• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Kenya: Mid-Nov. 2023 (1 Viewer)

Trogoni

Belgium
Hi, hope it's ok to announce here a quest for max. 3 participants to my custom trip to Kenya with main focus on the South East, starting and finishing in Nairobi, for about 2 weeks in November.

Locations (still in random order) in prepping itinerary:

- mainly :
  • Nairobi NP: ca. 1 day
  • Tsavo West NP: ca. 2 days
  • Taita Hills: ca. 1,5 day
  • Tsavo East NP: ca. 1 day
- supposedly too:
  • Arabuko Sokoke Forest (and possibly Sabaki River Mouth area): just a few days
- perhaps also Central Kenya Highlands:
  • Aberdare NP: ca. 1 day
  • Mt. Kenya Forest: ca. 2 days
- possibly adjacent birding sites on the road

Approx. costs could most efficiently be estimated for a group of 4.

I'm still quite flexible and the keen guide I've recently contacted, also seems to be. If only with 2 people, he'd use a smaller safari-ish van.

Please let me know if you're interested via DM.

Last edited:
Hi anyone who also likes to see Taita Thrush, Somali Ostrich, Clarke's Weaver, Sokoke Scops Owl and other goodies in South East Kenya:

re-think about 3560 $ / person
for 10 days guided birding with 4x4 safari van,
in a group of 3 people (beside the guide who also drives).
This includes transport, accommodation, guiding fees, all taxes and park entry fees (Nairobi NP, Tsavo E & W, Taita Hills and Arabuko Sokoke).

It seems currently to be a fair price - even a bit less expensive if in a group of 4, if you wouldn't mind it'd get a bit less spaceous..

Possibly, it's still negotiatable to ideally stretch the itinerary over one or two extra days, for a small extra, since it doesn't have to be a race imho. Most bird species there would be lifers for me (largely except for many long distant migrants, but wouldn't mind to observe them there too, what's an advantage of travelling around the equator in November).

Customizably, an additional, yet brief visit at the Kinangop grasslands is also high on my bucketlist for the Sharpe's Longclaw.

Cheers,

Stijn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back