• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any experts on Stork-billed Kingfishers here? (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I´m a worried man and I hope to get some good news here. 4 days ago and I discovered a Stork-billed Kingfisher nest. The baby look to be pretty big

Picture #1

2 Days ago I saw one of the parents bringing fish, a big fish and I guess the baby is pretty big because of the size of the fish

Picture #2

Today I spotted the nest again, broken. 2 pieces on the ground and I´m worried that someone have destroyed the nest. But then I got hope thinking that it might be the parents destroying the nest to let out the babies.

Picture #3 is the nest this very morning
Picture #4 and 5 is the pieces on the ground

I know that my theory about the bird breaking the nest is a little " WHAT I HOPE" Anyone that can provide me with some experience about Stork-billed Kingfisher nests

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• stork-billed_kingfisher3.jpg
    stork-billed_kingfisher3.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 15
  • stork-billed_kingfisher4.jpg
    stork-billed_kingfisher4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 356.jpg
    356.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 357.jpg
    357.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 358.jpg
    358.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 8
Dear members and bird watchers

I´m a worried man and I hope to get some good news here. 4 days ago and I discovered a Stork-billed Kingfisher nest. The baby look to be pretty big

Picture #1

2 Days ago I saw one of the parents bringing fish, a big fish and I guess the baby is pretty big because of the size of the fish

Picture #2

Today I spotted the nest again, broken. 2 pieces on the ground and I´m worried that someone have destroyed the nest. But then I got hope thinking that it might be the parents destroying the nest to let out the babies.

Picture #3 is the nest this very morning
Picture #4 and 5 is the pieces on the ground

I know that my theory about the bird breaking the nest is a little " WHAT I HOPE" Anyone that can provide me with some experience about Stork-billed Kingfisher nests

Aladdin

I think yout theory is correct however, 'Handbook and the Birds of India and Pakistan', Ali and Ripley, describes a tunnel nest, drilled in to an earth bank in common with many other Kingfisher species?

Have you ever seen another SbK nest in this way?

Last edited:
I think yout theory is correct however, 'Handbook and the Birds of India and Pakistan', Ali and Ripley, describes a tunnel nest, drilled in to an earth bank in common with many other Kingfisher species?

Have you ever seen another SbK nest in this way?

Thank you andyadcock

I read about their nests this morning and they build nest in termites houses, old rotten tree and tunnels etc. From internet: Adults dig their nests in river banks, decaying trees, or tree termite nests

But I never found any information on if they destroy the nest when the babies are big to leave the nest.

I rally hope so as I really don´t want anyone having destroyed the nest. Great to have nesting SBK in my park. And there is Spotted Owlets nest close by the SBK nest. They have been there for years and today I saw their two babies, almost as big as the parents now.

First day I saw the SBK nest there was a Olive-backed Sunbird building nest 15 meters from the SBK. But it was gone the day after, good that they had not laid any eggs, at least when I saw the construction.

Aladdin

Last edited:
Thank you andyadcock

I read about their nests this morning and they build nest in termites houses, old rotten tree and tunnels etc. From internet: Adults dig their nests in river banks, decaying trees, or tree termite nests

But I never found any information on if they destroy the nest when the babies are big to leave the nest.

I rally hope so as I really don´t want anyone having destroyed the nest. Great to have nesting SBK in my park. And there is Spotted Owlets nest close by the SBK nest. They have been there for years and today I saw their two babies, almost as big as the parents now.

First day I saw the SBK nest there was a Olive-backed Sunbird building nest 15 meters from the SBK. But it was gone the day after, good that they had not laid any eggs, at least when I saw the construction.

Aladdin

I see no other way that the young could get out, the only other possibility would be a monitor Lizard?

I see no other way that the young could get out, the only other possibility would be a monitor Lizard?

Thank you!

I can accept and sleep good with a monitor lizard. There are several in the park and in the water around the tree with the nest.

But I would be upset if someone have destroyed the nest with a stick so I hope then that it is a lizard if the bird have not left the nest by them self. Would be nice with more SBK in the park as I understand that they babies don´t move far away

Thank you again and I wish you a pleasant weekend
Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back