in all a bit off-putting really - is there a Polish communty locally?

Laurie -

Juv Greenshank today roosting on the fishing pool by the river all day and switching to the main pumphouse pool to feed.
Showing very well while it was roosting, and seemed quite settled!
Other than that very quiet, a Kingfisher was showing.

Insects;
Southern Hawker
Brown Hawker
Common Blue Damsel
And this 'Golden' Dragonfly, any ideas???
SDC10157.JPG

SDC10208.JPG
MB

Dragonfly

Juv Greenshank today roosting on the fishing pool by the river all day and switching to the main pumphouse pool to feed.
Showing very well while it was roosting, and seemed quite settled!
Other than that very quiet, a Kingfisher was showing.

Insects;
Southern Hawker
Brown Hawker
Common Blue Damsel
And this 'Golden' Dragonfly, any ideas???
View attachment 343147

View attachment 343148
MB

Hi, Looks like Common Darter Regards, John

In line with the regional trend atm, 2 ARCTIC TERN flew through Sheepwash today, an adult lingered on the Chemical (albright and wilson) pool for around 5 mins from 3:18- 3:24 where it flew north!
Later around 4:50 a Juv dropped in from nowhere on the Pumphouse Pool, where it dip fed untill around 5:10 Where it flew off in an East (ish) direction.
Both Terns were viciously mobbed by BHG and LBBG quite a few times while they were there, prehaps the reason for their premature departure.

However, the highlight of the day goes to a stunning SPOTTED FLYCATCHER that perched, at its closest, 3 metres from us, we had just walked through the tunnel from the Mound side and had a quick check of the small marshy pools (name??), nothing there so we walked towards the tame bridge and the flycatcher flew across in front of us, and perched on a dead tree about 20ft away, for the next 10 mins it gave stunning views as it perched on trees next to where we were standing, then dissapeared for quite some time, after a few dog walkers had gone through, long enough that we presumed it wouldnt come back, so we were about to leave, when i looked back, and the flycatcher was perched on a birch tree next to the river, out comes the camera, and i got a vid and pics that will apear on the blog (eventually).
One of the pics (against Blue sky) was when we first found it, the 2nd when we walked away and it reapeared.
a 3rd of the adult arctic tern
SAM_0081.JPG

SAM_0086.jpg

SAM_0103.JPG
MB

Last edited:
At SUP today after 6th form:
A eclipse male WIGEON on the main pool, showing quite well from the raised path, also 3 Teal (females)
SAM_0471.JPG

Nice site tick in Wigeon

On the 26/09
1 F Teal, 6 Pochard and a single Grey wagtail on the river
MB

Arctic Tern - Sheepwash

Juvenile Arctic Tern on Pumphouse Pool this morning, sitting on the western rocky islands, leaving every so often to feed.

Attachments

• RBA-1.jpg
    RBA-1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 150
One of my rare visits to an old local patch. Depressing how overgrown and neglected it's become, but it could still be good if we could get the Sandwell Council to take an interest.
5 Grey Heron, 30+ Pochard, 11 Goosander and 3 Water Rail were seen around the various pools.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back