• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiny Scopes (1 Viewer)

RockyRacoon

Hi everyone, I am probably going to buy a small 'scope instead of going for something huge which I will not be able to take to my local patch or if I think I am going to walk huge distances.
I only know of two models, the Opticron Mighty Midget and the VIKING AV-50.
Preferably the scope should be compatible with the digiscoping kit I am thinking of getting - kyocera sl400r digiscoping kit.
Does anyone know of any other scope or if either of the above scopes are compatible with the kyocera?

Cheers,

Jake

I've got the new Nikon ED50, which is very good indeed optically. There's a thread on it somewhere in the Nikon forum. I've taken some decent digiscoped pictures with it, using a CP4500 and would suspect you could do the same with a Kyocera. It'll probably set you back a little bit more than most of the other small scopes (particularly for the lens) but I suspect it's the pick of the bunch.

Andrew Whitehouse said:
I've got the new Nikon ED50, which is very good indeed optically. There's a thread on it somewhere in the Nikon forum. I've taken some decent digiscoped pictures with it, using a CP4500 and would suspect you could do the same with a Kyocera. It'll probably set you back a little bit more than most of the other small scopes (particularly for the lens) but I suspect it's the pick of the bunch.

I concur. The new Nikon does seem to have a good write-up and be remarkable value.

I ended up purchasing several scopes for several scenarios. My "big" scope is a Nikon ED78 c/s 25-75x zoom eyepiece. this may not seem the brute it once was to carry when used with a scopac or mule type accessory.

Needless to say, you'll probably end up with both - later if not sooner;-)

Q

I have the MMII but didn't get the standard eyepiece - I got the HDF zoom 40862 which is quite a good fit on the lens adaptor of my Minolta Z1 (50mm dia) - the Minolta is not a digiscoping camera but the principle works.
A problem with such a light scope is that a camera (unless small) makes the scope very back heavy even though I have a sliding plate head.
The idea of a small light scope is great - weighs less than my bins.

certainly sounds a great little scope...

http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/reviews_scopes.html

NIKON ED50 FIELDSCOPE
This is potentially what serious travelling birdwatchers have been waiting for as this lightweight travelling scope is ED quality and fully waterproof. Close focus to 3m, length 209mm (50) 207mm (50A). Remarkably compact and lightweight, these Fieldscopes provide superior waterproof reliability (tested to a depth of 1 metre for 5 minutes). They are fully compatible with nine conventional Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces,although the old 20x is not recommended due to vignetting. Eyepiece adjustment: 24x becomes a 16x, 30x becomes a 20x, 40x becomes a 27x and 20-60x becomes a 13-40x.The Nikon ED50 is supplied with a case.

Price for the Nikon ED50 Fieldscope body only is £299.00

The scopes can be light, but you still need a tripod, which adds weight. If there is a hide, you can rig some sort of device like the ones people use to attach a scope to a car window.

yep Nikon ED50 is superb. In hides work really well with the cullman shoulder/desk pod. I use a slik http://www.thedigitalcamerashop.co.uk/product_details.php?id=1016

it only cost £19 with the scope, not I should mention from the above retailer. of course if you decide to buy a full size scope later if you go for a Nikon you already have the lens.

The tripod scope combo weighs less than many scopes. I lent it to friend in Norfolk and she said you didn't know you were carrying it. I use it at my local patch all the time or for when I can't be convinced I need a scope.

There is also the Kowa 501/502 which costs 120-150 dependent on lens. and the Kowa 504ED 15-30 zoom £299

The advantage of the Nikon and for that matter the Opticron Midget is you can choose different lenses. If you look at the midget then look at the HDF lenses.

My understanding is the Nikon is the only one that is waterproof. I'd be interested how the Opticron with HDF lenses compares to the Nikon.

Last edited:
Like Chris, I have the Midget with the HDF 40862 zoom. It is only a few weeks old, and when purchasing, I had the chance to compare to the Nikon ED50. When using side by side, the Nikon does have a noticably brighter view. Regarding clarity of image, there seemed very little difference.

My requirement is similar to Jake's, in that I wanted something small and lightweight for carrying over distances, and not too big that it would be left at home. Being waterproof was not an issue to me. Price was though (the Nikon set-up was 50% more expensive than the Opticron) so I had to determine which one was better value for me, based on the use I would give it.

I went for the Midget and have had no regrets. It is a great little unit, and well exceeds my expectations.

I would say, if budget is not a restriction (and/or you want something waterproof), then go for the Nikon. If you want a great scope at excellent value for money, then you will never have any regrets choosing the Opticron. It is down to the user (their budget, requirements, amount of use, etc) so take a trip to one of the retailers demo sessions at local reserves and try them out for yourself.

I have not tested it's suitability for digiscoping. I would like to, and so would welcome input from others who have tried. The small objective lens may be an issue.

Martin

I've had the Kowa 501 and the Opticron MM2 and far prefer the Opticron, even with the standard eyepeice it out performs the Kowa, but with an HDF it is far better.

The Nikon ED50 is a much better scope, it's brighter and sharper. If you are digiscoping with it the ED glass will be a huge advantage. That said at twice the price of the Opticron (body + eyepeice) it's not suprising.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back