• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please help! Mourning Dove: Can I move the nest with no harm done? (1 Viewer)

Lawchik

Good evening,

I am looking for some help before I do something harmful. A Mourning Dove has made a nest in my hanging basket on the porch. My husband would like to move the nest 6 feet from where it hangs now. With the nest being so close to the front door, we are worried about scaring the new babies, when they arrive.

Can the parents find the nest if we move it?

Thank very much!

I guess it wouldn't be hard for the adults to find the nest again if it's only a few feet, but ask yourself if you really need to move it.
Not sure how the law applies to moving nests out your way, but it'd be trouble here in the UK.

Hello Lawchik,
I must say I think the law anywhere is an ass if one cannot move a nest such little way for such good reason without being hung-drawn-and-quartered for it, I cannot see any harm in that either and generally parents are very adept at finding their own, even more so when there are chicks. To be sure you could get in touch with your local bird lot whoever they are in your neck of the woods and check, or even a vet who may point you in the right direction.

BUT on the other hand a lot of birds don't mind being that close to humans, obviously the parents thought it was a great abode to be had - a hanging basket being the equivalent to penthouse accomodation? - and chicks just get used to what they know from egg/hatchling point on. I've had nesting right by my backdoor which is like Piccadilly Circus and yet they weren't fazed in the least, never in seven nesting seasons.
Good luck and please do let us know how the dove family progress, Bluetit

Hi Lawchik,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

If your primary reason for moving the nest is concern for the birds and disturbance near the house I would leave it alone. If the birds are happy enough to have built the nest there I see no reason why the young should not be OK.

Let us know how you get on.

the birds will be OK where they are, probably. so long as you not in and out the house every 5 minutes. I used to work in a garden centre and a mistle thrush was nesting in a hanging basket with people constantly walking under it every minute or so, this thrush succesfully raised 5 chicks and was a pleasure to watch them grow up.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice! I found this site while searching for info on the Mourning Dove. Very informative! Have a great night.

Some friends of mine had doves nest in a hanging planter outside their back door for three years in a row. The door opened onto a small enclosed patio where my friends spent quite a bit of time. The birds were very happy where they were. Just try not to peek too often. |;|

Welcome to BF.

Morning dove returned and is meeting on my light fixture. Last time one Lil dove fell and landed on my glass table below. The other survived because I put a mesh net to break the fall Can I move the nest? I want to put it in a hanging basket....

I'm looking at it this way. If the parents built the nest with constant movement in and out of the door then I don't think you or they will have a problem.

Last edited:
I would worry that they won't, in fact, realize the nest has been moved. If birds went to nearby nests instead of exactly their nest, I'd think they would wind up on each others' nests.

The reason the law says "don't move nests" instead of "only move nests when reasonable" is because "don't" is much easier to legally define than "reasonable". Also because someone could screw with a nest and then claim they thought that was reasonable.

If the birds built the nest there, probably that activity level is fine. If they don't abandon the eggs before said eggs hatch, they definitely don't mind the activity. I've read a theory that birds may nest near humans intentionally, as protection from predators. IIRC some hummingbirds will nest in or near eagle nests, as eagles aren't interested in eating such small prey, but will scare off predators that would.

Last edited:
If the birds built the nest there, probably that activity level is fine. If they don't abandon the eggs before said eggs hatch, they definitely don't mind the activity. I've read a theory that humans may nest near humans intentionally, as protection from predators. IIRC some hummingbirds will nest in or near eagle nests, as eagles aren't interested in eating such small prey, but will scare off predators that would.
Some never leave the nest ... ;-)

...lemme just fix that real quick.

Though, humans do nest near other humans to avoid predators! Mostly those predators are things like "tigers" and "Vikings" and "terrible housing market".

I have mourning doves that have made a nest on my balcony and the eggs have hatched but there's a hawk in our neighborhood that came and carried the adult bird away but the other adult is still coming back at night to feed the babies. Will the babies survive if there's only one adult bird around or will it find another adult bird to take the other ones place

Hi Mourning Dove Coo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

No, the remaining adult won't pair with another bird but will do its best to raise the young alone. You could assist a little by providing some food (bird seeds) for the adult, but don't place it too close to the nest or it may distress the adult if other birds get too close.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. Please let us know how they get on. Bear in mind that all the chicks may not survive though.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back