• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In a Somerset Garden (1 Viewer)

32. Stock dove.

I must go around with my eyes shut.... I only discovered you can see Glastonbury Tor from the top of the field!

I have never climbed Glastonbury Tor, I have been passed it several times though, on the way to either Shepton Mallet or Streete.

Plenty of rain here, no midges yet. I'll send them your way when they emerge.

........not enough rain here.... but E-mail me some midges... watching the sun go down is just too pleasant here without them.... you can just sit and do nothing.

I have never climbed Glastonbury Tor, I have been passed it several times though, on the way to either Shepton Mallet or Streete.

You should... next time you're up here shopping!... If you climb the Tor.... you can see me walking the dog........ in the far distance!

If you can see the Tor then you are not far from some great reserves.
Shapwick,Ham Wall and Greylake.

Aye, I've heard they're good... but I've only been here less than two weeks, so plenty of time to explore!.... I was thinking of going over to Cadbury Castle on the weekend... not necessarily for th e birds, but it looks an interesting place!

You should... next time you're up here shopping!... If you climb the Tor.... you can see me walking the dog........ in the far distance!

I think there is an easy route up to it, Quercus, if I ever get the chance to stop & am not speeding through Glastonbury going elsewhere, I will wave to you, way over in the distance on your dog walk.|:d|

I took a photo of the Tor for y'all.... it's not that close... I zoomed in!... but look!...... a flying saucer appeared...... there be funny goings on 'round Glaaastonb'ry, there be!

Attachments

• disc99.jpg
    disc99.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 60
I took a photo of the Tor for y'all.... it's not that close... I zoomed in!... but look!...... a flying saucer appeared...... there be funny goings on 'round Glaaastonb'ry, there be!

Well, they do say ley lines meet there, so it must be attracting the little green men.:-O

List is looking even better now.

It had to happen; that's the first one you've got that I still need for my garden list! I predict many more.

James

Sorry!... I'll have one sent round by First Class Post!

I am cheating a bit on my definition of "garden"... It's more of a local patch around my garden, but it's the area that I live and work in, so it feels like home ground.

Having said that... I did have the occassional yellowhammer on the bird table in my last garden in Scotland!

I've not yet seen a Mistle thrush here, (not many Song thrushes, and a solitary redwing)..... shouldn't I expect to see more?

Nice one! Although not sure about the cheating bit - a garden has to be pretty defined if you're going to call it garden birding/a garden list whatever....

Anyway, not really trying to pinpoint your location, but wondered if you were down Penselwood way at first, (3 counties meeting), but then you seem to be reasonably-ish close to Glastonbury so maybe not....

Had a couple of birds on my garden list when we lived in Wincanton which don't think you've got yet- Firecrest and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. And they were proper, in the garden, which measured about 10 by 12 metres! Woodcock through the garden one evening, also had a Honey Buzzard fly low over and directly overhead once, which was fairly gobsmacking. On the other hand, not sure if our list was that high - I think I got up to 80 or 90 or so within a 2 mile radius of the house... that'll probably take you about another 3 weeks at the rate you're going?? ;)

Last edited:
Nice one! Although not sure about the cheating bit - a garden has to be pretty defined if you're going to call it garden birding/a garden list whatever....

Anyway, not really trying to pinpoint your location, but wondered if you were down Penselwood way at first, (3 counties meeting), but then you seem to be reasonably-ish close to Glastonbury so maybe not....

Had a couple of birds on my garden list when we lived in Wincanton which don't think you've got yet- Firecrest and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. And they were proper, in the garden, which measured about 10 by 12 metres! Woodcock through the garden one evening, also had a Honey Buzzard fly low over and directly overhead once, which was fairly gobsmacking. On the other hand, not sure if our list was that high - I think I got up to 80 or 90 or so within a 2 mile radius of the house... that'll probably take you about another 3 weeks at the rate you're going?? ;)

Without geting down to Post-code prescision.... Wincanton is the nearset town ( Although if "friends" want to PM me, I'll give full details so you can googlesatalite me!)

There's a few things not on the list, that I'd be expecting soon.... I haven't got Mistle thrush, Goldcrest, or any of the migrants yet!

I'm sure there's L S Woodies here... but as it's summut we didn't get in Scotland... I don't know what I'm listening for.... every time I think I'm hearing one... its a nuthatch (another non-Argyll bird).

The "Estate" list in Scotland (700 acres, 2 miles of coast) got to about 110, I doubt if I'll get up to that number.

My only ever Little auk was 'feet up' on a manicured lawn near Brighton... !

40. Mistle thrush.

I knew they were there, i just wasn't looking, or listening, carefully enough!

I've never lived anywhere with Nuthatches before.... and I'm loving them, sharp appearance and sharp characture, and nice and tameish........ but what a racket!!

41. Sparrowhawk.
.....chased a blackbird into the corner of a fence and got stuck for a wee while!... both Sprawk and Blackbird escaped with nowt but a bruise or two.

Nothing new yet... but I Googled my house and found this quote:-

"The other night I discovered that fifty feet from our house, through a break in Quest the trees, you can see St Michaels Tor at Glastonbury. Elaine didn't believe it until I showed her and she's so delighted. It makes the house so much richer to have the Tor in sight. Am I in any way getting over to you the sence of wonder, the almost breathless thing? There is no question that there is magic and all kinds of magic."

Written March 1959, fifty years before I "discovered" the Tor through the gap in the trees, by John Steinbeck.. the American author..... He used to shoot rabbits from my bedroom window!

There is magic here!

42. Swallow

Yeah.......... my Scottish swallows just stopped by on their way North! .. I'm going to leave the outhouse door open in case they want to nest in there!

There were also lots of Willow warbler warblings in the hedges... but I didn't actually see one..... or the Blackcap that was tick-ticking!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back