• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, again (1 Viewer)

diegoBE

Hello,

Several months without writing, but I read the forum often.

I continue doing photos with my SW, but lately I do not use TC, only Canon40D and telescope (960mm), for the quality of image that is obtained.

You can see my last photos in the gallery that is in my signature.

Also to say to you that I opened a group of Flickr, where some persons we are raising photos with this system. Also the direction is in the signature.

Regards and thanks to all that you do experiments in order that we learn the others.

And of course, sorry my english.

DiegoBE

Hi Diego !

Welcome back, and your English is fine ;)

Remind of your scope again. You say 960mm without TC ? Which scope is that ?

Nice gallery Diego. Not happy with your TC? When I first convert DOI for birding, I am not happy with results. Both TC cannot match up details of non TC but cropped to size. Until I got my Cosina modified TC. Gave me 2.4X and great clarity. But I can't use it when dim and when there are high contrast with lighting such as bright backlight.

Attached here is one of Eurasian Tree Sparrow with 80ED + 2.4X TC on Sony A550. No cropping or processing. Taken from 8 m.

Hello,

Several months without writing, but I read the forum often.

I continue doing photos with my SW, but lately I do not use TC, only Canon40D and telescope (960mm), for the quality of image that is obtained.

You can see my last photos in the gallery that is in my signature.

Also to say to you that I opened a group of Flickr, where some persons we are raising photos with this system. Also the direction is in the signature.

Regards and thanks to all that you do experiments in order that we learn the others.

And of course, sorry my english.

DiegoBE

Attachments

• _DSC0561R.JPG
    _DSC0561R.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 128
Hi,

Musoman, yes I say 960 for the crop factor...

Alphan, Thank you. I have a kenko TC 2x and and use it in some occasions, the results are not bad, but without TC they are better :), I think that the TC works better for a bird small that this relatively nearby, that for a bird big that this to 40 or 50 meters, in these cases the images lose very much...

I tried it with a Celestron Ultima Barlow also, but finally I have sold it.

And lately I read all your post using modified TC,lenses etc...But I do not decide.

The sparrow is interesting, can you post it bigger?

Regards.

Diego, I found that TC will only give improved performance compared to 600mm and crop under certain circumstance. The sunlight must be bright enough to be able to spot on focus, target must be contrast enough to compensate the very shallow DOF and no bright back light. Maybe if I improve the flocking and baffling, it will improve.

On the contrary, I prefer direct shot and crop for near objects. Even 100% crop loose very little details. But like Paul said, experience will count a lot. I need lots of practice to improve any TC shots.

Attached a bigger Sparrow. Again, uncropped and no processing done. Only resize for posting.

Attachments

• _DSC0561R Adj.JPG
    _DSC0561R Adj.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 117
Thought I'd post a version of your sparrow with a little processing just to show how it comes out. Plenty of detain in there. Like you say, baffling the front of that telenegative will boost contrast. Have a look at the three photos I posted yesterday taken with my Miranda telenegative and also the photo showing my baffling. The three images I posted show the level of contrast that can be achieved and all three of those photos were posted with the levels as shot. I noticed quite a few dust spots in your image so your sensor could do with a clean. Using high magnification teleconverters increases the f stop to a level which easily shows up any dust on the sensor.

Paul.

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks Paul for the touch up. I always like to post un processed so that they can see what it can do and of course, processing will depend on individual taste. But your simple touch up shows how great the prospect are. Dust on my sensors???? Are you kidding?? Did you count how many of them LOL. What do you expect when at times I left my camera exposed to dust for long enough for me to unscrew the extension tube parts, adjust the length, adjust the baffle, screw back the mounting, then only mount the camera back. And that happen every time I started testing something... Honestly, I was too carried away with what the scope and other add-ons can produce that I over look my sensor.

Musoman, wait till your baby arrives..... There's an oriental saying "Good horse doesn't start the race first" , literally translated. Can't wait for you to show results.

Dust on my sensors???? Are you kidding?? Did you count how many of them LOL. What do you expect when at times I left my camera exposed to dust for long enough for me to unscrew the extension tube parts, adjust the length, adjust the baffle, screw back the mounting, then only mount the camera back. And that happen every time I started testing something... Honestly, I was too carried away with what the scope and other add-ons can produce that I over look my sensor.

The sensor on my 450D is completely knackered and covered in dust. The built in dust removal system doesn't work anymore but that was from too many cleaning sessions with swabs. I wont make that mistake again on my next camera. I clean it manually every few weeks but even after a clean there's always some dust spots I have to clone out of my photos. With the thousands of photos I've taken I should think the shutter will be the next thing to go and then it will be time for something new. :t:

Will be interesting to see how Muso's new scope will do. Having owned basic doublets in the past I think CA will be a pain but shall hold judgement for now.

Paul.

It could well be a pain, but i shall just have to be aware when taking shots of birds against dull white skies, as i think they're probably the worst, although there may be other compositions that induce CA to rear its ugly head.

But at the price of £240 for 600mm @ f5, I will be happy enough to put up with some CA, which i can deal with in CS4

Sadly, i have received the scope and am now having to send it back to Germany, as the company's packing guys cant interpret orders from the sales guys, so it seems.

They sent me the wrong scope, despite emailing them first with a photo from their own website attached, to make sure i got the right one. I even got a reply from the manager to say ' yes' we have that one.

Last edited:
It was meant to be this beast - an SW short tube Achro but the Black Diamond model, which is all black. They sent the black and white regular model, which i could have got in the UK for the same price, had i wanted a black and white.
Thats why i was particular about emailing them and sending a link of a photo of the scope from their own website, and still they couldnt get it right

BKR1206OTA.jpg

The trouble is, knowing it wasnt the right scope, i didnt want to get any marks at all on it, as i knew it would be going back, and didnt want any excuses about it being used first

So it's basically the same scope, same glass and everything but a different colour scheme. Must admit the all black looks nicer as that black and white isn't all that appealing.

Paul.

yep, the B+W is too bright, just like gold ones of old. I cant find the all black model in the UK

It only weighs 1lb more than the 80ED you have too, so no big deal on weight. Though i was trying to get away from weight, hence the spotting scopes, but i failed to get any joy there

;)

Actually, the point of buying an all black one was to save me the bother of doing all that

If that incompetent scope company dont get their act together, i may have to get a black and white one, more's the pity

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back