• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Settings recommendations for G3? (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
My G3 with 100-300 lens should be arriving shortly, and I won't have much time to experiment with bird photography before going on a trip. Would be interested to hear settings recommendations regarding the following (earlier panny cameras with the same lens might have similar reqts, so feel free to chime in if you have one of those):

--Image stabilization: on for both camera and lens, or only one?
--Noise reduction? (I plan to be shooting JPEGs and do no or minimal post processing).
--Sharpening?
--ISO (auto or ?) Don't want to go higher than 1600.
--Aperture priority exposure setting at 5.6? (I'm assuming I'll be at max zoom most of the time for bird photos).
--Extended optical zoom on?
--autofocus setting, e.g. spot focusing?

Jim

Last edited:
I have the GH2 w 100-300, but most of my standard things probably are applicable:

Image stabilization on both places, I use mode 1 so far (not much time to do controlled experiments so far on type)

I have left NR and sharpening at default so far, because I have been using RAW+jpg, so if NR is excessive, I have something to fall back on.

In the menu, I have a place to set maximum iso used by auto-ISO, and I have set that at 3200 (default was either 400 or 800 per my memory) - I probably would use 3200 as my starting point if I was to get a G3 in my hands as well -- and yes, auto iso on.

I use S-priority (big change from my days with the FZ18!) because the shutter chosen by A-priority just seems to be too slow (1/160 even in good light). Shutter is preset at 1/640 most of the time, faster in the middle of the day and slower in low light, but not really below 1/400 if I can help it.

As I also save in RAW, extended zoom is not an option.

Not mentioned: I have the S-priority and +1/3 in ev saved as custom setting on C1. The +1/3 is because I find the image slightly too dark most of the time, and correcting afterwards often increases the noise. The +1/3ev might be different (not necessary) on the G3, the jpg engine sounds like it is different.

Not mentioned: I take most photos on single point AF with the smallest possible point and with AF on halfpress only (not continual AF). Birds in flight on multiple AF points, at least when the sky is the background (these settings are also included in what is preset in the custom setting).

I also tried to make the menu point where the exposure setting stayed constant when half-pressed, but I am not sure I got that right.

Niels

Last edited:
My G3 with 100-300 lens should be arriving shortly, and I won't have much time to experiment with bird photography before going on a trip. Would be interested to hear settings recommendations regarding the following (earlier panny cameras with the same lens might have similar reqts, so feel free to chime in if you have one of those):

--Image stabilization: on for both camera and lens, or only one?
There is no in-camera IS on any Panasonic micro four thrids - it is only lens.
--Noise reduction? (I plan to be shooting JPEGs and do no or minimal post processing).
Set to -2
--Sharpening?
+1
--ISO (auto or ?) Don't want to go higher than 1600.
I tend to set manually as if it is auto on aperture priority the camera goes for low ISO anf low shutter speed. You need higher shutter speeds than it often selects.
--Aperture priority exposure setting at 5.6? (I'm assuming I'll be at max zoom most of the time for bird photos).
--Extended optical zoom on?
Shoot raw mostly - not available.
--autofocus setting, e.g. spot focusing?
Spot focus on smallest size setting and use one of the custom settings (C1) with spot focus on largest size setting and EV +1 for flight shots. AFS not AFC.

Jim

Have added comments above. Hope that helps.
Sean

Thanks for comments so far. Camera has arrived and am pleased with ergonomics--no problem with the grip even with the longer lens. Will want to start shooting tomorrow and don't have time to read CD manual.

A couple of questions:

--I set to point focusing and exposure. When I press shutter half way to focus camera appears to enlarge the small portion of the screen that it is focusing/setting exposure on to fill whole screen. This is very distracting--I need to see whole shot of course. How do I prevent this from happening?

--Couldn't find settings for sharpness, noise reduction, and extended optical zoom in the menus. Any hints as to where these are hiding?

--Wonder if there's a way to set a minimum shutter range? Would prefer this to using shutter priority because I want higher shutter speeds if the light allows.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for comments so far. Camera has arrived and am pleased with ergonomics--no problem with the grip even with the longer lens. Will want to start shooting tomorrow and don't have time to read CD manual.

