• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia Etosha NP 13- Jan 2019 2 (1 Viewer)

More opinions on this two.

1- Shikra
2- Cannot really decide in this juvenile sunbird Marico or Dusky but the second should not had green breast , some more to Marico.

Attachments

• shikra-7757.jpg
    shikra-7757.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 24
  • sun s-7723.jpg
    sun s-7723.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 17
I'd say 1 is Shikra, note the red eye and yellow cere.

Where does this "Shikra with red eye" thing come from? It actually is also repeated in the Princeton guide, however the Shikras we saw in Kuwait had decisively yellow eyes!

I would put the bird more likely as Ovambo Sparrowhawk.

Where does this "Shikra with red eye" thing come from? It actually is also repeated in the Princeton guide, however the Shikras we saw in Kuwait had decisively yellow eyes!

SASOL 'cherry red eye'.......

SASOL 'cherry red eye'.......

Ovambo has a red cere and brown eye.

I looked through a lot of Shikra images, seems like there is quite a lot of variability (provided the IDs are actually correct, on random internet search, one never knows). However attached is one of our Shikras, so you can see what I am talking about :) I have no firsthand experience with Ovambo really, so it was just an idea.

Attachments

• 1-shikra.jpg
    1-shikra.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 10
I looked through a lot of Shikra images, seems like there is quite a lot of variability (provided the IDs are actually correct, on random internet search, one never knows). However attached is one of our Shikras, so you can see what I am talking about :) I have no firsthand experience with Ovambo really, so it was just an idea.

Juveniles have yellow eyes, this looks like a transitional plumage?

I agree with Andy.

Jan, adullt Shikra have diagnostic cherry red eyes. Juvenile have yellow eyes, so I understand your confusion

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back