• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura: Vegas Atlas: Still worth visiting? (1 Viewer)

I've visited the Vegas Atlas area a number of times in previous years and had some really good birdwatching. However, early in April this year my wife and I took a day off from our walking holiday to drive to this area for a days birdwatching . I was surprised to see that quite a bit of the area was being prepared for the planting of fruit tree and that there was little sign of rice preparation and/or flooding.

I'm again visiting in late October, being based in Torrejon el Rubio, and was wondering whether anyone has recently visited the Vegas Atlas area and whether it is still worth the drive down to this area?

Many thanks,
Andy Hannaford

I am sure this will help: new Release of the Crossbill Guide Extremadura available!
This book, the 4th edition, is at 288 pages a lot longer than the previous ones. We’ve added many more routes and sites, especially in the south (Badajoz Province) and in the northern mountains (Sierra de Gata, Las Hurdes, La Vera, Sierra de las Villuercas). These areas are a little off the beaten (birder) track, and excellent for ramblers and for enjoying the wildflowers, butterflies and the beautiful scenery - as well as the birds. Other new or improved routes are those that visit the wetlands, such as those in the Guadiana valley and at Arrocampo.

see https://issuu.com/crossbillguidesfoundation/docs/cg33_extremadura_issuu

Did you go?

I've visited the Vegas Atlas area a number of times in previous years and had some really good birdwatching. However, early in April this year my wife and I took a day off from our walking holiday to drive to this area for a days birdwatching . I was surprised to see that quite a bit of the area was being prepared for the planting of fruit tree and that there was little sign of rice preparation and/or flooding.

I'm again visiting in late October, being based in Torrejon el Rubio, and was wondering whether anyone has recently visited the Vegas Atlas area and whether it is still worth the drive down to this area?

Many thanks,
Andy Hannaford

The whole area is undergoing massive change, with ever more intensive agriculture including a shift from rice fields to soft fruit crops leading the way. In October you would have found the rice fields still wet, but some areas other than Vegas Altas are perhaps better for rice field birds now, such as near Palazuelo and other patches from there across towards Santa Amalia. The Alcollarín Reservoir is also worth a good visit too.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back