• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The 7D has landed!!! (1 Viewer)

Phil sorry I forgot to mention, I have tried zone, spot with expansion and all points. The all points did work slightly better but it still hunted and it didn't get the part in focus that I wanted it either front or back focused.

Phil sorry I forgot to mention, I have tried zone, spot with expansion and all points. The all points did work slightly better but it still hunted and it didn't get the part in focus that I wanted it either front or back focused.

Christine
I'll try some smaller subjects in the next week or two. Its strange that it worked fine for me today, in bad light, when it won't for you. Perhaps someone else can through some light on it. Maybe there is a custom setting I have different to you. Saturday is a reasonable forecast may have a go then. I also want to try stacked tc and that will need really good light.

Phil

Your Conclusions

Looking at this thread, and others, there is a rather large learning curve involved with getting to grips with this camera. Add to this the odd glitch & news of poor copies, this is not good news when contemplating splashing a large (to me huge) amount of cash:eek!:.
A question then to those of you who are getting to grips with it :
In terms of image quality, are you over the moon with your purchase?:smoke:

Looking at this thread, and others, there is a rather large learning curve involved with getting to grips with this camera. Add to this the odd glitch & news of poor copies, this is not good news when contemplating splashing a large (to me huge) amount of cash:eek!:.
A question then to those of you who are getting to grips with it :
In terms of image quality, are you over the moon with your purchase?:smoke:
Coming from the 40D, the IQ is not a lot different although the extra MP's captures more fine detail (for a similar size crop you have almost twice as many pixels left). The real advantage of the 7D over a xxD Camera is the AF sytem - worth it for this alone IMO.

Coming from the 40D, the IQ is not a lot different although the extra MP's captures more fine detail (for a similar size crop you have almost twice as many pixels left). The real advantage of the 7D over a xxD Camera is the AF sytem - worth it for this alone IMO.

If I go for it, I'll be moving up from a 400D so both expect & need the difference to monsterous. It would have to last me a good while.

If I go for it, I'll be moving up from a 400D so both expect & need the difference to monsterous. It would have to last me a good while.
The difference would be more down to you rather than the Camera. With more MP's you have to get things right to take advantage of them.

For a start you need good support or a faster shutter speed than you can get away with on a lesser pixel camera as more pixels means that detail is spread over more pixels which can lead to so called softness because of pixel 'bleed'. Canon themselves recommend that the more MP's you have then the faster shutter speed you need (or a stable platform like a tripod).

You also have to get the metering right because if you underexpose and then push in processing then noise will be amplified (more so than on a lesser pixel camera). Exposing 'to the right' is something that should be practised with 18 mp's crammed on to a 1.6 crop Camera.

The AF is streets ahead of previous non 1 series cameras particularly for tracking flyers in AI Servo mode.

If you get things right then the 7D is a terrific birding Camera IMO but if you just press the shutter and hope for significantly better shots than you are getting now then you could well be disappointed.

The difference would be more down to you rather than the Camera. With more MP's you have to get things right to take advantage of them.
...............If you get things right then the 7D is a terrific birding Camera IMO but if you just press the shutter and hope for significantly better shots than you are getting now then you could well be disappointed.
Thanks roy, I'm certainly under no illusions on that point.:t:

I use a 400 prime lens with my 7D and sometimes sharpness could be better.I know this is probably down to me but I wonder if anyone has had a go with the AF microadjustment function setting and if so did it improve sharpness?

Max.

I use a 400 prime lens with my 7D and sometimes sharpness could be better.I know this is probably down to me but I wonder if anyone has had a go with the AF microadjustment function setting and if so did it improve sharpness?

Max.
Would not hurt to microadjust the lens Max, it cost nothing and you can always switch off the adjustment if you want. I have not got around to doing any MFA myself but I am perfectly happy with the shots I am getting from the 7D.

Did you see my post #706 which references the shutter speeds? could well be relevant if you are not shooting on a tripod.