A couple of questions:

--I set to point focusing and exposure. When I press shutter half way to focus camera appears to enlarge the small portion of the screen that it is focusing/setting exposure on to fill whole screen. This is very distracting--I need to see whole shot of course. How do I prevent this from happening?

--Couldn't find settings for sharpness, noise reduction, and extended optical zoom in the menus. Any hints as to where these are hiding?

--Wonder if there's a way to set a minimum shutter range? Would prefer this to using shutter priority because I want higher shutter speeds if the light allows.

Best,
Jim

re1: The enlargement of the screen happens when the camera believe you are trying to do manual focus. If you have the camera set at AFS, then you probably also have the menu set to AF+MF (at least if the menu works like the GH2 menu). With that setting, if you half press and then turn the outer ring of the lens the slightest, then the enlargement will happen. You could:
-make sure you do not touch the MF ring
-set the menu to AF only (if you use the lever to set to MF, that should still be possible, but you are no longer able to first AF focus and then adjust with MF)
-disable the MF aid in the menu somewhere.
Of these options I would recommend the first.

Re2: cannot help off the top of my head

Re3: I have not seen any such capacity.

Niels

On the G3 pinpoint focus (a new option not available on GH2) ALWAYS enlarges - you cannot turn it off, and thus this is a useless mode for most bird photography. Therefore you have to go to single area focus and select the smallest area.

Sharpness and NR are in "Photo Style" on p1 of REC menu and can be set individually for each photo style.

No min shutter - unfortunately!
Sean

Thanks for the help guys! Got both problems straightened out. Am definitely enjoying the higher ISO capability, faster autofocus, manual zoom, and bigger viewfinder vs. the FZ-18. Makes it possible to shoot the little guys flitting around in a shaded forest.

Am also experimenting with the extended optical zoom at the small picture size (where the "magnification" enhancement is greatest). Feel I have just about the same "reach" as I had with the FZ-18 plus TCON 1.7 with those settings. Also trying Intelligent Resolution and Intelligent Dynamic Range.

One problem I'm still struggling with is the auto focus misfocusing. Tried AFS and now will try AFC. Don't know if Quick Auto Focus is worth the battery drain.

As Hobbes suggested, apart from the much better image quality at higher ISO's (which is critical for bird photography of course), I'm not finding the JPEG image quality that much better than the FZ-18. But haven't tried any direct comparisons yet. Maybe I'll have to try RAW at some point.

Best,
Jim

Thanks for the help guys! Got both problems straightened out. Am definitely enjoying the higher ISO capability, faster autofocus, manual zoom, and bigger viewfinder vs. the FZ-18. Makes it possible to shoot the little guys flitting around in a shaded forest.

Am also experimenting with the extended optical zoom at the small picture size (where the "magnification" enhancement is greatest). Feel I have just about the same "reach" as I had with the FZ-18 plus TCON 1.7 with those settings. Also trying Intelligent Resolution and Intelligent Dynamic Range.

One problem I'm still struggling with is the auto focus misfocusing. Tried AFS and now will try AFC. Don't know if Quick Auto Focus is worth the battery drain.

As Hobbes suggested, apart from the much better image quality at higher ISO's (which is critical for bird photography of course), I'm not finding the JPEG image quality that much better than the FZ-18. But haven't tried any direct comparisons yet. Maybe I'll have to try RAW at some point.

Best,
Jim

Hi Jim
I'm glad you're getting to grips with the G3 now. I shall be interested to hear how you find the Intelligent Resolution and Dynamic Range.

With regards to the JPEG image quality, as time has gone on, I've actually come to appreciate the subtle improvements that you do get with the G3. I have been amazed at its dynamic range (I think that's the right term) - it's much more subtle and true to life than my old superzoom. It picks up gradation in tone and colour very nicely even in the most challenging situations (where I'm basically expecting miracles from the camera). The other thing I'm enjoying is the reduction in general noise. It does feel closer to a DSRL in terms of image quality, especially in favourable lighting conditions.

All the best
Hobbes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back