• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Links to digitized versions of original sources of bird names (2 Viewers)

BHL Blog post about Mathews' Birds of Norfolk and Howe Islands.
https://blog.biodiversitylibrary.org/2019/10/digitising-a-rare-book-for-bhl.html .
Gregory M. Mathews The birds of Norfolk & Lord Howe Islands and the Australasian South Polar quadrant : with additions to "birds of Australia"
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...62631#/summary .
Added to BHL on 9/15/2019.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/biodiv...7711040648157/ .
Strictly limited to 225 copies thanks to Museum Victoria.
Kentrophorina:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...ge/34/mode/1up .

Mark, none of the links is your latest "quote" work, at least not for me ("quoted" from where?).

/B

PS. Though nice to have a peek at the great work being done by the BHL team.

Björn, the quote is from Mark's post #132 above, where the links work fine.
(The quote was presumably done by simply copying/pasting the text of the original post, which indeed does not preserve the links.)

Nascha Ochota

Where can I find the dubious hunting magazine/journal Nascha Ochota No. 20 or how is it written in russian?. What is the title of the article about:
  • Passer domesticus hyrcanus Zarudny & Kudashev 1916 p. 36
  • Passer domesticus persicus Zarudny & Kudashev 1916 p.37
  • Passer domesticus bactrianus Zarudny & Kudashev 1916 p.37

All this spellings e.g. here making me crazy.:-C

P.S. The only article I found on this magazine was here.

Unfortunately, I know no online source for this journal either.
The title of the journal is "Наша охота" in Russian -- I'd render it as "Nasha okhota" in our alphabet, in an English context at least. ("Nascha ochota" looks rather like an (old ?) German transliteration.) The note you're after is listed [here] (but no .pdf/.djvu) as:
Зарудный Н.А., Кудашев А.Е. Несколько слов о формах домашнего воробья (Passer domestica) // Наша охота, 1916, кн. 20, с. 37-38.​
[Zarudny N.A., Kudashev A.E. Some words on the forms of House Sparrow (Passer domestica). "Our Hunting", 1916 (20): 37-38.]

(I don't know if "domestica" was a typo that was introduced during the bibliographic compilation, or if it was in the original title as well. Also: 1916 was before the 1917 Russian spelling reform; the Russian title of the article above is in post-reform spelling, thus the original was presumably slightly different. Possibly: "Нѣсколько словъ о формахъ домашняго воробья".)

Last edited:
Genus Nycticorax - widely ascribed to T. Forster, 1817, cited as on page 59 of his Observations of the natural history of swallows ... to which is added a general catalogue of British birds (1817 book here at BHL).

But page 59 includes no mention of Nycticorax, nor any other heron; and his only mention of night herons, on page 82, gives it as a species of Ardea, no new genus mentioned.

Explanations, please!!

Genus Nycticorax - widely ascribed to T. Forster, 1817, cited as on page 59 of his Observations of the natural history of swallows ... to which is added a general catalogue of British birds (1817 book here at BHL).

But page 59 includes no mention of Nycticorax, nor any other heron; and his only mention of night herons, on page 82, gives it as a species of Ardea, no new genus mentioned.

Explanations, please!!

Wrong citation, I think:

Nycticorax T. Forster, 1817: Synop. Cat. Brit. Birds: 59

Last edited:
Not the right book, indeed. ;)
Forster T. 1817. A synoptical catalogue of British birds; intended to identify the species mentioned by different names in several catalogues already extant. Forming a book of reference to observations on British ornithology. Nichols, Son, & Bentley, London.
p. 59, 20 -- https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13330976, https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/13330914
In this book, Forster gave two lists of British birds, one list with 'usual' generic limits, 'classical' Linnaean names, 'new' names (mainly names introduced by Leach), and vernaculars; then a second list where he made a lot of changes to generic limits, and used the same vernaculars.
Nycticorax is used on p. 59 with one included species, Nyctocorax infaustus, corresponding to the "Night Raven"; on p. 20, the "Night Raven" is Ardea nycticorax: this makes Nyctocorax infaustus Forster 1817 (the type of Nycticorax by monotypy), a new name for Ardea nycticorax Linnaeus 1758.

Last edited:
I don't know of any place where all the 36 Oeuvres complètes de Buffon are to be found (digitized), but at least one Atlas is to be seen in BHL, here.

Hopefully it's the one you're looking for.

/B

Martin, I gave it a second try ...

Could this possibly be the one you're looking for, dated "1837"?
Auteur(s) : Buffon, Georges-Louis Leclerc, comte de, 1707-1788 - Cuvier, Georges, 1769-1832 Daubenton, Louis-Jean-Marie, 1716-1800

Titre : Oeuvres complètes de Buffon avec des extraits de Daubenton et la classification de Cuvier

Date de publication : 1837-1839

Lieu de publication : Paris
Here, published in six volumes (No. 5 and No. 6 is Oiseaux I and Oiseaux II), see left column "voir un autre tome".

Though no Atlas found.

However, enjoy!

/B

PS. Or is it this one, or this one? It would be far more easy to help if you revealed what taxa/taxon you're looking for. ;)

And, if possible, from what year? Buffon + 1833-1835 and/or 1837 is far to vague.
--

Last edited:
Martin, I gave it a second try ...

Could this possibly be the one you're looking for, dated "1837"?
Here, published in six volumes (No. 5 and No. 6 is Oiseaux I and Oiseaux II), see left column "voir un autre tome".

Though no Atlas found.

However, enjoy!

/B

PS. Or is it this one, or this one? It would be far more easy to help if you revealed what taxa/taxon you're looking for. ;)

And, if possible, from what year? Buffon + 1833-1835 and/or 1837 is far to vague.
--

This is definetly what I have looking for. It seems that plates are (at least partially) included in the volumes. Unfortunatelly not good quality. I was looking for Traviès plates and no specific taxa. Nevertheless all this Buffon oeuvres and different editions are very confusing.

Last edited:
Dictionnaire universel d'histoire naturelle ... in BHL, has some excellent scans of several plates made by Édouard Traviès, for example here.

Enjoy!

/B
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back