I checked my 400mm with the 50d and it did not need any adjustment, need to get round to look at 7d and the 400mm think you need around 20m and the target, but I am still playing with my car, I shall go off to Welney Wash next week try and get some Bewick's Swans in Flight.

Would not hurt to microadjust the lens Max, it cost nothing and you can always switch off the adjustment if you want. I have not got around to doing any MFA myself but I am perfectly happy with the shots I am getting from the 7D.

Did you see my post #706 which references the shutter speeds? could well be relevant if you are not shooting on a tripod.

Roy.I did see your post on shutter speeds/pixels and since having the 7D I agree with your comments 100% especially as I take most shots hand held.

Yesterday we had bright conditions and I was able to wind up the shutter speeds.The results were much sharper but when I get a chance I'll have a go at MFA.

Max.

Went out yesterday with the 7D with a Kenko 1.4 tc ( pins taped) attached to my 400 prime.I went to Draycote Water one of my local patches.

The conditions were fairly good with a wintery sunshine.The auto focus worked pretty well most of the time.I used single point AF.

Because Draycote water is a large reservoir you have to do a fair amount of walking so,for me with my ageing body,I do not take a tripod so all shots were hand held.Had a lot of throwaways but did get some decent shots so I can say I'm pleased with the 7D when using a tc.

Here are a few shots I took.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_2089 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2089 (Large).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1990 (Large).JPG
    IMG_1990 (Large).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2291 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2291 (Large).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 205
Went out yesterday with the 7D with a Kenko 1.4 tc ( pins taped) attached to my 400 prime.I went to Draycote Water one of my local patches.

The conditions were fairly good with a wintery sunshine.The auto focus worked pretty well most of the time.I used single point AF.

Because Draycote water is a large reservoir you have to do a fair amount of walking so,for me with my ageing body,I do not take a tripod so all shots were hand held.Had a lot of throwaways but did get some decent shots so I can say I'm pleased with the 7D when using a tc.

Here are a few shots I took.

Max.
They look very good to me Max :t: - the 400/5.6 takes a tc very well and the 7D captures a lot of detail.

guys gone through all your posts thinking of upgradinig to 7d but it seems that theres a lot of adjustments needed to the camera which i dont understand .i like my 40d .

Thanks Guys

Gordon, you say you were "within the minimum focus range" for the blue tit, which to me sounds like you were too close for the camera to focus fully. The blue tit would have needed to be beyond the minimum AF distance, not within it. Just to clarify, I take it that you could photograph the jackdaw just fine. My guess is that you had the camera in On-Shot AF mode and the camera could not get a focus lock (because you were too close) and thus refused to allow the shutter to be released.

Did you get focus confirmation, either audibly or visually? If you were to shoot with manual focus or in AI Servo the camera would have allowed the shutter to release, whether or not the subject was properly focused. One-Shot will lock you out if the camera can't confirm focus. This is not unique to the 7D. It is standard operation for all EOS cameras I've ever used (I have six different ones).

Thanks for the reply and sorry it has taken me so long to get back - what I meant by "within the focus range" was that if I tried to focus manually I could slide through the sharp point and out the otherside, and of course go back through it again to the distal blur. Yes I was using Spot AF, but I was not hand holding, the camera was on a tripod - now I use Spot AF expansion as I attempt to work with macro as well. The problem has no re-occurred.

I have found with Macro lens that the camera constantly over-exposes by about two stops in sunny conditions - depending on how close I am to the subject -I also have to stop the ringflash down a couple of stops when I use that.

Back to birds - it is a great time to be photgraphing Dalmation Pelicans at Lake Kerkini (Greece) at least on the sunny days.

Attachments

• Red-dal01.jpg
    Red-dal01.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 103
Havent read through all of the posts, 29 pages is a bit too much ;) so apologies if any of this has been covered before,

1) If you shoot raw, turn off ALO, HTP same as the 50D,
2) if you use Lightroom, try Canon DPP instead, LR introduces loads of noise and softens the images up quite a lot too, and for some reason doesnt get the colours right!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back