• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pale yellow bird - albino siskin? (1 Viewer)

Shirl

Hi everyone,

I wonder if there is anyone that can help me ID this unusual visitor to me garden in Scotland. This bird was spotted for the first time yesterday flying in and feeding (at sunflower hearts) with a group of siskins.

Initially I thought it was an escaped canary but I have convinced myself that I can see markings of a siskin. I am very curious what this is but don't have the best of photos so far. It was raining and the photos were taken through glass and through beads of water - my excuse for the rubbish photos.

Any suggestions please.

Thanks, Shirl
www.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk

Attachments

• Yellow bird3a.jpg
    Yellow bird3a.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Yellow bird4.jpg
    Yellow bird4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Yellow bird with siskin male.jpg
    Yellow bird with siskin male.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 219
Hi there Dave :)

Sorry, but I'm new to birding. Is a leucistic bird different from albino? Looking at photos of leucistic birds they all see to be pale yellow. I have a few partial albino blackbirds regularly visiting my garden. What makes the birds yellow - is it genetic or an abnormality?

Thanks for your help,
Shirl

Hi there Dave :)

Sorry, but I'm new to birding. Is a leucistic bird different from albino? Looking at photos of leucistic birds they all see to be pale yellow. I have a few partial albino blackbirds regularly visiting my garden. What makes the birds yellow - is it genetic or an abnormality?

Thanks for your help,
Shirl

Hi Shirl,
Albino would mean no colour pigment at all in the feathers & the eye would be Red,Leucistic birds as you say are mainly Yellow :t:

All the best,

Dave

Wow, what a fantastic-looking bird. yes, it's a leucistic siskin. Leucism means no dark pigment, but not albino (which means no pigment at all).

Hi again Dave and hello Poecile :)

Dave – Thanks, yes I did notice my searches for leucistic came up with mainly yellow birds.

Poecile – Thanks, ah… I understand better now - no dark pigments. That is why I can see signs of markings on the wings etc.

I’m pretty sure this is a male siskin as some other photos I have shown its head tilted at a different angle and it appears to have a very light brown tinge at the top of its head. All I need to do now is get photos from outside :-D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back