Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 15:36   #176
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
Excellent, thanks!

Quote:
(Not sure this can be called a "protologue", though.)
Hmmm . . . if it isn't, would that make the genus invalid, or at least better cited to a different later author?

(edit: BHL ascribes that part Abt.2, Bd.1 to 1836 ??)

Last edited by Nutcracker : Monday 9th December 2019 at 15:41.
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 16:36   #177
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Hmmm . . . if it isn't, would that make the genus invalid, or at least better cited to a different later author?
The name is available from there. (Although some authors, like Mathews, have in the past treated all the names introduced in a similar way by Reichenbach as unidentifiable.) I just always feel it is rather odd to call a drawing a 'protologue' -- somehow this lacks the λόγος (= verbal utterance, discourse) dimension entirely. But it may just be me.

Introduction without any included nominal species. The type is Hirundo rupestris Scopoli 1769 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/31117794 by subsequent monotypy in Parzudaki 1856 https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/33450559.

Quote:
(edit: BHL ascribes that part Abt.2, Bd.1 to 1836 ??)
Yes, I know. They are wrong.

Last edited by l_raty : Tuesday 10th December 2019 at 08:13.
Old Monday 9th December 2019, 22:49   #178
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Excellent, thanks!
Old Saturday 14th December 2019, 13:23   #179
Taphrospilus

Oeuvres completes de Buffon

I gave up to understand all this different publications of Oeuvres completes de Buffon. Gubernatrix might be even in Biodiversity Heritage Library to find. But which Edition can I find this Volume 8 where Lesson described Gubernatrix?

OK here.

Last edited by Taphrospilus : Saturday 14th December 2019 at 13:43.
Old Saturday 14th December 2019, 16:44   #180
l_raty
laurent raty

Also https://books.google.com/books?id=R1o2AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA295
(If you want to download a pdf of the whole thing, without having to do it one page at a time.)
Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 13:21   #181
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Hirundo leucopyga Meyen, 1834 (now Tachycineta leucopyga)

According to Mlíkovský (and also in Zoonomen), published on page 73 in Meyen, F. J. F. (1834), Beiträge zur Zoologie, gesammelt auf einer Reise um die Erde. 4. Vögel. Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher 16 (Supplement) 1: 59–124.

A search for this in BHL gives what appears to be possibly the right paper here (title page), with the correct author and partly same article title, but with a different journal title. However page 73 gives no mention of any Hirundo, nor does a text search find 'Hirundo' anywhere in the paper.

Any clarifications where I've gone wrong, please?
Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 13:57   #182
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Hirundo leucopyga Meyen, 1834 (now Tachycineta leucopyga)

According to Mlíkovský (and also in Zoonomen), published on page 73 in Meyen, F. J. F. (1834), Beiträge zur Zoologie, gesammelt auf einer Reise um die Erde. 4. Vögel. Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher 16 (Supplement) 1: 59–124.

A search for this in BHL gives what appears to be possibly the right paper here (title page), with the correct author and partly same article title, but with a different journal title. However page 73 gives no mention of any Hirundo, nor does a text search find 'Hirundo' anywhere in the paper.

Any clarifications where I've gone wrong, please?
You missed the "Supplement" detail in the ref, and BHL lacks it, I think. (Or at least, I always failed to find it there.)
https://books.google.com/books?id=_ckAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA73
Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 15:54   #183
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
You missed the "Supplement" detail in the ref, and BHL lacks it, I think. (Or at least, I always failed to find it there.)
https://books.google.com/books?id=_ckAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA73

Excellent, thanks! Though the item at BHL is - or at least claims to be - the supplement (see printscreen below!). Maybe BHL uploaded the wrong book by accident?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	8
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	718220  
Old Sunday 16th February 2020, 11:31   #184
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Excellent, thanks! Though the item at BHL is - or at least claims to be - the supplement (see printscreen below!). Maybe BHL uploaded the wrong book by accident?
Quite possibly.
You are indeed right that BHL claims it to be a supplement to the Tomus 16 of Nova Acta Physico-medica Academiae Caesareae Leopoldino-Carolinae Naturae Curiosorum (= Band 8 of Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher), but the title page does not cite the journal, and it wasn't even published at the same location (Berlin, vs. Bonn & Bratislava for the journal). (Compare to the title pages of the Google Books volume, or to the supplements of other volumes at BHL.)
Old Sunday 16th February 2020, 22:48   #185
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Quite possibly.
You are indeed right that BHL claims it to be a supplement to the Tomus 16 of Nova Acta Physico-medica Academiae Caesareae Leopoldino-Carolinae Naturae Curiosorum (= Band 8 of Verhandlungen der Kaiserlichen Leopoldinisch-Carolinischen Akademie der Naturforscher), but the title page does not cite the journal, and it wasn't even published at the same location (Berlin, vs. Bonn & Bratislava for the journal). (Compare to the title pages of the Google Books volume, or to the supplements of other volumes at BHL.)
Thanks again! Is there any way of notifying them they have the wrong book there?
Old Monday 17th February 2020, 12:01   #186
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Is there any way of notifying them they have the wrong book there?
I never tried, but there is this : https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/contact/
This would presumably be a 'Bibliographic Issue'.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: